Green Tractor Talk banner

647 tiller vs KK tiller

37K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  LT_JD 
#1 ·
Tractor is coming this Saturday morning! But I am still trying to decide on which tiller to purchase. If both were the same price, should I get the 647 jd tiller or the 4ft KK tiller? Jd is chain driven and KK is gear. Pros/cons with that?

#3 ·
I have never owned a chain driven tiller, so I cant compare. But when I was in the market, I read as much as I could about 'em. Gear driven was considered superior along with 6 tine/wheel. That favors the KK. But...even still, if I had a choice where price wasnt a consideration, I probably would have bought the JD, just for the cool factor. All in all though...I cant see you going wrong with either on. You'll be passing either one down to the next generation...unless you till 5-10 acres a year or subcontract out to others.

#4 ·
I have the King Kutter XB tiller. So far I like it, but the CAT 1 pins are really narrow. I had to adjust my 3 point arms to be much more narrower to hoook it up. I beleive it would be too narrow to fit on a quick hitch. If you go with the King Kutter go with the yellow regular sized tiller verus the orange XB version.

#5 ·
I have had a 655 JD Tiller since 2007. My lot is 5 acres with trees on all sides and I keep all rows tilled. Pretty free of rocks but I have hit a couple of "good ones." Also tilled up another acre of grass last year for seeding. I had one rock get lodged between the tine and frame and it killed the engine. I have never lost a shear pin. It is a good, strong unit. I could't say anything about the KK since I dont have one but I think they are good products too. I just like to match the implement color with the tractor!!

#6 ·
I just cant believe all the " King Kutter vs. XX" threads or "are King Kutter tillers any good". They are all over the place here and on other forums. :unknown: Only know problem with them is the paint quality.

And as far as paint matching implements, someone has a KK tiller painted green, looked good too!! :thumbup1gif:

#7 ·
I see alot of threads comparing the chain drive to the gear drive where everyone assumes the gear drive is better. My thought is while it might be better it really depends on the quality, condition and workmanship of the gear drive components. If you wind up with any play on the shaft ends those gears will get chewed up quickly and will cost alot more to fix than replacing a chain. IMO both chain drive and gear drive are good choices for this simple application, both work extremely well.

I just finished up a 4 acre field tilling it about 6 inch depth with my 673 tiller. No hickups at all and it leaves a very smooth finish ready to seed. I have also used it on some rocky ground spitting out the occasional six inch rock and climbing over larger ones. No tine damage so far and that has really suprized me the most. So far in the four years I have had the 673 I have tilled about 25 to 30 acres with it on various ground conditions without any problems.

Haven't used a King Kutter tiller but have heard alot of good things about them so either one would seem to be a good choice.

#8 ·
I have a 5' King Kutter tiller as well as several other KK products. No complaints at all. I used my tiller to work on some of my trails, my garden, and to put in a few small food plots. It has even hit some good sized rocks and roots. I have not busted or bent anything on it. It tills the soil up well. Very heavy duty and priced great. Much less than buying a John Deere or Land Pride. Gear drive is better than a chain drive. If you don't like the Yellow color of the KK, it takes 1/2 gallon of John Deere Green enamel paint that you can find at several places and an afternoon of tinkering so it matches your tractor.

Attachments

#9 ·
If I had no spending limmit for tillers I would own a jd 665 tiller. Also a JD tractor, JD tiller kinda thing...:thumbup1gif: Next in the line up would be the KK 60".

As for now my old, bought used, gear driven 48" maletti tiller has tilled at least 60 acres in 13 years ' four acres yearly average' for me not counting all the gardens I have done. Darn good tiller, but a little wider would be nicer.

The green KK tiller that herbertperform owns looks to be the absolute perfect tiller in my reasoning:thumbup1gif:

#11 ·
I just did the same thing but it was JD vs KK vs Tarter for me. I wound up buying the JD 647. I'm sure that all three are good tillers but there was just a couple things on the KK and Tarter that just didn't fit my way of thinking, also having a good JD dealer and knowing that parts availability would not be a problem swayed my decision. Oh and a green tiller on my 1026R looks way better than an orange, yellow or black one, and I don't have to paint it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.