Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Post puller

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks

Post puller

I have a couple ideas for a broken post puller. Has anyone made their own? I am so tired of digging out old rotted posts to get the replacement in the exact spot I need it. Last weekend I dug up two in dried up clay based soil by hand it took forever. I dug down beside them till I hit concrete (dried clay) and still could not rotate the post over. Due to the tapered rot I could not get a chain to stick to it and I only had about 5-6 inches of post to get a hold of. I have two ideas for a homemade clamp I can attach to the loader and pull posts. One would work good for smaller line post and the other idea I think will work for medium to large.
    Agh1981 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    have you seen the thread down in the metal working forumn?

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...st-puller.html

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kabic View Post
    have you seen the thread down in the metal working forumn?

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...st-puller.html
    No, but I sure will take a look. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    What are your posts made of? I have found the new pressure treated ones most likely pine snap off pretty easy but havn't needed to put another post in. Those don't come out too good even with the chain hooked and a half hitch a bit farther up. If I had a lot of them to do I would consider getting a gasoline powered drill or one to work off the hydraulics and drill a hole in the center, maybe an inch and a half diameter then either thread something that size in or use that as a pilot for essentially a hole saw type device on the pto post hole digger. Most of the rot is in the first six inches. The strongest thing I have to pull with, at least applicable for this is the boom for the post hole driller but put the chain between the arch and the top link spot.

Fran

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, I looked at it. Am I the only person who's posts rot off 6 inches below the surface? That design won't work for me. I need something I can dig out a little and slip something down over the top of the post. I have two thoughts. A flat plate that bites the post and a small grapple type of thing.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fran...k. View Post
    What are your posts made of? I have found the new pressure treated ones most likely pine snap off pretty easy but havn't needed to put another post in. Those don't come out too good even with the chain hooked and a half hitch a bit farther up. If I had a lot of them to do I would consider getting a gasoline powered drill or one to work off the hydraulics and drill a hole in the center, maybe an inch and a half diameter then either thread something that size in or use that as a pilot for essentially a hole saw type device on the pto post hole digger. Most of the rot is in the first six inches. The strongest thing I have to pull with, at least applicable for this is the boom for the post hole driller but put the chain between the arch and the top link spot.

Fran
    I am using 3 1/2 to 4 inch pressure treated pine. Now you have to remember my dad, brother, and I put these fences up 45 years ago. Now they are starting to give up at a rapid pace. The two I just pulled last week end only had about an inch and half diameter of the heart of the post sticking up, 5 inches below the surface. The heart was about 4 inches long and then the whole 4 inch post was below this. Even a slip chain would not hold on this small pine heart. Yeah, I can dig down all the way around the post and down but at times this blue clay is like concrete.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 AM
    Thanks
    This is what we use...the chain tightens on itself through the loop (like a lasso). I then attach the hook to another chain that is attached to loader. We also use it to pull out the thicket around our place in which the roots are shallow and the trunk ranges from 1 - 3 inches in diameter. It works well in that it doesn't require necessarily a lot of material before "grabbing".

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Chain.jpg   Post Chain II.jpg  
    2011 JD 2520, 200CX FEL, iMatch Quick Hitch, 48" JD Box Scraper, 54" JD FM Snowblower, Artillian 36" Forks w/Backrest, Frontier PHD200, Woods RM59 Finish Mower & Heavy Hitch

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in wisconsin For This Useful Post:

scs26wfo (04-26-2013)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    Fran,

Are you saying you would screw in some kind of auger\drill through the rotted top of the post until it is has a good bite into the unrotted portion of the post below the rot. Then you you could connect that to a three point boom and pull out the post?

I would think that could work.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in wisconsin View Post
    This is what we use...the chain tightens on itself through the loop (like a lasso). I then attach the hook to another chain that is attached to loader. We also use it to pull out the thicket around our place in which the roots are shallow and the trunk ranges from 1 - 3 inches in diameter. It works well in that it doesn't require necessarily a lot of material before "grabbing".

Doug
    Thanks Doug. I have a similar rig but this last time it would not hold on the petrified little hearts of the posts I had. I wonder if maybe smaller chain links might be the key for me and of course the slip ring. Most of the time I can dig down beside the rotted post and rock it into the hole beside it. This time the ground was really hard and #2 takes too much time and energy. I am getting ready to rebuild my cowpen and need to set new posts in the same holes. These are 12 inch posts so digging beside them would be a real chore.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-28-2019 @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Here is what I did this past year, it worked great. It just took two or three lifts with the 3PH to get it free. Of course if your post is rotten it might be a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tractor 2012-10-19 (17) (Custom).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	14501
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast