Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just picked up a used Rotary Cutter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 863 Posts

Just picked up a used Rotary Cutter

New member here and I know the rules about pictures. If there aren't pictures - it didn't happen. I am currently working out of town so I don't have any pictures of my 2305 to post yet - however.....I do have a picture of my latest addition, a new to me / used rotary cutter that I found and decided that I needed.

This is worth documenting with pictures and my be the start of a new you might be a redneck if joke as well. Anyway - working out of town I don't have my truck or trailer with me, so what does a fella do when he finds a new bush hog that he wants, but he is driving a Ford Transit..... well here you go. Some dissassembly was required.

It is a Southern Equipment 48" rotary cutter. It looks to be in good shape with the most wear being from the weather. Blades are good, and I had the seller hook it up to a tractor and it purrs like a kitten. With a little TLC and some new paint it will look and work like new.

Once I get it out of the van and cleaned up a bit (and put back togeather) I'll post some better pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bush Hog on the Way Home.jpg  
    Gizmo2, rgd, dieselshadow and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 05:35 AM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks
    Welcome, it looks like you will fit right in here with no problem. Sounds like you got a good deal and you are clever and industrious to get that thing in the van. A person who can make it happen! Can't wait to see your tractor.
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,060 Times in 3,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    New member here and I know the rules about pictures. If there aren't pictures - it didn't happen. I am currently working out of town so I don't have any pictures of my 2305 to post yet - however.....I do have a picture of my latest addition, a new to me / used rotary cutter that I found and decided that I needed.

This is worth documenting with pictures and my be the start of a new you might be a redneck if joke as well. Anyway - working out of town I don't have my truck or trailer with me, so what does a fella do when he finds a new bush hog that he wants, but he is driving a Ford Transit..... well here you go. Some dissassembly was required.

It is a Southern Equipment 48" rotary cutter. It looks to be in good shape with the most wear being from the weather. Blades are good, and I had the seller hook it up to a tractor and it purrs like a kitten. With a little TLC and some new paint it will look and work like new.

Once I get it out of the van and cleaned up a bit (and put back togeather) I'll post some better pictures.

Yep, a real doer.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks
    rt,

Looks like it fit in there fine! At least you didn't describe how you hauled it home on the roof of a Ford Focus.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Rotary cutter in a Transit. I like it.

-Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-23-2019 @ 12:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    rt,

Looks like it fit in there fine! At least you didn't describe how you hauled it home on the roof of a Ford Focus.
    There is a problem with that?

I enjoy heading to Home Depot to get some lumber for a project, having one of the guys help me load it and stopping the cart at the first sub compact that I see... The expression on their face is priceless.

"You are going to put 14 sheets of plywood, 16 4X4's and 24 2X6X12's on/in/around THIS?"

Then take them to the pickup or trailer depending on the size of the load, :-)
    Artillian and robpm like this.
    2013 - 2720 - 200CX with 56" Bucket (with 3 Ken's Hooks and 2 Clevis Mounts), 60" Frontier Blade, Land Pride Quick Hitch, Artillian Pallet Forks, 60" Landscape Rake, 60" MMM, 9" Land Pride Auger, 60" Frontier Box Scraper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well my new rotary cutter made it home and I managed to get it unloaded. It actually came out easier than it went in.

Since I had been out of town for three weeks, I had a long honey do list so I didn't get to do much with the new addition except get it into the shop.

When I got it out of the van I stood it up on its tail and while it was there I thought it would be a good idea to drain out the old gear oil.....

When I pull the plugs it got nothing, nada, zilch... This can't be good. So I laid it down and decided to put some oil in it to see what happens. It came out the bottom as fast as it went in ..., then

Before I made the purchase, I had the seller (a small used equipment dealer) hook it up and we tried it out. It sounded great and I never gave it another thought. From a little closer inspection, I don't think that it ever had any oil in the gearbox. There are no signs of leaks, etc, but the bottom seal is toast. It is great overall condition, so I don't think that it was used much either.

I put it in the shop and went to work on my list, if not just to calm down a bit.

Today I went by and talked to the gentleman that sold me the cutter and he had the same suprised look that I did. The good news is that he said that he would stand behind it and within reason, what ever it takes to make it right he will do. He will buy the parts to fix the gearbox.

The shafts are tight and it ran quiet as a mouse. My gut is telling me I just need new seals and some good oil (and maybe a little Lucas Oil Treatment) and I am back in business.

This weekend I will pull the input shaft and have a look at the bearings and gears. If they are good, I'll be hunting some new seals. On the lighter side, having to remove the blades, stump jumper / pan & the gearbox it will make it a lot easier to clean it up for a fresh coat of paint!

I haven't gotten to cleaning off the tag on the gearbox so I don't know what model it is yet. The cutter was made by Southern Equipment Mfg in Cleveland, TN. They have gone out of business and I haven't been able to find any literature about the cutter online. Anyone out there own one of these or know where I can find out anything about them, especially about what kind of gearbox they used? I know this isn't much to go from but aside from NAPA, does anyone have any recommendations for good place to go for seals? I'll post the gearbox info when I get it as well as some pictures.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So here is where I am at so far...

Gears look ok to me. Bearings feel tight with no slop. The remnants of old oil, now gook, feel like it has bits of metal in it.

I am thinking of a good rinse out and flush, some new seals and give it a go at a field of grass and see what happens.

From the tag it appears that it is an Omni Gear RC-30, 1:1.47, 250001 (info on tag).

Anyone have any suggestions about a good place to get parts? I'm gonna need seals, a new snap ring for the input gear and a new gasket. (so far)

Three of the input shaft cover bolts broke so today I picked up a blind tap and an easy-out. I've also ordered a set of snap ring pliers for the bigger rings.

This weekend I'm gonna pick up Dad's impact and sockets so that I can get the pan off of the bottom and get the gearbox off the deck.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bushhog 1.JPG   Bushhog Gearbox 1.JPG   Bushhog Gearcase 1.JPG   Bushhog Input Gear.JPG  
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-24-2016 @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks

Seal numbers

If you remove the seals carefully you may be able to read the numbers on the side of the seals. If you get a number NAPA can usually cross refernce it. Might be a transmission seal from a Nash Rambler who knows. Quite often they can cross reference it by size as well. A good transmission shop or gear shop may be able to do the same. With the advent of computer referencing they can go by dimensions and get you a new seal. Same with the snap rings. Be careful when you take it apart because what is left of the old parts can give you dimensions and/or numbers. Most US made gearboxes will use a fairly standard seal used in many applications. I hope you find it.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    rtgt,

The 2305 had an issue with rear PTO powered implements and a relatively weak aluminum case around the PTO. I believe later models were reinforced, but in any case, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that your PTO shaft is short enough to NOT bottom out when you lift that mower up. You could end that great tractor in a second if you don't.

I'd say have that dealer do some leg work on part sourcing for that mower deck. They ought to have some resources if that's their business. It seems to me that they are lucky you aren't dropping the whole carcass back off it at their doorstep. But then, I don't know your whole situation so I might just be beating my chest. Or perhaps you could bring them just the gearbox to get back into ship shape?
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast