• 7 Post By JimR

Thread: New Implement Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks

New Implement Question

Hello Everyone,

First I do not know if I am posting this in the proper section so please excuse my ignorance if this should be somewhere else.

I have just purchased a 1023e with a loader, mower, back blade and blower. Yesterday the first couple of implements arrived and I noticed a few scuffs and rubs on the ballast box and back blade. I am not one to overly worry about aesthetics, however, the back blade has a couple of deep gouges that have completely stripped the paint and rusting is already starting to occur. It is not in an area that would normally get chipped by rocks etc. so it is not an issue that will happen over time regardless.

Will this be an issue down the road? Do implements normally come like this? Should I have my dealer get to take the back blade back and get another?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Canuck Jay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Jay View Post
    Hello Everyone,

First I do not know if I am posting this in the proper section so please excuse my ignorance if this should be somewhere else.

I have just purchased a 1023e with a loader, mower, back blade and blower. Yesterday the first couple of implements arrived and I noticed a few scuffs and rubs on the ballast box and back blade. I am not one to overly worry about aesthetics, however, the back blade has a couple of deep gouges that have completely stripped the paint and rusting is already starting to occur. It is not in an area that would normally get chipped by rocks etc. so it is not an issue that will happen over time regardless.

Will this be an issue down the road? Do implements normally come like this? Should I have my dealer get to take the back blade back and get another?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Canuck Jay.
    Pictures would help if it's severe damage. ETA: The deep gouges--are they into the metal or just gouges in the paint? If it's just paint chipped, get some Ospho and treat the rusty spots, then a rattle-can of red primer and whatever color the implements are. Move on with more important stuff.
    When I bought my first trailer, I actually got the dealer to throw in a couple cans of matching spray paint to touch it up with. I soon learned that keeping it looking new was an impossibility, but I DO still cover the bare metal when I can using the above procedure. Also, Fluid Film works very well preventing rust during storage- I use it for hydraulic cylinder rods especially.

FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication

Ospho

And I also found this interesting gem in my search for Fluid Film:
    Plow-Slick The slickest non-stick slippery snowplow coating
    Last edited by mtrmn; 11-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    You are the customer. You paid for new products if you are not happy you need to speak up. With that said I have a route that i have my brother run from John Deere Milan Ill Parts warehouse to Ohare every night with the "Machine Down Parts" and you would be suprised what comes ouit of there. I have seen twisted. scraped. dented pieces. I can see how a box blade wopuld get damaged in shipping they are so heavy and if a little touch up paint hides it i would probaly keep it, But not with out a conversation and a little discouint. Good Luck
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    If implements are museum pieces then yes they need to be 110 % from factory and the dealer should know this in advance. If you intend to use them then I would bet that they will be scratched on the first use.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Without photos it is difficult to say but if the issue is just scratches I think the best you can expect is to ask the delivering dealer to throw in a can of paint.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Without photos it is difficult to say but if the issue is just scratches I think the best you can expect is to ask the delivering dealer to throw in a can of paint.
    Get the can of paint TY25624, from the dealer and let it go. You will be using a lot of this paint in the future. I get the whole new look thing but as other's have said on this forum..."It's a (tractor) implement!" I hope that doesn't sound harsh but the reality is the first big job you encounter will present scratches and scuffs and dings. That ca of paint will be your best friend.

Good luck with perhaps one of the nicest tools a man with property can have!
    Lou
    Last edited by LoneStranger; 11-03-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    60" Everything Attachments aerator
    Cyclone Rake (Original) w 3 pt hitch
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    When I go to buy implements I look for those scratches and gouges. I have no problem buying implements with them. And so far I've managed to talk the sellers into a discount every time. Then I bring it home, give the gouge a quick sanding and hit it with touch-up paint.

The manager at my local Tractor Supply has gotten pretty good about just automatically giving me a 15% discount when he sees me coming.
    DRobinson, Levi, MoMiner and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    You are the customer. You paid for new products if you are not happy you need to speak up. With that said I have a route that i have my brother run from John Deere Milan Ill Parts warehouse to Ohare every night with the "Machine Down Parts" and you would be suprised what comes ouit of there. I have seen twisted. scraped. dented pieces. I can see how a box blade wopuld get damaged in shipping they are so heavy and if a little touch up paint hides it i would probaly keep it, But not with out a conversation and a little discouint. Good Luck
    True story! My next door neighbor when I lived in East Moline was an incoming inspector at Milan. We got to talking one weekend. I had a supplier, TC Industries in Crystal Lake Ill heat treat some round steel bars, 4 & 5 inch diameter and 8+ and 9+ feet long. When they came back and we put them away one was missing! TC said, "Sorry". I asked about who was eating the $150+ cost of the bar and machining, their order acknowledgement clearly said they assumed no risk. They said they would mail me the ashes in a #10 envelope! It was a joke, bar weighed 500#! Anyhow, neighbor said he REJECTED an entire semi load of grader blade cutting edges and loader bucket replacement edges from TC recently. Reason was.....paint runs! I didn't even know TC did paint, but I sure would hate to install grader blade edges with paint on them!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    I didn't even know TC did paint, but I sure would hate to install grader blade edges with paint on them!
    I just built a landplane,, and used current production Caterpillar 7 foot grader blades.

In the yard, they had stacks of blades,,, all painted.

The blades were painted CAT yellow,,, and, I had no issues with the paint.
    Just wondering,, why would you prefer no paint?

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements