Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1026R Ditch Digging

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks

1026R Ditch Digging

I often have the need to dig 20" deep ditches for electrical conduit. These ditches just need to bury conduit so they only need to be 4-6" wide. The soil in the area I reside has lots of rocks and I often encounter roots. What is the best implement to dig these ditches on a 1026R?
    2012 1026R, H120 FEL, 54D MMM w/auto-connect, JD 47" snowblower, 52" Ratchet Rake, 60" York Rake basic w/wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    A 6" wide, 20" deep trench through rocky soil? You need a backhoe or a Ditch Witch.

That sounds like a little much for a "farm" type tractor to take on. A subsoiler would be your best bet if you had to use the tractor, but I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding one 6" wide. Mine was only 3" wide, and I don't think it can go quite to 20". It might on the 1026 due to the smaller tires, but depending on what kind of rocks you have you may hang it up and get stuck.

If I had to do it, I'd rent a machine designed for trenching. If you really want to use the tractor though, a subsoiler would be your best bet. Just expect to make several passes.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    I've seen a couple different 3-point trenchers that would probably be a good solution. I'd assume a backhoe would take a long time to dig a trench. Well not compared to a spade. A trenchers with a 30" stinger would tear threw most junk. My dad has a small ditchwitch with a 30" stinger and it can't have more than a 10 horse motor on it. So a 1026R with a trencher on the back and a blade on the front would make quick work of most jobs.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/non_...sngl%20pgs.pdf

15-30 PTO horsepower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That trencher is pretty neat. Expensive, though. A quick online search turned up used ones for about $3,400.00. I'd guess a new one is over four grand. The two full size trenchers I've bought cost less than that combined.

I'm sure it's a great implement, but you'd have to be doing a lot of trenching for that to make sense. Heck, you could get the backhoe for a 1026 for about $5,000 I think. Expensive, but probably a better all around value than the trencher for most folks.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    That trencher is pretty neat. Expensive, though. A quick online search turned up used ones for about $3,400.00. I'd guess a new one is over four grand. The two full size trenchers I've bought cost less than that combined.

I'm sure it's a great implement, but you'd have to be doing a lot of trenching for that to make sense. Heck, you could get the backhoe for a 1026 for about $5,000 I think. Expensive, but probably a better all around value than the trencher for most folks.
    I would concur with your thoughts on that 56FordGuy. I guess if I was doing landscaping all the time and constantly putting in pipes etc that would be a way to go. but I will just use my BH and dig the trench. It is slower but it will do the job with pretty good ease especially since this is rocky ground we are talking about and I have the same problem as well.

I remember that Kenny dug a trench using a subsoiler I believe and hooked it up so that as he pulled it along it laied the cable at the same time. It was a pretty good design. However I don't know how rocky his soil was. You can probably find his post with a little bit of searching. He might even have pictures if you go to his picture link on one of his posts.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    He asked best way. How often is the best way and the cheap way the same?
    I agree a backhoe would be more universal.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    I would use the situation as an excuse to buy the back hoe. When the day comes I have to replace my septic tank is the day I buy one, but I also have a lot of trenching to do too. To me time wouldn't matter so much if I get to spend it on my Little Green Girl.
    dieselshadow, Mad Dog and f15fxr like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

10. Top | #8
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvel Loafer View Post
    I would use the situation as an excuse to buy the back hoe. When the day comes I have to replace my septic tank is the day I buy one, but I also have a lot of trenching to do too. To me time wouldn't matter so much if I get to spend it on my Little Green Girl.

I sometimes wish my tractor wasnt so fast at getting the work done...

When I first bought it, I had 5- 12 yd loads of dirt hauled in to spread out on the yard. I started slowing way down towards the end as I didnt want the fun to end.
    Mad Dog likes this.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    He asked best way. How often is the best way and the cheap way the same?
    I agree a backhoe would be more universal.

Okay, you got me on that one. The Frontier trencher is certainly the best way to dig a trench with a 1026R.

That said, I couldn't imagine buying one. I sold a 4wd Ditch Witch with a blade on the front and a 5' digging arm for over $1,000 less than they want for a used Frontier trencher. You can find similar deals all over, if you look. Then you still have the tractor free for loader work or fine grading with a box blade.
    636mullet likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robpm View Post
    I remember that Kenny dug a trench using a subsoiler I believe and hooked it up so that as he pulled it along it laied the cable at the same time. It was a pretty good design. However I don't know how rocky his soil was. You can probably find his post with a little bit of searching. He might even have pictures if you go to his picture link on one of his posts.
    I've done a lot of trenching and ditching with a subsoiler or middle buster. They do work. In my opinion, the struggle here is not the depth or the width individually. A 6" wide trench, 5" deep? No problem. A 20" deep, 2" wide trench? Okay, maybe. But going that deep and that wide is tricky, especially in rocky soil. It's certainly not a one pass project. I'm not sure a 1026 could lift a subsoiler capable of going 20" deep high enough to clear the ground when not digging, either. It would suck to dig a trench all the way across the yard just to get where you actually want the trench!

I don't want to come across as though I'm anti-1026 or saying this trenching project is a bad idea. Neither one of those things are true. I've just had the opportunity to work with a lot of equipment, and wanted to mention a few of the challenges on a project like this. Not to dissuade anyone from trying it, but so you know what you may be getting into and can prepare for it.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast