• 2 Post By Levi
  • 3 Post By ddinham

Thread: My Take on MMM vs Rear Finishing Mower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks

My Take on MMM vs Rear Finishing Mower

My 60D MMM on my 1025R is a problem in my lawn areas due to gouging. I thought I might eliminate the problem with a rear finishing mower. Borrowed my neighbor's 72". Many observations:

1. The 72" scalped the crap out of the lawn. My lawn is not really rough, but a lot of level changes and all slope. the level changes quite often are within a 72" distance, so the outside support on the mower doesn't see the peak in the middle. Looks worse than the MMM.

2. The way you mow with a RFM vs a MMM is very different. Advantage backing into areas between trees with the RFM. Trimming close around a tree, advantage MMM. Both will do most any task, just different approach.

3. Max height for the trails and a little closer cut on the lawn? RFM can't do it. It can, but with much more work than I want to invest. I can run down the trail with MMM on high then drop it down when I get to the lawn areas, then up, down, etc. This is a big deal for me. It never occurred to me before I used the RFM.

4. Definitely needed the front weights installed. I add them when ever I take the FEL off and mount the MMM. MUCH better control with 160# up front and nothing but the quick hitch in back. But with the RFM, pulling it up over a rocky trail section on a slope, put a little pucker in the trip. And a little front grip issues on uphill turns with it up.

I'll stick with a MMM. Changing height on the fly is much needed on my place. Yes I need to level my yard and maybe the RFM would do a better job than the MMM. I can't get rid of the slopes, so I am stuck with the gouging and low cuts on the downhill side. 54" MMM may well do a better job, but the stronger construction of the 60D is needed in the fields and trails.

Again my opinion....
    RandyM, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredHickory For This Useful Post:

Levi (07-05-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 2,309 Posts
    I can relate with your #3. I have extended my mowing area over the years into the woods having made a couple trails and clearings. After lots of work, then a lot of brush hogging, I am now to the point of cutting all those areas with my belly mower in the highest position. Never thought of the extra work imvolved changing the mowing height of a RFM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    I tend to think a 72" is too large for a 1025 especially when you raise it and need to turn. A anti scalp wheel on the RFM would likely cure your scalping.
    Thanks for sharing though, I'll read these post all day since I'm considering a MMM next year.
    FredHickory likes this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Thanks FredHickory, I've been thinking about a RFM and thinking that it would be better then the MMM. I have the same things going on that you do as my "yard" is really a field that I mow to look like a yard. I would like one of them off set pull behind mowers to get close to the fence on a hill so the tractor doesn't rub up against the fence and get another 48" of mowing done in the same pass.
    FredHickory and BigJim55 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHickory View Post
    My 60D MMM on my 1025R is a problem in my lawn areas due to gouging. I thought I might eliminate the problem with a rear finishing mower. Borrowed my neighbor's 72". Many observations:

1. The 72" scalped the crap out of the lawn. My lawn is not really rough, but a lot of level changes and all slope. the level changes quite often are within a 72" distance, so the outside support on the mower doesn't see the peak in the middle. Looks worse than the MMM.

2. The way you mow with a RFM vs a MMM is very different. Advantage backing into areas between trees with the RFM. Trimming close around a tree, advantage MMM. Both will do most any task, just different approach.

3. Max height for the trails and a little closer cut on the lawn? RFM can't do it. It can, but with much more work than I want to invest. I can run down the trail with MMM on high then drop it down when I get to the lawn areas, then up, down, etc. This is a big deal for me. It never occurred to me before I used the RFM.

4. Definitely needed the front weights installed. I add them when ever I take the FEL off and mount the MMM. MUCH better control with 160# up front and nothing but the quick hitch in back. But with the RFM, pulling it up over a rocky trail section on a slope, put a little pucker in the trip. And a little front grip issues on uphill turns with it up.

I'll stick with a MMM. Changing height on the fly is much needed on my place. Yes I need to level my yard and maybe the RFM would do a better job than the MMM. I can't get rid of the slopes, so I am stuck with the gouging and low cuts on the downhill side. 54" MMM may well do a better job, but the stronger construction of the 60D is needed in the fields and trails.

Again my opinion....
    I went from a MMM to a RFM when I upgraded to a 4066R. I had no choice as the mid PTO is not available on my tractor. Your points are pretty much dead on. If you were looking for a better cut, I do not think there is really any difference.

Any wide mower needs a more level yard than a narrow mower, so if you were using the same size RFM, you might not have seen the scalping problem. Then, the mower design has something to do with that also. For example, where are the gauge wheels located--close in or towards the outer limit. And does it have a anti-scalp roller. I am running a 110 inch RFM, so can tell you that there is a difference when you go WIDE, but since I have pretty level or rolling ground, I do not scalp, unless I get too close to the ditch along the road which has a pretty steep bank. My neighbor mows that for me with his small tractor and I mow his field for him, so it is a good trade off. His field is between 4 and 5 acres and when it is not too rough, I can go max speed in B range which is 9 MPH and mow it in 30 minutes or less. I now mow at a speed twice as fast and twice as wide than with my 1025R and 54 inch MMM, thereby reducing my mowing time by 75%.

Yes, it is a real pain to adjust for height, but I just set mine at 4 inches and refuse to change it. That is something I also was unaware of prior to purchasing it, but again I was left with no choice but to use a RFM. I leave the loader on, but take the bucket off when mowing as I do not like to have it protruding that much out front. You might try that as it is easier to take the bucket off than to remove the loader and add the front weights.

Another thing that needs to be made clear about the RFM. You really have to be careful when mowing along a fence. Get too close and just the slightest movement of the steering wheel can cause the RFM to get caught in the fence. Best just to stay away from the fence.

Dave
    etcallhome, Levi and FredHickory like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements