Buying a used backhoe attachment - what questions should I be asking?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jloven

Thread: Buying a used backhoe attachment - what questions should I be asking?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-09-2017 @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks

Buying a used backhoe attachment - what questions should I be asking?

I am looking to purchase a used 448 or 485 hoe for my 3320. Are there any specific issues with these models I should know about? General backhoe attachment concerns? I may end up buying sight unseen so the more I know to ask, the better. Thank You for any thoughts!
    JD 3320, Box Blade, Rake, WRLong Diverter, Gator LD Grapple, CCM Toplink, RIM Guard, iMatch, Befco BRB - 284 Rear Blade, Pallet Forks, 448 Backhoe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Question #1 - Can I come look at it and try it out before I buy it.

Its hard to buy used equipment and have an idea what your getting unless you use it.

Brian

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    My biggest concern would be getting all of the parts to attach it to the tractor. There should be a frame of some sort that stays on the tractor when the backhoe is removed, and it's very possible that it will not be with the backhoe when you buy it, or it will not be the correct one to fit your tractor. Look at the JD parts diagrams and try to familiarize yourself with how it mounts so you know what to look for. Also look at the rods on the stabilizer and bucket curl cylinders. They are often damaged from coming into contact with large rocks. Light scratches or nicks are not really a problem, but heavier gouges can rust and/or cause fluid leaks.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Been there, Done That!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 93Mustang View Post
    I am looking to purchase a used 448 or 485 hoe for my 3320. Are there any specific issues with these models I should know about? General backhoe attachment concerns? I may end up buying sight unseen so the more I know to ask, the better. Thank You for any thoughts!
    I could not be happier with two purchases that I made off E-Bay on implements for my JD4200. These purchases were not taken lightly. I don't know your source, but with the two E-Bay sales, one for a 47 BH, and one for a 550 tiller, I had the benefit of checking feedback, etc. Communications, and photos are key! With the BH, I knew I had to buy the Mounting Plates for the tractor, and a Power-Beyond kit, so that was no surprize. On the Tiller, again, good pictures and communication were great, but that was a Plug/Play 3PH mount. One thing that I needed was a way to have this stuff loaded! The BH was in Northern New Jersey! The fellow had a track hoe that was able to load the Hoe on my trailer. With the Tiller, near Harrisburg PA, the guy rigged it up on an Engine Picker! I arrived while he was at work, jacked it up, and stole it like a 'thief-in-the-night'! (Kidding, It was Pay-Paled, and he knew I was comming!) Both trips had me leaving Buffalo at 4-5AM, and I turned around the same day. I've been sucessful. I also bought two Jeeps (different Dealerships) in Maryland on E-Bay. Flew out to Dulles, and drove them back later that evening! Like I said, Talk, talk, talk, to the seller!!! ~Scotty

Oh bye the way, did I say that my son thinks I'm 'nuts' for buying stuff without 'laying' my hands on it?
    Last edited by Scotty370; 01-02-2013 at 09:13 PM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I think that the advise that Brian and Scotty offered are key. If the seller seems squirmy, then the seller is likely not legit! I have had some interesting conversations with sellers on ebay.

For a large ticket item, I would still be nervous about the upfront paypal for the entire amount. It is nice to hear it works, but would still scare the heck out of me. Some of these dishonest people can really be good actors!

Good luck,

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    Congratulations on your purchase. I purchased a slightly used 448 backhoe last winter for my JD 3720. The guy had it on a 3320 so the mounting plates he had fit my tractor. He also gave me the power beyond kit off his tractor. Got a great deal, everything for $3500. I looked for at least 18 months before I found this one. Last summer I found a never used 18" bucket for $350 on Craigslist in Seattle. Shipping was $65, so got it here for less than half of a new one. I have used the hoe much more than I ever thought I would. It's a great tool I am sure you will enjoy.
    robpm and sterling40man like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements