54" snow plow and snow blower

Thread: 54" snow plow and snow blower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-19-2013 @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks

54" snow plow and snow blower

After having my 54" snow plow for several storms including the blizzard, I am very happy with the performance. However, I am not happy with the shoes that come stock with it. I had to buy two sets at $32 per pair, and then bought the heavy duty set at $106 per pair. The standard set wore out in one storm. Mind you, my driveway is 2/10 mile long and gravel. The heavy duty set lasted longer. But ripped off the plow when angled due to 90 degree edge on sides. Had a set of boss snow plow shoes custom mounted on plow and couldn't be happier. As for the cutting edge, had to replace also after shoes broke off at $61 per edge. Had a custom edge made out of 3/8 stock and twice as tall for $31. Very happy with new edge. And yes, the plow is always in float mode. After all that, I just purchased a 54" snow blower and am extremely pleased with how it handled a foot of heavy wet snow today. Haven't had a chance to look at the shoes on the blower after today's use, but I am sure they are holding up better due to the size of them and for the fact that I don't go as fast with the blower vs the plow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,637 Posts
    I agree with you on the shoes and cutting edge on 54 blade, both not worth the time to install them on the blade. My first 54 blade about 11 yrs ago ,shoes and cutting edge lasted 2 if not 3 yrs. The last blade l bought 5 yrs ago both items lasted maybe a mo. Here is what I'm using for a cutting edge . I went to a machine shop and the day I was there they were working on a dozer blade. Told them I was needing some metal for shoes on my blade , They gave me about 6 pieces of metal about 3 or 4 times wider than the shoes that came on the blade . Welded them on the existing arms , but after changing cutting edge I don't even use the shoes. I had a cutting edge off a D9 dozer but didn't use it SIL found this off a Highway dept snow plow. Oh like you said, I would always use float.
    I took the 47 " snowblower off this evening and I'll have to check the shoes and cutting edge .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 54 blade new cuting edge.JPG  
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Thanks
    Glad you got something to work better.

I'd like to see some pictures of your mods....

Thanks
    Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements