Which tooth bar style works the best?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Which tooth bar style works the best?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks

Which tooth bar style works the best?

I did some searching on this topic and, while there was a lot of back and forth, this question didn't really seem to be addressed directly. There's basically two major classes of tooth bars: the snaggle-tooth traditional bars like the Heavy Hitch bar and the saw-toothed newer bars like the BXPanded Piranha.

In heavy clay soil containing many medium rocks (fist sized to cantaloupe sized), which style of toothbar will dig best if you're trying to do something like re-grade a hill or dig a trench a few inches deep but as wide as the bucket?

In heavy clay soil containing many medium rocks (fist sized to cantaloupe sized), which style of toothbar will dig best if you're trying to do something like get underneath underbrush and rip it out of the ground?

In case you can't tell it's toothbar-buying-time. I'd been settled on the Piranha but then I saw the Tractor Time with Tim that showed the HH bar and now I can't make up my mind.
    Levi, BigJim55 and wentonbrown like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    I did some searching on this topic and, while there was a lot of back and forth, this question didn't really seem to be addressed directly. There's basically two major classes of tooth bars: the snaggle-tooth traditional bars like the Heavy Hitch bar and the saw-toothed newer bars like the BXPanded Piranha.

In heavy clay soil containing many medium rocks (fist sized to cantaloupe sized), which style of toothbar will dig best if you're trying to do something like re-grade a hill or dig a trench a few inches deep but as wide as the bucket?

In heavy clay soil containing many medium rocks (fist sized to cantaloupe sized), which style of toothbar will dig best if you're trying to do something like get underneath underbrush and rip it out of the ground?

In case you can't tell it's toothbar-buying-time. I'd been settled on the Piranha but then I saw the Tractor Time with Tim that showed the HH bar and now I can't make up my mind.
    well- i have a tooth bar like tim has, only mine does not have forked teeth- only straight teeth for mine. as far as digging mine opened up a whole new world for me. but on the other hand i could see where the piranha bar could be helpful for other duties also-only u can make ur mind up, to which one u want or need-ok. good luck
    Doug, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 865 Posts
    Both styles have their own pro's and con's. The con's are not really faults, they are more like "the other style does this better".

Both styles are a noticeable improvement over a bare bucket edge.

I think it will be hard to get a fair comparison because there are likely not that many the have both. They finally decide which one to buy, it improves what they are trying to do and they tractor on happy as a pig in ......

I chose the Piranha for general versatility. It works great. For a LCUT or full size traditional TLB, I would chose the conventional tooth design.
    Doug, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    I can see where either would help you in your situation for different reasons. I have the Piranha because it was going to work the best for me and I wanted one I could leave on and still do everything I wanted to do, like back blading. I don't have hard packed clay so I don't know how mine would work in that soil. Just thinking about it makes me think that the traditional with the teeth like Tim has would break up the ground better for a better bite. I have used my Piranha to dig a hole in hard packed ground (not clay) deep enough to bury the tractor in it. Helped a neighbor that had a donkey die on him that needed burying. The Piranha did a great job for this. It cuts into the ground pretty good.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    I have the type of soil you have, clay and rocks. And I know my style of bar works really well for this soil type. Here are pics of my experience. Oh, and that berm behind the wall was all moved with my 2520, FEL, and tooth bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ToothBar-1.JPG   ToothBar-3.JPG   FEL 1.JPG   FEL 3.JPG   FEL 5.JPG  

Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Both styles have their own pro's and con's. The con's are not really faults, they are more like "the other style does this better".

Both styles are a noticeable improvement over a bare bucket edge.

I think it will be hard to get a fair comparison because there are likely not that many the have both. They finally decide which one to buy, it improves what they are trying to do and they tractor on happy as a pig in ......
    I posted a second video in Patrick's back yard with the HH toothbar. This time, digging up a driveway.

I can't compare with the Piranha since I don't have one. I can only provide the video of what I have...for your reference.
    I have used it on two other jobs...with video coming up at some point (only so much time).

I can say that the tractor feels 10-fold more "powerful" when digging with a toothbar. This is due to the physics of the bar. A much smaller surface area contacting the earth initially. Once it gets 'started', then the tractor is able to continue pushing.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ke-butter.html
    Heavy Hitch, Levi and PJR832 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 2,309 Posts
    I have a tooth bar similar to Big Jim's and Randy's. Back when I bought mine there was no such thing as Piranha or Heavy Hitch. A lot of us at the time had one built by Markham in NC for a very reasonable price.

This works perfectly for me - I don't know that I would want to replace it with either of those 2 that are available today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toothbar 070907 001_zpsw5j4zuh9.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	190650
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    A nice feature that our toothbar offers is the ability to change the teeth for different conditions / situations. We use a Pengo 230 shank and the teeth are readily available at most implement dealers. They pin on and can be changed in a matter of minutes. We just like how mean the twin tiger teeth look and dig! You also don't have to drill any holes in your bucket, simply slide it on over the cutter edge and tighten the screws.
    RandyM, Levi, joshn3448 and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Am I right that it looks like the HH bar is slightly more reasonable to only put on when I need to dig but leave off the other 90% of the time when I'm just moving stuff around?
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Am I right that it looks like the HH bar is slightly more reasonable to only put on when I need to dig but leave off the other 90% of the time when I'm just moving stuff around?
    7 set screws with HH, 2 bolts with Piranha. Not really much difference. Easy on either one.
    rtgt, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements