Looking at these Batwing Cutters: Land Pride RCM 5615 , Woods 180X, Schulte FX1800
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Treefarmer

Thread: Looking at these Batwing Cutters: Land Pride RCM 5615 , Woods 180X, Schulte FX1800

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-28-2016 @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks

Looking at these Batwing Cutters: Land Pride RCM 5615 , Woods 180X, Schulte FX1800

The 2016 model Woods 180X 15' cutter can be bought for $14,000. It has 4 aircraft tires, one spring on the middle section to act as a cushion.

The Land Pride 15' RCM 5615 can be bought for $16,950. It has 6 laminated tires, the wing hinges are greaseable, and each axle has a spring as a cushion.

The Schulte 15' FX 1800 has a light kit, 4 laminated tires, and is priced at $17,500 .

I will be mowing 96 acres of Newly seeded CRP once more this year and at least twice next year, and probably once or twice in 2018. The ground is about 65 acres flat and about 31 acres gently rolling to steep slopes. There are a few small ditches that have washed downhill in the new seeding so I'm thinking the springs on the axles might be worthwhile. Do they really help in rough ground ?

Also interested in any other recommendations for a batwing rotary mower. I may also use the mower for farm driveways, old pasture, etc, but my road ditches are too deep and steep for mowing. I don't plan to mow shorter than 8-12" so rocks won't be a problem either. Any trees would be 1" or smaller in diameter. Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by red sled; 07-26-2016 at 02:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

Bush Hog

Quote Originally Posted by red sled View Post
    The 2016 model Woods 180X 15' cutter can be bought for $14,000. It has 4 aircraft tires, one spring on the middle section to act as a cushion.

The Land Pride 15' RCM 5615 can be bought for $16,950. It has 6 laminated tires, the wing hinges are greaseable, and each axle has a spring as a cushion.

The Schulte 15' FX 1800 has a light kit, 4 laminated tires, and is priced at $17,500 .

I will be mowing 96 acres of Newly seeded CRP once more this year and at least twice next year, and probably once or twice in 2018. The ground is about 65 acres flat and about 31 acres gently rolling to steep slopes. There are a few small ditches that have washed downhill in the new seeding so I'm thinking the springs on the axles might be worthwhile. Do they really help in rough ground ?

Also interested in any other recommendations for a batwing rotary mower. I may also use the mower for farm driveways, old pasture, etc, but my road ditches are too deep and steep for mowing. I don't plan to mow shorter than 8-12" so rocks won't be a problem either. Any trees would be 1" or smaller in diameter. Thanks for any insight.
    Several years ago we bought a well used Bush Hog 2615 legend. It's been very serviceable although the hinges are now needing attention. That's a function of age and wear as they were originally pretty stout.

One thing to consider is the larger mowers all build up a pretty good layer of debris if you are mowing any volume at all. Look at both the top and bottom of the mower to see whether it's likely to collect "stuff" which will then trap water and ultimately cause rust. I think any of the top brands will have a good product. I like the laminated tires and the more the better to help prevent scalping. The Bush Hog is extremely heavy but flexes enough to reduce the strain on the tractor.

Look at the HP ratings on the gear boxes, overall structure, the wing hinges etc. You might look at the owners manual for things like replacing the blades, checking gear box oil, how many grease fittings it has and how hard they are to grease. That's a lot of money but your mower will last for a very long time with the use you are contemplating.

Treefarmer
    56FordGuy likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-28-2016 @ 06:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you for your input Treefarmer, I appreciate it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements