Simple Question, How wide do my attachments need to be?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By AReeves08
  • 2 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By Maddog

Thread: Simple Question, How wide do my attachments need to be?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 02:35 PM
    Thanks

Simple Question, How wide do my attachments need to be?

Hello,

I am new to owning a tractor. I have a JD 5065e and looking to purchase a few attachments. First a Rotary Cutter / Brush Hog, Rake, and Box Blade. However, I am stuck with trying to find the best width for each implement. The tractor is 78" wide so do I need attachments that are wider then that? Would a 6 foot (72 inch) brush hog work? and the same question for the other attachments.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Generally Dave, attachments are rated for your PTO horsepower. You can always go smaller depending the task at hand.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    The most accurate answer is "It Depends". It depends on your intentions with the tractor. For the rotary cutter, you're going to want to go as wide as you can within the constraints of both PTO HP requirements and the area you need to maneuver. For the rake and box blade, wider than the tires is always helpful so you don't have your tires off the surface you're working. I can tell you that we have a 5065E with an MX8 semi-mount and it is more than enough power for 95% of what I've encountered. If you're not breaking brush and simply mowing pastures on a regular basis, a 9' or 10' cutter might be the ticket.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Width depends on what your machine and handle and what you are trying to do. Lots of people want their snowplow, snowblower and tiller wider than their tractor so they can use them without getting their tires into the mess. If you are using a box blade on a gravel driveway that probably isn't a concern. IMO, that's probably true for a bush hog too.

I usually try to buy implements that are wider than my tires as long as my machine has enough HP to run it as a general rule of thumb.
    RandyM and Treefarmer like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    The 5065 is pretty darn close to my older 5320. Depending on how thick the stuff you need to mow is, you should be able to run an 8-10' bush hog. I use a 10' rear blade and it seems like a good match for the tractor. 8' might be a little better, I can slide the tractor around if I take too much of a bite in heavy, wet snow. Haven't had a problem in dirt, but I have much better traction.
    rtgt likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Nothing to really add here. All good advice. Snow blades, box scraper blades, wider than tire stance. Rotary implements, by HP, PTO rating & the physical conditions related to the job. Good luck!
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 12:08 PM
    Thanks
    90% of my 5055E's use is in the woods. Therefore I buy/build implements the same width as my tires or just a little wider. I have a Woods bush hog (ALL rotary cutters are "bush hogs" like all soft drinks are "cokes" or "cold dranks.") If my tractor will fit between the trees, then my bush hog SHOULD fit.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements