Any Suggestions to Fix this Deck Dolly Probem?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 3 Post By OldmanX
  • 2 Post By ErikR
  • 2 Post By RetiredDoc
  • 2 Post By RetiredDoc

Thread: Any Suggestions to Fix this Deck Dolly Probem?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Any Suggestions to Fix this Deck Dolly Probem?

I recently purchased a Deck Dolly to use with my auto-connect 60D mower deck. Now that it's assembled and attached to the mower deck, I find that I cannot lift it by its handles. Here are 2 photos from the Deck Dolly web site to show the problem. The first one is of a generic mower deck. Notice the clearance between the Deck Dolly handles which enable you to get between the handles to lift - like using your legs to lift a heavy wheelbarrow.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	deckdolly1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	189938

Now, here is the Deck Dolly for a 60D mower deck. Notice how there is no way to stand between the handles to lift due to the configuration of the 60D mower deck. The way the Deck Dolly is made, it's a back injury in-waiting. Once you get the deck up vertically, the next challenge is how to lower it back down while bending forward off balance

Name:	deckdolly2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	189946

I've been trying to come up with a way to be able to use the Deck Dolly. First, I've asked Deck Dolly to consider making two longer custom handles for me. Second, going to a fabrication shop and having them make longer handles using the Deck Dolly ones as a pattern. Third, just slipping about two feet of iron pipe over each handle to add extra space and leverage. Thant's complicated by the curved tops of the handles. Fourth, cutting the curved parts off, and using longer lengths of pipe slipped oved the remaining metal tubes. Fifth, bolting or welding additional metal tube lengths to each side of the short handles.

I'm sure someone else must have had, and solved, this problem with their Deck Dolly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-02-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: needed to add an apostrophe
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Is that long front hanger bracket removable? The one sticking up along side the handles of the cart? I know on my 62D deck it just slips off - it wouldn't even stay in that position by itself.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Is that long front hanger bracket removable?
    Yes, the front draft arms are easily removed...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Yes, the front draft arms are easily removed...
    Could you give me some help about how to? I've been looking and tryng but I can't get it to slip out of the brackets. It's hanging up somewhere. And, I don't have a mower deck manual. The dealer didn't deliver one with the tractor,and I've been waiting for one to come in. I assume the how-to-remove-easily instructions are in it. Thanks very much!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Could you give me some help about how to? I've been looking and tryng but I can't get it to slip out of the brackets. It's hanging up somewhere. And, I don't have a mower deck manual. The dealer didn't deliver one with the tractor,and I've been waiting for one to come in. I assume the how-to-remove-easily instructions are in it. Thanks very much!
    See the nut that my finger is pointed at. There is one on each side. Loosen/remove them and the draft arms will slip right out of the bracket on the mower. Observe how the spring is attached so that you know how to put it back on when you reinstall.
    JKR, BigJim55 and keane like this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

Try this...........

OMLVU25573_A2
    BigJim55 and 56Nine like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I, too, think that the Deck Dolly is a back injury waiting to happen. For me, it's not so much a problem with the draft arms as just how low to the ground you have to get the handles to get the thing to roll on its wheels. You're walking in a permanent stoop, which is a TERRIBLE thing to do to your back when you're supporting that much weight!

If you get him to make you some custom handles, let me know; I'd like a set too.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I bought two 2x2-inch square steel tubing wheelbarrow handles at Lowe's this afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to weld them to the sides of the Deck Dolly handles, giving me another couple of feet of leverage, and clearance so I don't have to unbolt and reinstall things from the mower every week. The Deck Dolly was supposed to be a simple way to drop the deck in the barn aisle and then move it out of the way until the next mowing. It still may be once I get the handle extensions done.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I bought two 2x2-inch square steel tubing wheelbarrow handles at Lowe's this afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to weld them to the sides of the Deck Dolly handles, giving me another couple of feet of leverage, and clearance so I don't have to unbolt and reinstall things from the mower every week. The Deck Dolly was supposed to be a simple way to drop the deck in the barn aisle and then move it out of the way until the next mowing. It still may be once I get the handle extensions done.
    Here are pictures of the result. I went with bolts instead of welding (didn't want to spend $280 on a tank of argon right now). The metal wheelbarrow handles entend about two feet beyond the original Deck Dolly handles. The Deck Dolly maker had handles that were one foot longer, but they needed to be shipped as oversize freight. That probably explains why the handles are so short to begin with. The extra two feet of lever arm length I created gives me space to put my hips between the handles and to lift with my legs. The transition from wheelbarrow lift mode into standing-the-mower-vertically is still a strain. I lift to the maximum wheelbarrow position and rest the handles on a sawhorse. Then I get under the handles and lift the rest of the way like doing squat lifts in weight training.

Name:	dolly2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	195713 Click image for larger version.

Name:	dolly3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	834.3 KB
ID:	195721

BTW, this is what a wash stall floor looks like before the first horse has been in it. The floor drain is under the mower.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-14-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    RandyM and Green Man like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements