Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Corn picking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-22-2016 @ 10:40 PM
    Thanks

Corn picking

New to the forum. Have a compact series. Has anyone ever ran a one row corn picker with a compact? Has anyone ever used any of the small pickers that are shown on alibaba? We have a couple acres that we hand pick and am looking to speed up the process.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    welcome!!!!

what model do you have?
    Herminator likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    LBT, I moved the thread to a more appropriate form. You'll get better exposure here to answer your question.

Welcome to GTT. Please start an introduction thread just to say HI.
    dieselshadow and Herminator like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    The corn pickers I have been around needed the mass of the tractor to stabilize the picker,
    and make everything stay greasy side down on a grade,,,

The last picker we used was pulled by a JD 4010,, the rear tires measured 8 1/2 feet wide,,,

I know it was over 8 feet,
    because it would scare me to death to haul it on an F800 Ford that had an 8 foot wide bed.

With some of the tires hanging off,,,
    you were SURE the tractor was moving sideways when you went around a corner,,,

Last edited by CADplans; 06-06-2016 at 05:42 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

ga80486 (Yesterday)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbigtractor View Post
    New to the forum. Have a compact series. Has anyone ever ran a one row corn picker with a compact? Has anyone ever used any of the small pickers that are shown on alibaba? We have a couple acres that we hand pick and am looking to speed up the process.
    we i should say grandparents on both sides only had a 1 row picker, one was pulled along, and the other i think mounted to the b at the time. i can't remeber that much corn picking that way. my other grand pap put his corn to the silo. here's where i got to drive the tractor and wagon as uncles walked along the side and cut the corn and piled it on the wagon, all the while i was driving-ha!!

what is this alibaba u talk about-thanks.
    johnH123 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    4110 20 hp. All flat land and well drained
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not looking to attach a large wagon or anything. Was planning on just hooking a 4x8 small trailer and unloading as needed. I had seen some small pickers on alibaba from China but a bit worried about part availability. I was told by a local used equipment dealer that I would have plenty of pep to run a one row with pto hp that I have. Seems like a technology that hasn't been revived for some time.
    Herminator likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilbigtractor For This Useful Post:

arlen (10-21-2018)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilbigtractor For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (06-07-2016)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    You should hunt up a website called "The Corn Picker Forum". Guys there pick up serviceable pickers for $100 to $300. You need a one row pull type that would run off the 540 rpm rear PTO. The wagon elevator reaches back and is 9-10 feet or more in the air to unload into a 6'x10-12 ft long wagon. To elevate into a 4'x8' cart may be difficult, the ears may fly right over your cart!

You probably have enough HP to run a picker, they don't pull that hard, but to pull the picker and a cart/wagon through a field, even a flat level field, you better have dry ground for good footing even with 4wd. Your tractor is much lighter than the tractors used to pull pickers back in the '50's & '60's. Dad used his '51 FARMALL M to pull a 1-row Wood Bros. Pull type picker he converted into a "snapper" by removing the husking bed that removed the husks off the ears. It was fine for picking sweet corn or corn to feed the hogs, but you don't want all the husks in a crib with ear corn. A FARMALL H could have easily pulled the picker, which was about 27 PTO HP and 4500#. The wagon we picked into could hold up to 100 bushel.

You should look for brands like International Harvester, New Idea, Deere, Wood Brothers, Dearborn, and the other big implement co's from the '50's & '60's, Case, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Ford, Even Allis Chalmers, for a 1-row pull type picker. One row pull type pickers were popular in the 30's & 40's, but 2-row mounted pickers made them obsolete in the '40's. All companies stopped building them in the '60's, so your looking for a 65+/- year old machine. There's plenty of videos of pickers picking corn, search for "Half Century of Progress corn picking" and get comfortable for several hours of watching.

Nice thing about one row pickers is you don't have to match the row width of the picker to your planter. You can pick 20, 24, 30, 32, 36, 38 40, 42 inch rows, or any width you want as long as the rows aren't too close.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    You should hunt up a website called "The Corn Picker Forum". Guys there pick up serviceable pickers for $100 to $300. You need a one row pull type that would run off the 540 rpm rear PTO. The wagon elevator reaches back and is 9-10 feet or more in the air to unload into a 6'x10-12 ft long wagon. To elevate into a 4'x8' cart may be difficult, the ears may fly right over your cart!

You probably have enough HP to run a picker, they don't pull that hard, but to pull the picker and a cart/wagon through a field, even a flat level field, you better have dry ground for good footing even with 4wd. Your tractor is much lighter than the tractors used to pull pickers back in the '50's & '60's. Dad used his '51 FARMALL M to pull a 1-row Wood Bros. Pull type picker he converted into a "snapper" by removing the husking bed that removed the husks off the ears. It was fine for picking sweet corn or corn to feed the hogs, but you don't want all the husks in a crib with ear corn. A FARMALL H could have easily pulled the picker, which was about 27 PTO HP and 4500#. The wagon we picked into could hold up to 100 bushel.

You should look for brands like International Harvester, New Idea, Deere, Wood Brothers, Dearborn, and the other big implement co's from the '50's & '60's, Case, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Ford, Even Allis Chalmers, for a 1-row pull type picker. One row pull type pickers were popular in the 30's & 40's, but 2-row mounted pickers made them obsolete in the '40's. All companies stopped building them in the '60's, so your looking for a 65+/- year old machine. There's plenty of videos of pickers picking corn, search for "Half Century of Progress corn picking" and get comfortable for several hours of watching.

Nice thing about one row pickers is you don't have to match the row width of the picker to your planter. You can pick 20, 24, 30, 32, 36, 38 40, 42 inch rows, or any width you want as long as the rows aren't too close.
    POWERSTROKE--very good post, my pap on mothers side used a jd B to pull his 1 row international corn picker, he also had a corn cutter that made (? can't think of right word here) it made bundles of cornstalks tied with bindertwine, and dropped them in the field, then u walked thru the field and stood the bundles together. then u waited for the corn to dry better, then u brought all the corn to the barn, and hand husked it, with a tool that u wore on one hand-yeah i remember them days-good time sitting in the barn, husking corn with ur granddad
    Bubber, johnH123 and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast