UGH! I hate this thing. It's a 6-7 year old Brinly. I've been cleaning out the tractor shed to make more room for my 1026r and my recent overindulgence in implements and attachments, and I've come across 4-5 bags of various season Scott's fertilizer. I think to myself, well, the front lawn (~1acre) has alot of weeds and crabgrass and could use some help, and the chickens and dogs don't get out there so I'll feed the lawn mixing all the seasonal offerings together as per advise from members of this forum.
I know I have this 175lb capacity Brinly in the lower shed so I bring it up, get some air in the tyres, load it up with a bunch of bags, mix it up and head out to the front yard open the chute and start making my way around the yard. After a while it becomes apparent I am not getting any distribution, so I stop and examine, but everything appears ok, so I try again, no love. I fiddled and tried, and fiddled and tried and after an hour of my life that I will never get back I gave up.
Well this knawed at me all day yesterday. I looked up suggestions for a new spreader, found they all pretty much work/look the same and run anywhere from $175-$350 for the big one. Well that burns me cuz I know this thing should work, and I don't want to throw more good money after bad for something I use once every 5 years....so I went out to the Brinly website and they have a pretty good parts section there for these spreaders. I looked at the explosion diagrams and decided to go take apart the spreader and find out whats wrong.
I go out to the shed and first I need to unload 175lbs of fertilizer into something. I find a galvanized pan we use for bath the dog and I dump it in there. I flip the spreader upside down and take apart the plastic bell housing on the transmission and I behold the cheapest freaking plastic gear and pinion EVER!!! Well, it's only a $26.95 part on the Brinly site so I order it and a few of the additional fiddlybits because if I don't I will certainly need them when I do the repair. (If I order them I won't need them so I'll put them in the "Just in Case" drawer.) All told, with shipping about $45. It had better work like a charm now! I will try to do some pics when I do the repair.