Anyone have a link to an owner's manual for a Danuser F-8 post hole digger?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tech Guy

Thread: Anyone have a link to an owner's manual for a Danuser F-8 post hole digger?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks

Question Anyone have a link to an owner's manual for a Danuser F-8 post hole digger?

I bought a used Danuser F-8 post hole digger from a friend, and he bought it used, and who knows how many other people have owned this thing. I'm looking for an owner's manual to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong when I operate it. I found a parts manual and believe I need to replace the PTO input shaft bearings and seal. One of my questions is what type of lube goes in the gearbox? I put in some heavy weight gear oil, but there was a small note on the Danuser site about using grease when reassembling the gearbox after doing an upgrade from older models. I don't know if this means I should also be using grease, or gear lube. If I use grease, it will cure my leaky PTO seal, or at least make it so I don't have to keep filling the gearbox every few hours.

The Danuser web site does not have an owner's manual available for download, which is weird because all kinds of other things can be downloaded.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Andy, I don't know if this will help you or not. People around here use the word grease as the same as gear oil. You almost have to ask twice to get them to specify. It drives me nuts. Grease is a paste, oil flows...
    Don't know if a manufacturer would've done the same.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, I stuck some grease in it today (the stuff in a grease gun, not the liquid in a plastic jug ). At the very least it won't run out. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I was also looking, and mine is serial number 699. That really would not mean much unless you knew that they are well into the 70,000 serial number range and started making the F8 in the 1940s. I would guess mine is fairly old.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor

KB3WPN

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    I bought a used Danuser F-8 post hole digger from a friend, and he bought it used, and who knows how many other people have owned this thing. I'm looking for an owner's manual to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong when I operate it. I found a parts manual and believe I need to replace the PTO input shaft bearings and seal. One of my questions is what type of lube goes in the gearbox? I put in some heavy weight gear oil, but there was a small note on the Danuser site about using grease when reassembling the gearbox after doing an upgrade from older models. I don't know if this means I should also be using grease, or gear lube. If I use grease, it will cure my leaky PTO seal, or at least make it so I don't have to keep filling the gearbox every few hours.

The Danuser web site does not have an owner's manual available for download, which is weird because all kinds of other things can be downloaded.
    This is not an answer for you-but my own opinion. Don't know about your Danuser, but from how you stated your question I would say 90wt. gear oil is what you want. It's gears inside that box. I think the grease note is saying that if you disassemble the gear box, you should use grease in the reassembly of any shafts, seals or other tight fitting parts. If I were you, I would try to find another post hole digger parts manual or user manual & read what they are saying about lubrication. While all of these PHD's are different, they share common elements much like autos. Ford or Chevy- You know you need oil for the engine. This is just my own thinking on it. Don't take me at my word.
    :empathy3:
    PS: Is there a drain plug on the gear box? That would indicate oil I would think.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    I'm looking for an owner's manual to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong when I operate it.
    Here's the manual
    Attached Files Attached Files
    vakev likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Guy View Post
    Here's the manual
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! You guys are great! Thanks Tech Guy!

I checked, and Texaco Multifak EP2 comes in a tube for grease guns, so it looks like it really is "grease" and not "gearlube/oil".

Maddog,

There is no drain plug. That was why I was kind of thinking that it was grease that should go in it.

Back outside to dig more post holes and plant more trees.....
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor

KB3WPN

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-09-2017 @ 03:55 PM
    Thanks
    I just pulled the filler plug to check the oil on my old JD 31A post hole digger and was surprised to find it full of grease, so I guess it's not uncommon.
    2000 355D, 54C MMM
    2008 4120, 400CX FEL

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements