Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Clearing a Field for Planting Grass

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-16-2018 @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks

Clearing a Field for Planting Grass

I will be preparing an overgrown field so that the landowner can plant grass. It currently has growth about 2-3feet high. We will go through it first and remove any large rocks that might be an issue. I'm planning on renting a brush cutter (the JD dealer calls it a 5' Gyromower) to first cut the growth down. Then I plan on running a JD 655 tiller over it to churn it up. Finally, I will run through it with my York rake to smooth it out and clean it up. I'm thinking after that, it will be ready to seed.

Sounds like a fun weekend but what do you guys think about my plan? Also, the only time I have ever used my PTO was for a posthole digger so any advice on running a tiller and/or mower like this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    3039R with H165 FEL and 385A BH with thumb
    LR6 72" Woods Landscape Rake
    RB72 Woods Rear Blade
    EA 60" Wicked Root Grapple
    Electronic 3rd SCV with lines to FEL
    3Pt Hitch Receiver
    Woods SB74C Snowblower
    42" Titan Pallet Forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Depending on how dry it is, keep a close eye on the grill and cooling system, I did this with a neighbor about 10 years ago to control a little
    over an acre of blackberries straddling our property line, and actually overheated my 770 to the point of it shutting down on me twice, the
    only times it ever did that.
    First time was on seeds that got thrown up by the brush cutting, the second time by fine dirt during the second or third pass with the tiller.
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Sounds like a neat project. But your estimate on one weekend sounds off to me unless it is a very small field - that is a lot of work you have planned.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    I'd have someone walk that field before you cut it. If you've got vines growing (like poison ivy, buckthorn, etc..) you'll probably want to pull them. Otherwise you run the risk of cutting and then tilling them in they'll just root themselves all over.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 AM
    Thanks
    I suggest using Roundup first, let it dry down good and then burn it. I don't know the area around the property, but if can.....spray, burn and then till. From my experience, this will be your best way to do the job. You will not have to rent the mower, you will find any objects, weeds will be dead and you will have clean ground to till. Consider planting grass in the fall, as you will have a higher success rate with the cooler weather and the ground will hold the moisture better.
    Bubber, MDrew, FredHickory and 3 others like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    My buddy prepped his yard for SOD by applying grass/weed killer in ample quantities. He didn't burn it because it's near his house. He then tilled it up.

If you have a York rake, I would go through it before you till. It will be good at finding rocks, roots, debris. I use one on my bare lot I am trying to prep to one day hold sod (I am having a house built etc) and can tell you the landscape rake really does a good job of getting rocks etc. Once you rake it, then till it up. You can use the rake to smooth out the tilled dirt if you want afterwards if it isn't smooth enough for you.

Depending how big the lot is you can do this in a weekend but it will take most of it.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 997 Posts
    Some parts of Connecticut can be pretty rocky. You're received some pretty good advice but I'd run a middle buster or a single bottom plow through the area to loosen things up and uncover any large stones or roots just under the surface. Had the same idea about tilling some areas around my property. First pass with the tiller was "uncomfortable" to say the least. Many large rocks & roots that were cause for concern.
    pcabe5, 5304 and danmorea like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    Hit the grass/weeds at max rate with Glyphosate, a week before mowing.

Mow, and apply again to anything that comes up after a week.

Then till, and wait a week. You may very well have to kill more crud coming up.

There are going to be late season perennial weeds in the soil, rhizomes from pest weeds, as well as lots of annual junk just waiting for the soil to be disturbed.
    Kill it all now, before it takes over the new lawn.

Follow planting, with a good lawn pre-emerge until the grass is established.

It's not going to happen in a day or even a weekend, unless you want to battle weeds for control of the lawn.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Have done this many times when I was on the farm as boy and my choice would depend on how large the field is. For a small area a tiller is OK but for a larger area it is slow going particularly if ground is hard. For a larger area use a cultivator followed by harrows (after you deal with the grass). Cultivate and harrow in both directions. What size land we talking about here? If land is hard then would go with a plow first then disc the furrows then harrow.
    Last edited by meyerld; 06-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-16-2018 @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the great input. The field is only about 1.5 acres so I don't think it will take too long. I'm hoping the ground is not so hard that the tiller won't break into it. This used to be a small farm so I'm thinking the ground might be softer than typical New England soil. We will go through it pretty well first for rocks and such but I'm sure I'll hit some with the tiller. By the way...what happens when you hit a rock with the tiller? Does it just ride over it or do I have to worry about breaking the tines.

Thanks.
    3039R with H165 FEL and 385A BH with thumb
    LR6 72" Woods Landscape Rake
    RB72 Woods Rear Blade
    EA 60" Wicked Root Grapple
    Electronic 3rd SCV with lines to FEL
    3Pt Hitch Receiver
    Woods SB74C Snowblower
    42" Titan Pallet Forks

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements