Like Tree73Likes

Thread: What Can A SubSoiler Do For Me?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks

Cool What Can A SubSoiler Do For Me?

Guys,

I'm unfamiliar with the subsoiler attachment but I suspect it might be something that I cannot live without. I understand these come in various models like a "middle buster" and a model that doesn't penetrate as deeply as a middle buster. Are these used mainly for loosening the soil or can they also be used to plow a shallow ditch for sprinkler lines? Any information on their usage is appreciated.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Subsoilers are great!

The average subsoiler cuts a deep trench about 2" wide. Most can go down 18-24". That works well as a preliminary step for breaking up the ground for planting. The subsoiler will not turn over a great amount of dirt, it just cuts a narrow path really deep to allow the plants' root systems to spread out. You would still need to follow up with a plow or tiller to get a seed bed.

Lots of folks use them to install all type of pipe, wire, tubing, etc. I believe KennyD has posted photos in the past where he set up a roll of wire to automatically feed into the trench cut by the subsoiler.

A middle buster/ potato plow is very similar to the subsoiler, but the digging foot is much wider and roughly triangle shaped. It will cut a trench about 12" wide, but not as deep as a narrower point in one pass. It will turn over some dirt, but isn't really suitable for preparing a planting spot all by itself. I used mine to put in some 12" deep drainage ditches and it worked wonderfully.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Here is the theory I am under. Farmer also have the same issue and that's why many use "no-till" techniques.

Rototillers make the soil in the space that the tines reach looser, but tend to compact the soil just beneath that layer. Depending on the tiller and the person operating it, that compacted layer can be anywhere from 4-8 inches beneath the surface. That tends to keep plant roots shallow, instead of encouraging them to grow deep to reach moisture and food.

If you have a sub-soiler then you can break up the compacted area below the tilled soil and counteract the tiller compaction. Being able to trench in sprinkler lines and electrical lines is just an added bonus.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 636mullet For This Useful Post:

lindsey97 (08-13-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    My 2 cents. Subsoilers, like most other implements, need really dry conditions to work well. They can actually work against you if you use them in wet conditions.

I agree that you can get "plow pan" with a tiller if thats all you use. That is one reason I plow everything in the fall as it helps to loosen the soil for the spring.

I use my subsoiler in areas that I drive over with my car or side by side and then want to plant the next spring. I do not use it on anything that was plowed as its not needed or would it work well.

If you have heavy soil, you need a lot of tractor to pull a middle buster at any depth.

grnspot110, FormulaB and BigJim55 like this.
    Brian

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

Subsoiler uses

Subsoilers are also used to help with drainage. If you have an area where water stands due to compacted soil making several passes with a subsoiler loosens up the dirt down deep and allows the water to drain.

Some subsoiler brands come with an optional attachment for laying wire or flexible pipe like the 1" black plastic water line.

If you Goggle subsoilers on YouTube there are a couple videos of them in use including examples laying pipe.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure you know where your gas lines, phone lines and anything else that might be buried.
    grnspot110 and Dingeryote like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    Make sure you know where your gas lines, phone lines and anything else that might be buried.
    Right! That stuff's far more fun to break with a backhoe anyway!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-03-2013 @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    In most communities your utility companies will come out and mark the underground locations for free. That makes it a whole lot easier to rip them up........

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks

Cool

Guys,

I bought a subsoiler from Tractor Supply Co and set it up on my Imatch. The 3PH does not raise high enough to lift the subsoiler off the ground. In fact, it does not raise high enough to nestle the subsoiler pins down into position on the Imatch. So it will be going back to Tractor Supply. It seems that the problem is the 1026R sets lower to the ground than the CUTS due to the smaller rear wheels. I just wanted to point this issue out in case anyone else with a 1026/1023/1025 was thinking about picking up a subsoiler.

I will take some measurements off Tractor Supply's middle buster and compare that implement to the subsoiler. I may be able to use a middle buster but I'm not sure right now.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I ran into the opposite issue. I bought a middle buster first, and it wouldn't go deep enough. The TSC middle buster is a few inches shorter than the subsoiler. They also carry a SCUT specific subsoiler/ middle buster combo that you might want to look into as well.
    grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast