Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mower blades

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks

Mower blades

Im thinking I am needing to replace my rotary mower blades but wonder if they could be sharpen? Also I mow in the woods thus I run into limbs and stumps sometimes.

My problem stems from when I am in some thick grass the mower wants to clog up..but this tractor is a 5205 and should cut through it with no problem at 2000 rpms.

Any opinions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160723_161259_1469328898683.jpg   20160723_160802_1469328950300.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    Blades aren't that hard to sharpen. I've used a grinding wheel for years to sharpen mine. (You have to take them off the mower to do this.) If you keep up with sharpening them regularly, there are sharpening tools on Amazon that work well. Type "Smith's mower blade sharpener" into Amazon's search box.

But if you have a really rough edge and dents from hitting things, it may be best to replace them. Use a block of wood jammed in one blade to keep them all from turning when you are bolting or unbolting them. Note which way they go on before you take them off. I put an X on the side I can see from the bottom so that I'm sure to get them back on right. And make sure you look up the torque spec for your blades and use it to torque them back on. Under-torquing them or over-torquing them can make them come off and create a hazard.
    Old Cajun likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    I raise the mower up with the 3 point hitch hydraulics then block it and sharpen the blades with a battery operated angle grinder and a metal grinding wheel. It is very quick and doing it this way avoids the need for removing the blades. It takes me longer to carefully block all four corners of the mower for safety than the actual blade sharpening. The problem I have is judging how much to sharpen them because the new blades are actually not sharp at all, but blunt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    .... Under-torquing them or over-torquing them can make them come off and create a hazard.
    Under-torquing I get, but over? We removed the blades to sharpen them all the time and when replacing them we NEVER torqued the bolts (I know now this was bad) but would tighten them with a cheater on a 3/4" drive socket. Our torque spec was "as tight as we could". Over torquing causing failure on this set up is something we never considered.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    If you take a fastner past it's maximum point of elasticity you weaken it and reduce it's clamping force.

A bolt is like a spring, as a kid did you ever stretch out the spring in a click pen. When you put the pen back together the spring was weaker.

In factory setting critical fasteners like those on a mower blade are often torque to yield. The DC tool tracks the force curve and when it flattens just before The force to turn it drops it stops. That level point just before yield is maximum clamp force. In the field most torque to yields are translated to a torque plus angle.
    Last edited by MeagerHair; 07-24-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    keane, 56Nine and TJR345 like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    I am thinking it would be difficult to over torque a blade bolt. Aren't they ususally grade 8?
    Levi and keane like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Good point Randy. You are upwards of 600 ft pounds. So maybe the Rock on the end of a 6 ft cheater, if the cheater didn't bend first.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I am thinking it would be difficult to over torque a blade bolt. Aren't they ususally grade 8?
    This is a valid point. But I suspect that most people who "field modify" specifications like blade bolt torque aren't doing it because they have the engineering knowledge of the components to make that decision. The other question to be considered: What "grade" are the metal threads that the bolt is fastened into? This metal would be under the same stress, and it would make sense in the design for it to be of comparable strength. But I've seen similar oversights in designs before, and I'm not aware of any markings on the female threads to help a guy like me make this call.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    This is a valid point. But I suspect that most people who "field modify" specifications like blade bolt torque aren't doing it because they have the engineering knowledge of the components to make that decision. The other question to be considered: What "grade" are the metal threads that the bolt is fastened into? This metal would be under the same stress, and it would make sense in the design for it to be of comparable strength. But I've seen similar oversights in designs before, and I'm not aware of any markings on the female threads to help a guy like me make this call.
    All reasons to just torque to spec. I always put a torque wrench to all the important stuff.
    coaltrain likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 2,310 Posts
    Reminds me of the boom arm mower I used to run for the state. It was a brush hog style head with 2 blades - just like a regular brush hog but hydraulically driven.

600 ft lbs of torque for the blades which needed to be checked every day before running.
    RandyM and 56Nine like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast