• 2 Post By sstlaure
  • 1 Post By greenharley

Thread: Storage of implements for easy storage and retrieval

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-01-2018 @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks

Storage of implements for easy storage and retrieval

Hello. Albert the Amateur here again. I have a relatively small barn that I store my tractors and implements in so space is at a premium. I would like to put all implements on their own rolly palette. Anyone know of a good source for palettes with casters (or something similar) that would support up to 400 pounds. Of course, I'll also use these so I can more easily position the implements when i want to attach.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,313 Posts
    A lot of folks start with one of these then modify them for how they intend to use them. Add to them - put 2 or 4 together, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_24814.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	195609

18 In x 12 In. 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly
    jdmich likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Those 18x12 dollies were just on sale for <$12 each at harborfreight.

My kids picked one up to use as the base of the next gravity powered vehicle they will hurt themselves with.

My ballast box and boxblade just sit outside.
    jdmich and dearjohn3320 like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I agree that the furniture dollies give the best bang for the buck. The standard ones are usually rated for 1,000 pounds and have 2 inch swivel casters. You could make your own, but just buying 4 casters and mounting hardware makes buying the Chinese already-assembled dollies a bargain. A single dolly under the 48 inch bucket works great, as does a single dolly under the pallet forks. I've linked 2 of them together for my 54 inch box blade. I went with a modified Deck Dolly for my 60D mower (I just posted pictures today). The ballast box rests well on a single furniture dolly, but since the filled box weighs around 600 pounds it's tough to roll, even on my slightly sloped concrete barn floor. I'll be building my own dolly for it, with larger and better grade casters soon. I just don't want it to roll too well - even on my slight incline for drainage the box would be hard to stop once it has a little momentum.

The dollies make hooking up thr implements pretty easy. I've added shims to them to angle each implement at the best angle for the iMatch hitch.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-14-2016 at 01:59 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    thats what I am using for my ballast box and box blade. I tried them with my 3pt blower but it just didn't sit right without making a structure. The blower now just sits in the back of the garage during the summer months and gets moved out when the white stuff starts to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    A lot of folks start with one of these then modify them for how they intend to use them. Add to them - put 2 or 4 together, etc.

Name:	image_24814.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	195609

18 In x 12 In. 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    The ballast box rests well on a single furniture dolly, but since the filled box weighs around 600 pounds it's tough to roll, even on my slightly sloped concrete barn floor. I'll be building my own dolly for it, with larger and better grade casters soon. I just don't want it to roll too well - even on my slight incline for drainage the box would be hard to stop once it has a little momentum.

The dollies make hooking up thr implements pretty easy. I've added shims to them to angle each implement at the best angle for the iMatch hitch.
    I just put together a heavier dolly with 5 inch swivel casters for my ballast box. It is much easier to move now. But maybe too easy. A toddler could get it rolling. Luckily I have no toddler around, but tomorrow I'll be picking up a couple of casters with brakes to replace two of the swivel casters.

Name:	ballast1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	195793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballast3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	195801
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-14-2016 at 04:57 PM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    This is what I made from a $13 dolly. I love the Heavy Hitch products but just couldn't see paying $250 for something I could make for less than #20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160614_173728.jpg  
    coaltrain likes this.
    2017 2038r, Toro Z-Master 27hp 52" deck ( the Buck and the Bull ) 220r FEL, 61" bucket, 60" Autoconnect MMM with command cut, 270b backhoe RB2060L rear blade, BB5060 box blade, Speeco quick hitch, Piranha 53" tooth bar, Land Pride rta1050 tiller, Baker 24 PTO Chipper/ Shreader, Herd fertilizer/seed spreader,16 JD 42 pound weights, Heavy Hitch front and rear weight brackets with 2" receiver, KBOH Hooks and Clevis bracket. Titan 36" forks with receiver hitch.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements