Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 3-Point Disk Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-25-2017 @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks

3-Point Disk Question

Can anybody give me some information and opinion on purchasing a tandem disk vs. a offset disk. Pros, cons, brand, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    What tractor are you going to use it with???? Kind of important.....

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm going to use it on my soon to arrive JD 4052R. I was looking at the 8' models.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Pretty much any 8ft 3pt tandem disk will work just fine. With an 8ft disk, I do not see any need or any offset. I am using an 8ft Dearborn 3pt disk with my 4066R and it works fine. In loose ground, I had to kick in 4wd. For reference, I weighed my disk and it weighs 700 lbs.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent921 View Post
    Can anybody give me some information and opinion on purchasing a tandem disk vs. a offset disk. Pros, cons, brand, etc. Thanks!

What are you going to use the disk for? Breaking ground or finishing a plowed field?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    What are you going to use the disk for? Breaking ground or finishing a plowed field?
    Either way, you will want some 70 pound weights to hang on it to get extra disking power, IME.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    I'll be breaking ground and preparing it for eventual planned pasture. Ground is currently natural weeds, brush, and rocks.

10. Top | #8
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Either way, you will want some 70 pound weights to hang on it to get extra disking power, IME.
    Johnh123, your right, disk weight is king and I think even more so on 3pt disks verses pull types.

To add to disk weight some other things that make a disk effective are, disk diameter, number of disks, disk spacing, how concave the disks are, angle of the gangs, and travel speed to name a few. All factors to consider based the soil type it's going to be used on.
    johnH123 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent921 View Post
    I'll be breaking ground and preparing it for eventual planned pasture. Ground is currently natural weeds, brush, and rocks.

Sounds like you may need to mow it with a brush hog first, then plow it before running the disk over it. Treat it just like you would any other seed bed. Sure, the disk will eventually work the ground up, but it will take many passes. After disking it, you may need to run a harrow over it.

Dave
    pcabe5 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Chisel or ripper

Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Sounds like you may need to mow it with a brush hog first, then plow it before running the disk over it. Treat it just like you would any other seed bed. Sure, the disk will eventually work the ground up, but it will take many passes. After disking it, you may need to run a harrow over it.

Dave
    If it's a heavy sod, plowing is going to be really tough. Usually the sod only makes about a 90 degree turn as it comes off the moldboard and then just sticks up in the air like a ribbon on edge. Then you are left with the choice of letting it sit until nature smooths it out some or enduring a really brutal first disking. I would see if some local farmer could run a chisel plow over it or just have it sprayed and then no-till into the sod. Many local Soil and Water Conservation districts rent no till drills by the day at fairly modest cost.

We have some hay land that's not in good shape. We will either 1) use a combination of 2,4,d and Roundup to kill what's there and use a no till drill to plant back what we want, or 2) spray as above and use a chisel plow, disk and then plant. We probably will do some of each as the middle of the field is ok but the edges are rough where loggers ran equipment. The chisel/disc will be used on the edges and we will just no till the middle. It's a round to it project as it's just a small field and other things keep getting bumped ahead of it.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast