• 1 Post By HeadsUp
  • 3 Post By balrog006

Thread: Adding ballast box extension

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-29-2016 @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks

Adding ballast box extension

Have used my 2305 ballast-less or with a 4' cutter for minor clearing work but have begun moving dirt, working on slopes or in ditches and very uneven ground with little maneuver room so decided to order a 15073 ballast box especially since my glutes are really toned now from all those cheek-squeezing reps!

Plan to add a couple of tool tubes and fill it with cement as per many ideas seen here but now think I would like to get the extension kit so I can throw a tool box, chains, etc on top of filled box. My question is will I be able to attach the extension to the box after I have filled it with cement? From pictures of the basic box, there appears to be an inner lip at the top on both front and back and I'm thinking that will be the top of the cement fill. How far does the extension overlap the box?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Here is my rendition of what you are thinking of doing.

Ballast Box Toolbox

Just don't fill your cement higher than the bolt holes and you'll be good to go. The extension fits to the outside of the box.
    keane and HeadsUp like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

HeadsUp (06-22-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, RandyM! Cool looking box, a professional job!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadsUp View Post
    Thanks, RandyM! Cool looking box, a professional job!!
    Thank you! Just make sure we get to see your masterpiece.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Thanks
    I put the extension on my ballast box recently and highly recommend that you just go ahead and add it up front, provided you are already leaning that way. Yes, it will be possible to add it later if you plan for it, but it is just easier to add it now. I have a bunch of bricks, wheel weights and suitcase weights in mine now and used it last weekend for the first time with this tractor and I have had the tractor for 1 1/2 years. I am strongly considering filling it with concrete and would leave 2-3 inches recessed at the top to carry something like chains. I have no idea how much it weighs right now and have no idea of how much it would weigh if I filled it with concrete, but I don't think I can make it too heavy to be able to lift it.

Dave
    johnH123 and HeadsUp like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

HeadsUp (06-22-2016)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 AM
    Thanks
    I bought the extension when I bought my ballast box. Mine's filled with small gravel and weighs in somewhere around 900 pounds. As ddinham said, buy the extension now. I have a couple of pieces of 2" PVC in mine to hold shovels. I'm not nearly as fancy as Randy!

When I put the gravel in mine, I had it pretty well even with the top. I actually drove my tractor the 3 miles to the gravel pit, so on the ride back home the gravel did settle down about an inch or so. No biggie, I can set a chain up there as needed. I also ended up setting a couple of plastic bags of gravel (bought at Wally-world) on top which adds another 70 pounds or so.
    RandyM and HeadsUp like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

HeadsUp (06-22-2016)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, probably right as to me already knowing if I'm gonna add it better to add it beforehand but I'm usually a 'measure twice, cut once kinda guy' and $140 seems like a lot to me for the extension. Box should be here tomorrow and if I decide to get the extension will definitely wait to do the cement fill.

When I got the tractor I went to the nearest JD dealer to get filters, fluids, etc and tried to order the box but he wouldn't even order it for me,, said I didn't need it. Took me back to his office and talked to me about being careful, etc,,, went with what he said but first time I got on a slope with a bucket full of dirt I went through my first series of glute squeezes! Two other dealers said they would order but $85 for freight on top. Found another dealer not too much farther - no freight - and probably will be using them from now on. Titan has a cheaper one but reviews even on their site weren't that great plus they didn't even know if they had any in stock,, so it's been a fun ride for something so simple!

Again, thanks for the info!

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadsUp View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, probably right as to me already knowing if I'm gonna add it better to add it beforehand but I'm usually a 'measure twice, cut once kinda guy' and $140 seems like a lot to me for the extension. Box should be here tomorrow and if I decide to get the extension will definitely wait to do the cement fill.

When I got the tractor I went to the nearest JD dealer to get filters, fluids, etc and tried to order the box but he wouldn't even order it for me,, said I didn't need it. Took me back to his office and talked to me about being careful, etc,,, went with what he said but first time I got on a slope with a bucket full of dirt I went through my first series of glute squeezes! Two other dealers said they would order but $85 for freight on top. Found another dealer not too much farther - no freight - and probably will be using them from now on. Titan has a cheaper one but reviews even on their site weren't that great plus they didn't even know if they had any in stock,, so it's been a fun ride for something so simple!

Again, thanks for the info!
    I'm dumbfounded that ANY dealer would say you DON'T need ballast. I wouldn't talk to that guy for any advice in the future.

Using ballast IS being careful, and not using it is one of the least careful things you could do as you would be operating a VERY imbalanced machine.
    HeadsUp likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

HeadsUp (06-22-2016)

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post
    I'm dumbfounded that ANY dealer would say you DON'T need ballast. I wouldn't talk to that guy for any advice in the future.
    Using ballast IS being careful, and not using it is one of the least careful things you could do as you would be operating a VERY imbalanced machine.
    Don't plan on goin back there again unless really pressed for parts, etc,,, might have mis-read him but seemed pretty condescending to me,, anyway water under the bridge. Appreciate the comments.
    BigJim55 likes this.

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlaure View Post

It's very hard to say something is unnecessary when it's specified in the manual as being required
    Kennyd, 56FordGuy and JKR like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements