Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 62c gage wheels

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks

62c gage wheels

My gage wheels on the 62c were worn out and flopping when I purchased the tractor.

I have new wheels, bolts, and dust covers now in hand. Big problem is getting old bolts off, they are a little worn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	190490

I was considering breaking enough of the old wheels off to let me vise grips or a pipe wrench on it. Any words of wisdom would be helpful. The picture is the worst one but they are all worn beyond getting a socket on them
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good Luck
    Doug
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-02-2019 @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks

62c Gauge Wheels

MeagerHair,

You could also use a dremel tool with cutting wheel to cut the plastic hub away so you can get a pair of vise grips or pipe wrench on what is left of the nut.
    BigJim55, OldmanX and TJR345 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Soak that nut in PB Blaster for a day or so to help your cause if they are all rusted like that.

Sears sells a Craftsman socket set that might help. Sears.com

I think they have some other types that work on rounded nuts like that too. I will use any situation to justify buying new tools and this looks like a good one to me.....
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with what others have said. The wheels are trash, so you can hack them off however you can. Once they are hacked off, liquid wrench or PB Blaster will always help and he vise grips should be able to spin those nuts off.

Mine don't look that bad, but several of mine are sloppy. It seems like a really bad idea that they don't swivel. I have been thinking about trying to retrofit a swivel wheel onto mine. Looking at the replacement wheels, it looks like they start out really smooth. I wonder if that is why they didn't feel like they needed to swivel.

Did you buy the OEM JD wheels? Looking around, I see aftermarket wheels that look like a match. I am generally a fan of using OEM JD parts but for something that is clearly a wear item, I am a bit torn.

Lee
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    Mine don't look that bad, but several of mine are sloppy. It seems like a really bad idea that they don't swivel. I have been thinking about trying to retrofit a swivel wheel onto mine. Looking at the replacement wheels, it looks like they start out really smooth. I wonder if that is why they didn't feel like they needed to swivel.
    The front gauge wheels on the 62D swivel - I wonder if the pedestal that slides onto the deck is the same diameter......
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    I agree with what others have said. The wheels are trash, so you can hack them off however you can. Once they are hacked off, liquid wrench or PB Blaster will always help and he vise grips should be able to spin those nuts off.

Did you buy the OEM JD wheels? Looking around, I see aftermarket wheels that look like a match. I am generally a fan of using OEM JD parts but for something that is clearly a wear item, I am a bit torn.

Lee
    Mine stopped being nice and smooth about the second time I mowed with them. If you go across any sort of driveway or gravel they get scuffed up quickly. It also didn't help I was mowing grass in Texas. The grass there is quite rough or was during the drought when I was there. They are definite a wear item but I would get JD parts. You know they fit and work that way. Look on Ebay or on line JD Dealers if the local guy seems to expensive. If you keep them lubed they will last a good while. Also if you set the deck correctly they will not spend all of their time on the ground being worn out. Mine travel lightly over the grass, theoretically they shouldn't touch but I am not that good at setting up a deck, nor do I care since the lawn I mow is just not good grass and just needs cutting.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Also if you set the deck correctly they will not spend all of their time on the ground being worn out. Mine travel lightly over the grass, theoretically they shouldn't touch but I am not that good at setting up a deck, nor do I care since the lawn I mow is just not good grass and just needs cutting.
    You just described my lawn perfectly. I am also on a very uneven lot. As it is, even with the wheels down a bit, I still scalp if I don't lift the deck in places. Honestly, my yard is a candidate for a smaller deck. My biggest issue is that they gouge the lawn in tight turns. It doesn't happen every time. It is much worse when the ground is soft. I have already set them up from where the previous owner used to run them. I think if I go any higher, though, I will risk scalping more often. I should probably spend some time trying to adjust the deck better and see if I can improve the situation.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    It seems that the front gauge wheel wear out and take more abuse faster then the rear.So I only by 2 at a time (I know all yours need replace but in the future) put the new ones on the rear and the rear to the front.This way your only buying two.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    It seems that the front gauge wheel wear out and take more abuse faster then the rear.So I only by 2 at a time (I know all yours need replace but in the future) put the new ones on the rear and the rear to the front.This way your only buying two.
    That seems like a good approach. I will look closely at my wheels, I may have two that are good enough to keep using for a bit.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast