I am adding my recent experiences converting the bucket on my 1025r to this thread.
First of all, many thanks to Fuelhog2000 for posting this thread and giving me the idea to convert mine. Even tho I bought an H120 loader with my tractor, my dealer saw fit to stick me with a D120 bucket. I've wanted to change it for a long time, but time and money...
So I ordered and received all the parts quite a while ago but it was so blasted hot here for so long I just couldn't make myself tackle it. But when we finally got some cooler weather I got started on it.
I ordered the parts that go on the loader to make it QA from GFP and got a good deal on them and quick delivery.
A quality vendor to do business with.
The only thing a bit disappointing about these parts, but not a big surprise, was this (and by disappointing I mean John Deere, not GFP):
Instead of using the separate hooks and pins as FH did, I ordered the QA one-piece brackets from Artillian. Again, a very good vendor to buy from.
I was afraid locating and welding in the pins on the bottom of the bucket was probably above my pay grade. These Artillian brackets eliminated that problem, and are probably the strongest thing on this tractor now, they are really heavy-duty and with beautiful welding. They are about twice as thick as the metal in the bucket. However, they did present a new wrinkle which I'll cover later.
First thing to do is get the bucket off of the loader. Used my overhead hoist to hold it in case I needed to lift or move it while it's off the tractor. Hardest part about getting it off was breaking the nuts loose on the 4 pins, wound up having to use an 18" breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe.
Putting the new QA brackets on the loader was the easy part. The new long pin replaces the 2 short ones on the bottom, and used the same 2 short pins that came out of the other brackets on top.
Now the hardest part of the whole job was cutting the old brackets off of the bucket. Some of the welds inside the parallel brackets were a challenge to get a 4 1/2 inch grinder down in there but with perseverance and a big hammer finally got them all off.
Then ground off paint for welding on new Artillian brackets.
Next thing is to weld the new brackets on to the bucket.
I had always assumed that these buckets were the same for Quick-Attach or pin-on with the brackets holding them on being the only difference, but I am now convinced that the buckets themselves are also different. The flat side on the back of the bucket on the QA must be longer than that on the pin-on, 'cause putting the bottom QA pins at the lowest possible place on the flat on mine results in the top hooks sticking up above the bucket a few inches. In every picture I've seen of a tractor with a QA bucket, the top hooks are about level with the top of the bucket.
I went by my dealer's place several times when they were closed trying to see a QA bucket for comparison, but they never had one. Every 1 Series tractor I've ever seen on their lot since buying my tractor is just like mine, an H120 loader with a D120 bucket. There was even a 2 Series tractor there with an H130 loader but pin-on bucket. WTF?
FuelHog has the pin at the very bottom of the flat part on the back of the bucket on his, which is where it needs to be to keep the pivot point in the same place as the pin-on bracket. So he did a good job of keeping the bottom pin in the same place as the pin-on bracket had it. But the top hook looks to be at least a couple of inches above the top of the bucket. In my case, the Artillian hooks are even thicker and would have been so much taller above my bucket I would have had to remove or raise my bolt-on bucket hooks on top of the bucket. Makes me wonder now if the pin-on bucket has a smaller capacity than the QA one.
Now, the wrinkle I mentioned earlier using the Artillian brackets. The bottom pins in them have heads on them and were put thru from the back and welded on the backside, meaning the heads stick out on the backside so the back is not flat.
So the only way I could think of to place the bracket with the pin at the bottom of the flat part of the bucket would have been to cut a hole in the bucket to accommodate the pin head in order for the bracket to lay flat on the bucket.
This I did not really want to do. So I decided to place the bracket so that the pin head on the back was as high up on the bucket as possible and still remain flat, putting the pin below the flat on the back of the bucket. This actually moves the bucket up a couple of inches higher on the loader from where it was with the pin-on brackets, but I decided I could live with that. It also fixes the problem of the top hooks not being that high above the top of the bucket, so I could leave my bolt-on hooks alone.
Welded and painted and moved outside to dry.
Back on tractor and now QA.
I blame my dealer for causing me to wind up with the wrong bucket, but I also think John Deere shares the blame for letting its dealers do this. I even think that they should do away with the pin-on buckets period. I mean if someone gets a loader that has the QA bucket but they don't want to take it off, they certainly don't have to, and no harm, no foul. But when it's the other way around it's a real PITA.