Root buster

Thread: Root buster

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-30-2016 @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks

Root buster

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ot-cutter.html

I'm thinking about modifiying my hoe so i can quickly insert a ripper/scarifier shank something like the link above. Maybe taking the tooth right off and grinding some serrations on the shank (like a guthook). How much do these shanks cost?
    2012 JD 1026R
    H120/49" FEL, 260BH/12", 2048L BB, 3PH Receiver, Piranha Toothbar, Rimguard'd R4s, 3PH Custom Ballast. Custom JDQA Multipurpose Forks, Multi-mount Grapple, ROPS LED's, Frame mount receivers , Backhoe dolly

Mods in progress: BH thumb, 3PH boom, 3PH subsoiler, man-lift cage

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Source in AK

I found the Ripper shanks your talking about at Craig Taylors in Anchorage or Wasilla. I took the basic ripper shanks and welded a 1" strip of 3/8" plate along the front. Once I had that plate attached I used the grinder to sharpen the leading egde like a knife blade. I built my own 3 pt attachment out of 3" x 4" tubing and cut slots for the rippers (kind of like the front section of a box scraper. I have 4 rippers in it. When I lower it all the way down I can motor right through all my black spruce cutting the roots like butter. I cut the trees so very little stump was standing up so I can safely drive the tractor over them. Several pases breaks all the roots then hooks the stumps and rolls them out. As you've probably found, getting implements in AK is very expensive so I've been looking at lots of pictures, buying the steel and making my own. Even figured out how to make my own rippers from 1" x 3" bar stock from local metal vender. I hope that helps with an idea.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuel Hoser For This Useful Post:

rockshaft (01-25-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Glad to hear your experience. The guys at my local steel supply know me pretty well! Since I don't have a plasma cutter or torch (just a mig) I thought buying a shank and just modifying it was the route I'd take, but I'm always on the hunt for the right size scrap (80cents/lbs) which up here is still pricey. I found a source of shanks online that sells them for undr 15$, but I'm thinking they are too small at only 5/8"thick. I'll have to give Craig Taylor a call, the reason I hadn't done so was I figured they would be asking $$.
    2012 JD 1026R
    H120/49" FEL, 260BH/12", 2048L BB, 3PH Receiver, Piranha Toothbar, Rimguard'd R4s, 3PH Custom Ballast. Custom JDQA Multipurpose Forks, Multi-mount Grapple, ROPS LED's, Frame mount receivers , Backhoe dolly

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    Fuel Hoser, In the thread that was referenced in this thread by Rockshaft you had contributed and stated the following:

I just got done welding up a unit out of 3x4 heavy walled tubing that basically holds 4 of the 18" ripper shanks. I put pin provisions so I can pin them up or down. It works off my cat 1 3 point hitch. I also welded a trailer hitch ball to the back of it so I can move my utility trailers around with it. I ordered my ripper shanks through Agri Supply (waiting on them). I like your idea of sharpening the leading edge to cut through the roots. All our roots are very shallow and up to 2" dia. A sharpened ripper shank will cut through them like butter. Thanks for the idea. I'll send pics once it is painted (green of course).
    Did you ever get it painted green and give us the pics of it? I would like to see the setup. If you did and can give me the link that would be great!

I am guessing you are not using it right now so if you did not get pics then we will probably have to wait a while.

Thanks
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    A guy on TBN had Michigan Iron make a ripper for his backhoe and he swears by the thing and the company that made it. He uses it for root busting, and it sure is one evil looking attachment.

Backhoe Ripper Tooth

Having one sent to Alaska could get pretty pricey I imagine.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

buried

Like everything this time of year it's buried. I got it painted black to start. I used it alot in the pasture busting out small stumps this fall. I did find that with it down all the way and cruising along it will stop the tractor when you find a big stump. I have found that knees bruise badly when they hit the tractor dash. I'll try and get pictures after the snow melts. It's -51 this morning and something tells me the snow won't melt for a couple more months.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    I can wait. sorry about your knees.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    A guy on TBN had Michigan Iron make a ripper for his backhoe and he swears by the thing and the company that made it. He uses it for root busting, and it sure is one evil looking attachment.

Backhoe Ripper Tooth

Having one sent to Alaska could get pretty pricey I imagine.
    I had seen that thread. I even contacted MIE last year and got a quote. I really like the design, but the cost, in addition to some accounts I read about the difficulty of swapping a hoe for a ripper made me think it wasn't worth it. The hoe itself can only tackle faily small roots, so I was thinking if there was a way I could add a modular tine that was sharp, even serrated, it might come in handy.
    2012 JD 1026R

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements