Thinking of adding a "blade" to a landscape rake...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By patchnball
  • 1 Post By Gizmo2

Thread: Thinking of adding a "blade" to a landscape rake...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks

Thinking of adding a "blade" to a landscape rake...

I can see a few instances where having a rear blade could be helpful to me. Rather than buying the complete 3 pt. attachment, and then having to store it, I've been toying with the idea of buying a 60" wide piece of steel...around 3/16" (#6 gauge) thick...and clamping it to the tines on my rake. If I had it rolled to match the contour of the tines it'd help it resist bending under load. Maybe the tines themselves, or adding a bolt-on cutting edge would make it stiff enough without making it taller than the flat portion of the tines. Has anybody ever done this? I did some forum searching but didn't find anything. I also haven't looked into the cost of the steel/cutting edge, so I might be into the cost of a rear blade in just the materials.

Thoughts...input?
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Land Pride makes a kit for their rakes. Everyone I have seen on the used market is rusted in the up position and has weeds growing on it as they never get used so it makes me wonder if they actually work well enough in the real world or just in the catalog.

If your doing dirt work, you may want to look for a box blade which may be a better investment for you.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've seen that kit. What I was thinking of making would just be slid in front of, and clamped to, the tines when I wanted to use it. My envisioned use would be in the winter, to scrape off packed snow and ice that accumulates in at my parents house.
    I don't really have a lot of dirt moving work work to do where a box blade would likely excell. At least I don't think that I do. ..
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    I have a woods rake with drop down blade. Nice feature. No it's not built to take the pressure of a regular blade but does quite well in gravel, loose dirt and snow. Has a pivot with two clips to hold it up when not in use.
    BigJim55 and OldmanX like this.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 3,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldmanX View Post
    Thanks. I've seen that kit. What I was thinking of making would just be slid in front of, and clamped to, the tines when I wanted to use it. My envisioned use would be in the winter, to scrape off packed snow and ice that accumulates in at my parents house.
    I don't really have a lot of dirt moving work work to do where a box blade would likely excell. At least I don't think that I do. ..
    I use our ballast box for that.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements