Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cordwood Saw or Buzz Saw

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks

Cordwood Saw or Buzz Saw

Have any of you ever run one of these before. We had one when I was a kid and we could cut some wood with it. I was looking at this. It's nice since it runs right off the PTO. The old one that we had and others had ran off a belt.

Vermont Woodsman Buzz Saw
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I've messed with an old one, but never did any serious cutting with it.

I fail to see what advantages it really offers over a chainsaw for firewood. I cut to firewood lengths off the tree, then split. It seems like you would have to be cutting very small diameter stuff for it to really shine.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    I have been around them never allowed to operate. Not pto driven like that one. Note how much the blade costs in case you get into some high tensile barbed wire which most all barbed wire has been for quite a while from my observations. If you have one of those kitchen stoves/ovens with a firebox more coal oriented and very small buying a new one might make sense. The design dates to before modern chainsaws. A guy I know had bought a similar device without the pto shaft etc at auction last year, I saw it on his trailer, not sure if he sold it or has powered it by now.

fran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-28-2019 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    I've never run one before but an old friend of mine had a 36" one that ran off a flat belt from the side of the tractor. There was no guard at all, that thing scared the #@$%^& out of me. At least this one in the post has a gaurd of sorts.

For the price you could buy a couple of pretty good chain saws though. You still need the chain saw to cut the chord wood so unless you are buying it cut to chord length I don't know if it would be worth it overall imo.

I still thing they are cool, just the size of the blade makes them look real bad aXX.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I appreciate all your points and they have some validity. I appreciate the point about using a chain saw. I own 2 Stihl's, an 044 and a 200T. The 044 I have used to cut at least 80 cord of wood or more over the last 13 or 14 years. It is an excellent saw. So I recognize the benefit of a chain saw. However it takes much more time and effort to cut with a chain saw wood 12" and smaller into 20" to 24" sticks. The speed of a cord wood saw is a whole lot faster. If you cut the pieces into 6' lengths and run it on the cordwood saw you will beat the chainsaw in speed hands down just for handling alone. When we used them as I was a kid growing up we had chainsaws as well and my dad ran the big McCullough and Homolite saws that were heavy and powerful.

I think that you have a good point about hitting some steel in the wood. That would not be good because these saw blades are expensive.

I am just looking at it since I have a stack of wood in 4' to 6' lengths that is growing in size which I have piled using the PF off the 990. There is at least 3 to 4 cord to cut up and I have another 4 to 6 cord to add to it. So again it is tempting.
    Rob

JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I wouldn't want to wrestle a 6' long, 12" diameter log around on the cordwood saw, but that's just me. What diameter wood can it cut? I could see an advantage to using it for folks with wood cook stoves with the short 8-10" fireboxes, it would make quick work out of turning full sized firewood into stove lengths.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I wouldn't want to wrestle a 6' long, 12" diameter log around on the cordwood saw, but that's just me. What diameter wood can it cut? I could see an advantage to using it for folks with wood cook stoves with the short 8-10" fireboxes, it would make quick work out of turning full sized firewood into stove lengths.
    It will handle up to 12". I agree to handle 6", 12" that would be a good size stick of wood and I would want more than one person on it. It is only a thought right now and I have too many other items to work on and buy and there are limited funds so for right now it will wait in the background. Maybe when I am up in their neck of the woods I can take a look at one and see if it is as good as it sounds. I read a few reviews on it and they were not too bad. I still have a blade from my fathers old saw up in NH and I believe he has some blocks with a shaft there as well. It would take me a while to build something since I do not weld yet. But that is on my list as well.
    Rob

JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    That saw looks like something out of the movie Fargo.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    That saw looks like something out of the movie Fargo.
    And right at home in the snow!!!

I see them come up for sale at farm auctions and have been thinking of getting one if I found one cheap enough. A lot of times when I'm clearing trees the smaller stuff gets cut into 4'-8' lengths for quick removal, and I keep thinking one of these would work well to cut them into wood stove lengths once I got home.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-28-2019 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Here is a different make but this one has a little better guard system.

Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast