• 1 Post By Minuteman17
  • 1 Post By GREENVA

Thread: new drag harrow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

new drag harrow

I bought a 4x4 drag harrow to rough up some bare dirt, cut some surface up for seed, flip the harrow over after broadcast seeding some winter grass. I've checked the soil and will fertilize gently before using the harrow. Harrow tricks/advice? Slow, fast, medium speed? Go north/south, then east/west or just in one direction at first? I got the 4 footer because I need to handle it alone and it was in stock at TSC. I have about 2 acres to cover, so a bigger one would have been better and faster, but I have more time than money. I'm figuring on watching it work and adjusting speed as required. If anyone has tips on using this tool, I'm listening. Thanks!
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 11-08-2016 at 12:51 AM.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    I bought a 4x4 drag harrow to rough up some bare dirt, cut some surface up for seed, flip the harrow over after broadcast seeding some winter grass. I've checked the soil and will fertilize gently before using the harrow. Harrow tricks/advice? Slow, fast, medium speed? Go north/south, then east/west or just in one direction at first? I got the 4 footer because I need to handle it alone and it was in stock at TSC. I have about 2 acres to cover, so a bigger one would have been better and faster, but I have more time than money. I'm figuring on watching it work and adjusting speed as required. If anyone has tips on using this tool, I'm listening. Thanks!
    I think you are on the right track, just hook it up and give it a whirl and make the adjustments needed. Let us know how it all works out for you.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    You will need extra weight on the harrow to loosen up the dirt. Harrows are designed to level ground, not really loosen or till it up. Be best to do the whole area one way, back & forth east and west, then turn 90 degrees, and go north & south. Maybe even go at 45 degree angles too after the first two passes. Depends on if the ground works up like you want or not.

You can run fairly fast, just don't let the harrow get to bouncing, it would probably break eventually. You should be able to cover your two acres in a reasonable time. The big question will be how many trips you will need to make over the ground. I did a lot of harrowing when Dad farmed, if I had the horsepower I'd harrow 8-10 mph, even faster if possible.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Harrow works, sort of

The bare ground was too dry and too hard in most places for the harrow. Slower worked better, but it just bounced along, so I put on the 647 tiller and did it right going both E-W and N-S, then I used the harrow to help level it out some more, again doing it E-W and N-S. I was mostly playing with it to see what it can do and I'm pleased with the results. I should have gotten the 6' harrow to cover the tracks better, but no one had it in stock and it was going to be another 2-3 weeks to get it. Oh well... The 4' is easier to manhandle and that's the excuse I'm sticking to!

I used the 2036B spreader to apply some 16-16-16 to the soil, let it sprinkle naturally last night and today I'll rake it in better with the harrow. In a couple of days, I'll seed it with a mix of sand and rye grass - just before the next rain.
    RandyM, BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Now that ground is broken up buy another 4' and join them together. Larger area with option to break apart if needed.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Foggy Bottom like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Smile nice harrow idea - new tiller slip clutch?

Maybe I'll get another 4 footer to go with this one and get an 8' spreader/header bar. That way I can cover 8' wide x 4' long or use it on smaller areas as '4 x 8' long unit. First I have to fix the slip clutch on the tiller. It might be burned up. It began to slip terribly and with the wind blowing, I didn't hear it or smell it until it was smoking... OOPS! New thread will begin after I take it apart
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

improved drag harrow technique

I loaded two good sized pallets on top of the harrow and chained them in place at the front of the harrow. The chain kept the pallets in place, added weight at the tow bar and improved teh workl done by the harrow. One pallet was fine for the finish passes.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    I have always wanted one of these. Very curious to see your results.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    04-18-2018 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks
    My drag harrow won't do much in the way of breaking up undisturbed soil. Even with a couple of blocks on top, it only scratches the surface. I've found I need to break it up with a tiller, subsoiler or disc and then smooth it out with the harrow. Using it before and after seeding does a good job of bedding grass seed.
    Now a gravel drive is different, where the drag harrow does a commendable job of renewing the surface.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements