Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By green and red man

Thread: Oliver Model 10 Cotton Harvester

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-26-2015 @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks

Oliver Model 10 Cotton Harvester

Back in its day, the Model 10 was considered to be a great cotton harvester. I was trying to find some other pics of this as well as another Oliver that's a different model. These only harvested two rows at a time, so you'd expect to be working some very long, hot days. It's hard to imagine how some folks could stand it, because so many tractors didn't have canopies or umbrella's. As hot as it gets here, it would sure make things difficult.

These were pulled behind a John Deere model 70 and 720LP. I've honestly considered buying these to restore, just so they don't end up being melted down for scrap.

Something that ticked me off before, was when a relative of the owner went and hauled off three large trailer loads of johnny popper implements to a scrap yard. We aren't talking about a small trailer here either. They were all John Deere brand implements.

Don't understand why in the world he just didn't give me or someone else a chance to buy them for what they were intended for.

There's at least one or two John Deere cotton harvesters on the property. Or, at least there were the last time I was out there.

I'll have to wait until a different time of year to go back out there to poke around under things, because the property is in the thick of rattlesnake country.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oliver 1.jpg   Oliver 2.jpg  
    Last edited by green and red man; 06-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    56FordGuy and farmgirl19 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I hate seeing old equipment like that scrapped when it could be saved. Sometimes there's no other option, but it has to be massive damage to a serious component. Even then, all the other good parts can be salvaged first.

Doesn't always make financial sense to save this stuff though.

Great pictures though!
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I like those pics. I hope you get to restore it!

As far as only working 2 rows at time, it would still be better than chopping by hand, which is what my grandparents did. So, I guess it is all relative. Having equipment do it, 2 rows at a time was probably easier and faster than what they were used to, and seemed a HUGE improvement, even with no canopy!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    I hate seeing old equipment like that scrapped when it could be saved. Sometimes there's no other option, but it has to be massive damage to a serious component. Even then, all the other good parts can be salvaged first.

Doesn't always make financial sense to save this stuff though.

Great pictures though!
    Thanks, and yeah, I agree about it not always making sense to save and restore everything.

I suppose part of my desire to save so many things is due to seeing so much change occur over the years. Would rather not have to go to museums just to see remnants of the past. Seems like so much has been lost as far as historical things, with them either being thrown away or something else.
    Just like certain historical buildings that in my opinion should have been saved, instead of being destroyed.

I still haven't found the other pics. Might have to try and go back out to that location when the weather is more favorable and take more pics.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    I like those pics. I hope you get to restore it!

As far as only working 2 rows at time, it would still be better than chopping by hand, which is what my grandparents did. So, I guess it is all relative. Having equipment do it, 2 rows at a time was probably easier and faster than what they were used to, and seemed a HUGE improvement, even with no canopy!
    Most definitely. I have had many a conversation with folks over the years that either pulled or picked cotton by hand. Not something I want to try. It is nice indeed to have machines to do the hard work.

If you've ever seen the movie, "Places in the Heart", with Sally Fields, that was filmed in and around Waxahachie in the early 1980's. It shows them harvesting cotton by hand. Certain locations where scenes were filmed have sure changed since then. Paved roads are nice, especially during bad weather,but sometimes it's still nice to have some roads that are unpaved, yet still smooth to drive on.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks

Silly me

What a goober! Having so much to deal with lately, I've got the two pics mismatched. That model plate goes to the other harvester which I've yet to locate the other pics of.

Just now realized my mistake.

Too much going on at the moment.

9. Top | #7
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    I saw that right off.... I was wondering when you was gonna catch it

actually....I bet most of us wouldnt ever known the difference....especially me
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements