Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Electric or PTO Pump for Spryer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks

Electric or PTO Pump for Spryer

I have been reading a lot of forum posts about different sprayers that people have purchase or home brewed. I am getting to a point where I really need something bigger than a hand/back type sprayer. I have a single acre with much of it being ditches that are extremely difficult to mow (weedeater is about the only method). I also have a lot of fence line around my property and frankly I could weedeat the property daily for two hours a night and have to come back and start over again. I need the ability to apply a total herbicide easier and more economically than currently.

I've been looking at several products, the majority of the 3-pt sprayers at my tractor dealers are way over priced for my budget. I can get a rig from Tractor Supply or Northern Tool for much cheaper.

TSC: They have a 3-pt unit that uses a PTO pump (not included) for $800. The Silver Series pumps which are NI rated and last the longest will run about another $300. They also have a 12V spray rig made by Fimco (terrible reviews of this product online) mainly with the tanks cracking dropping expensive product on the ground where it does not belong.

Northern Tool: They have one that is 12V and nothing else.

I kind of like the idea of getting one that is skid based and building a Carry All for it, having a tree gun could be useful, but a lot of added cost.

I would like to keep it multi-purpose; fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, or possibly even just water hauling. I keep leaning towards the PTO pump but am I over thinking all of this?

Help!
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    I have a FIMCO sprayer that is somewhere around 15 gallons and has a hand wand for the sprayer. It is 12v powered. I strap it to the back of my ATV and hook it to a spare battery strapped to the back rack on the ATV. I used to use it when I lived in Texas for my fence line etc. I had about 1 acre there and it was perfect. The pumps on the FEMCO sprayer's kind of suck but you can get decent life out of them if you thoroughly clean the sprayer out of any of the product and make sure have just pure water going through it before you put it up. The wands also like to gum up if you do not keep them clean. I keep a spare pump just in case. They were pretty cheap, can't remember if it was TSC or Northern where I bought the pump but it wasn't a lot of money compared to a whole new sprayer. If you have the ability I would use a ATV for spraying vs a tractor. A lot more maneuverable and easier to rig up. I would not spend $800 for a 3pt sprayer for a 1 acre lot. Not sure you will ever feel like you would get your money's worth out of it.

I mix up a double dose of Ground Kill and it kept my fence line clean for a good six months.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I do not own an ATV, I have desires to use it on larger properties than a single acre though too. The idea of being able to pump water would be nice but not sure it is the most economical method.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    I do not own an ATV, I have desires to use it on larger properties than a single acre though too. The idea of being able to pump water would be nice but not sure it is the most economical method.

Well if you are using it for a bigger property it changes the equation. Remember water is roughly 8lbs a gallon so you will be limited with how much you can carry with the tractor since you have a 1 series, not sure how much capacity you really want. You may want a tow behind since you can tow much more than you can carry but only if the terrain you operate on allows towing. I just know anyway you go, you end up with some money invested in a piece of equipment you generally do not use but once or twice a year.
    clarktr38 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It would definitely be a 3pt. Towable is not going to work for the terrain. I am just concerned that the 12V isn't going to give me the capability. But perhaps it would be better. Cost wise anyways.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 998 Posts

Electric or PTO Pump for Spryer

I just purchased the Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH mounted boomless unit with the PTO pump. It's a pretty rugged unit and the poly tank is a much heavier gauge than their smaller sprayers. I also wanted to avoid the electric pump. It has a spray wand with about 25' of hose. Just mounted it today and sprayed ~3 acres in an hour. So far, so good. It was $849 at Tractor Supply. Got another $100 off for the yard unit. No freight and no sales tax so I feel I bought it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    5304 and jhays like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    12 volt pumps are not the best at least not the ones from Northern or TSC. You can try Surplus Center.com, McMaster Carr or maybe Grainger to see if they have higher quality ones. I would keep a couple of spares so if you have one go down on you in the field you at least have a quick fix available. If you don't do a PTO pump then probably a gas powered pump would give you what you need but then you run up quite a bit in cost and have another engine to maintain.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks

What's the downside?

One way to look at it is what's the downside of each option?

If you go electric and it's not powerful enough, you are not out much. The cost difference between a three point sprayer with electric pump and just the tank really isn't a lot on some of the sites. If you don't get it clean and it craps out, it's a minimal loss.

If you go PTO, it's a lot more bucks and may in fact be over kill. We used to run 24-30' booms at up to 30 gallons/acre with a PTO pump. The pump would handle more but even with large nurse tanks, there's a point of diminishing returns when spraying large volumes. One thing the roller pump will give you is higher volume at any set pressure. If you have fruit trees and want to use a wand, that might be useful but for fence lines and ordinary purposes it may be overkill.

Other issues with the PTO pumps are getting the set screws tight on the shaft and the fact there is a fair amount of weight hanging on the PTO shaft. I'm not sure how well the PTO bearings would stand up to a roller pump hanging on over a long term with smaller tractors. Someone on the site with experience might know. You will want a pretty good pressure regulator with a roller pump. It's really easy to bump the throttle up and get lots more pressure than you expected. The electric pumps pretty much have a fixed flow/pressure so once you set the regulator it stays until you change fluids/nozzles etc.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

mn1025rfilb (05-30-2016)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-28-2018 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    I have 2 acres and use a 15 gal ATV sprayer on a carry all for my 1023E. I put a 2.1 gpm pump on last year a just made a 8' boom with 5 nozzles yesterday. It works good for my place, I looked at the 3 pt setups and they are out of my price range for what I need. The pump is a Fimco and has lasted 2 seasons. You can build something like this as money allows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160530_211336.jpg  
    2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2015 John Deere 1023E with D120 FEL
    2004 John Deere 717 ZTRAK Zero Turn Mower
    Frontier BB2060 Box Scraper
    King Kutter 6.5' Disc
    Leinbach 5' Soil Pulverizer
    Priefert Subsoiler/Middle Buster
    Behlen Country Carry All with B&B Tech 15 gal ATV Sprayer, 2.1gpm Fimco pump and 5 nozzle 8' boom

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-29-2017 @ 04:20 PM
    Thanks
    I got this when I bought my 1025R, very good quality, the no drip tips are nice. my neighbor has a cheaper unit and when he turns his pump off the nozzles drip, my unit drips very, very little. I also like the fact that it is mounted to my 3pt hitch.

here is a link to the company that builds them for John Deere.

Superior Tech - Sprayers - 45 Gal. Standard Electric 3-Pt. Hitch Model
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2032 sprayer 001.jpg  
    Doug likes this.
    2016 2032R - Turf Tires - 62" MMM Auto Connect - H130 FEL 53" Bucket - Piranha Tooth Bar - Ken's Hook's - Artillian Forks 24'' 42'' - IMatch - Ballast box - 54" 3 pt Snowblower - JD 45 Gallon 3 pt sprayer - CMP Attachments 3 pt Dethatcher - - JD Core Aerator - Trac-Vac 880 - 2060 Box Blade

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast