How to Adjust a Eurocardan Slip Clutch on a JD 655 Tiller?

Thread: How to Adjust a Eurocardan Slip Clutch on a JD 655 Tiller?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks

How to Adjust a Eurocardan Slip Clutch on a JD 655 Tiller?

I got my JD 655 tiller out today and was going to check & adjust the slip clutch on it. Well, after I took the PTO shaft off the tiller, I can only get to one end of the slip clutch assembly. There are eight hex (allen) head bolts, but no way to get at the nuts, if there are any. The bolts may just be threaded in to a plate too, I can't tell.

I want to make sure the clutch isn't seized up. The tiller sits out in the weather (covered with a tarp), so I wanted to check it.

Any one know how to check and adjust this type of slip clutch?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Rick
    2013 JD 3038e tractor, 305 FEL w/parking stand, RimGuard loaded rear tires, iMatch Hitch, JD Ballast Box, JD 2060 Box Blade, ETA 42" Pallet Forks, JD 655 Tiller, Frontier SB1164 3 PH Snowblower, JD 40C 2 bottom plow (circa 1920-30) modified for 3 PH, Frontier 66" DH1066 Disc, Home Made 55 Gallon Remote water tank
    2004 Simplicity 18 HP mower W/50" deck,
    2011 Cyclone Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    This was posted on this recent thread, maybe you will find it helpful: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-question.html

"The manual should cover it. Basically, they can rust/freeze in place and when they should release they won't and you risk $$$ pto damage. Just loosten all of the bolt/but/springs keeping it under pressure list it and start and stop the PTO a few times so it will slip on purpose and then readjust spring settings. There is a table that will tell you torque for slip clutch springs for various tractor HP. I always do mine emperically by marking it with a paint stripes across the clutch pads and body and then I just tighten it a little at a time until I can till in the hard groud with no slipping and leave it at that. That lets it brake off early based on my soil and not the HP of my tractor."

You can do a search on 655 tiller like I did and you will come up with a bunch of different threads.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply robpm.

I did see and read the thread about the 3720 Tiller Question. I also did a GTT search on the 655 tiller and I did a Google search on, "Eurocardan PTO shaft slip clutch". Lots of information out there on how to adjust the slip clutch, IF you can loosen and tighten the nuts and bolts.

I also got my tiller manual out and looked in there. Not a thing about adjusting the slip clutch. They did show the two different types of slip clutches that could be on the tiller. One is, (I think P/N - MX23827) is the Eurocardan type with access to the eight hex head bolts. See pic below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	17605

As you can see in the second picture, there is no access to the back side, it's fully enclosed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	17606

This PTO shaft has the slip collar that attaches to the tiller PTO shaft from the gearbox.

I loosened all the bolts until the washers under them moved, or were loose, but the bolt was still threaded in whatever is in back. I had to use an extension to loosen them. It felt like they had locktite on them, they turned fairly hard all the way out. Then I wasn't sure I could get it all back together if I took it a part, so I turned the bolts back down until they made contact with the plate.

I called the dealer and asked about it, but all the techs were gone for the day. She was going ask them today about it.

Does anyone else have this type of slip clutch and have you checked it for seizure and adjusted it?

Thanks for your replies.

Rick
    2013 JD 3038e tractor, 305 FEL w/parking stand, RimGuard loaded rear tires, iMatch Hitch, JD Ballast Box, JD 2060 Box Blade, ETA 42" Pallet Forks, JD 655 Tiller, Frontier SB1164 3 PH Snowblower, JD 40C 2 bottom plow (circa 1920-30) modified for 3 PH, Frontier 66" DH1066 Disc, Home Made 55 Gallon Remote water tank
    2004 Simplicity 18 HP mower W/50" deck,
    2011 Cyclone Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements