1025R Snow Assault Plow or Push?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 1025R Snow Assault Plow or Push?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks

1025R Snow Assault Plow or Push?

That time of the year is very near or even already here depending on where you call home. I'm on the "dark side" of Lake Michigan so we get the dreaded lake effect snow. They usually follow a system snow pattern in our area so its not unusual to get a 4 to 6 inch system snow followed by several inches of lake effect. I have over 1000 feet of gravel drive to clear and a large cement pad area at the house. In the past I've used an old Dodge plow truck with a 7.5 blade and suffered the dreaded spring gravel cleanup even when I'm careful and only plow after we've built a base of snow over the gravel. This year I plan to put my little Deere to work. I have the 54" blower but I am well aware that it is most likely useless and not worth the risk of shearing pins, chucking gravel or even spreading gravel all over the mow areas so I am considering a plow or snow pusher. No offense to anyone that has one but I'm not keen on JD's little yellow 54" plow. It seems too light to me so I am considering one from an independent builder in Wisconsin. He makes a nice plow blade that attaches directly to the quick attach bracket like the 54" JD one. I'm thinking a 60" but he also builds a 66" for just a little more money. I'd like to hear from y'all that have gone down this snowy road before me. I'll attach a pic or two of the blade from the Wisconsin fella below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1121 - Copy.JPG   IMG_1127 - Copy.JPG  
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.
    joe white

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks
    I'm thinking maybe I should have posted this in the implement and attachment section?
    joe white

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    The gravel in the grass with the Dodge comes from driving too fast.
    I plow about 1/4 mile of gravel drive,,, and only get gravel in the grass when I go fast.
    In the spring, I do have gravel in the ditches, but, that is easily recovered.

Can the Dodge go slow,, and still plow?

Slow is what you will achieve with a blade on a SCUT,,, BUT,,,
    I would miss the heater in the Dodge,,,

pcabe5 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 09:35 PM
    Thanks
    looking forward to year #2 with the 60" CT Attachments Plow. Hopefully, we will have a more normal winter in NW OH.
    This sucker is well built and built like a tank.
    IF you already have a blower, why not put it on some casters/shoes and raise that baby up a bit above the stones?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Plows and pushers do two different things. With a plow, you can roll the snow off to one side as you move forward. With a pusher, you can't. You have to have somewhere to push the load of snow and then back out of it. The advantage to a pusher is that you don't lose snow off the ends, so they're good for clearing open areas like parking lots. With a 1,000' driveway I would expect the plow to be much more efficient because you can roll the snow out of the way and continue forward. The pusher would fill up with snow and have to be steered off to one side, then back up into the driveway and go forward for another load, dump to the side, etc...

Plows, pushers, and blowers can all redistribute gravel. Speed can be a factor, along with cutting edge height. For plowing our gravel road I run the skid shoes about 1" below the cutting edge. When it's soft, the skids will sink a little under the weight of the plow and end up maybe 1/2" above the road. If you still have the Dodge, I think a set of skid shoes for the plow on the truck and the pusher for your tractor to handle the parking area would be a great setup.
    Gizmo2 and pcabe5 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nwohio2320 View Post
    looking forward to year #2 with the 60" CT Attachments Plow. Hopefully, we will have a more normal winter in NW OH.
    This sucker is well built and built like a tank.
    Be careful with larger blades. While some of the blades that are available are built like tanks, the Quick-Attach on the front of the 1-series is not. It is built for a garden tractor and is barely adequate to even handle the 54" blade. I have seen the front hitches get mangled from using larger blades.

IF you already have a blower, why not put it on some casters/shoes and raise that baby up a bit above the stones?
    I've been snow blowing gravel driveways for over 30 years. All you need to do is raise the shoes a bit and you won't collect any gravel. I have the 54" front blower on my 2720 and I installed a set of larger shoes from the folks below which allows more adjustment and since they are longer it spreads the weight out more.

Snow Blower Skids For Sidewalks and Gravel Drives

I also use a blade on the rear of the tractor. I normally push backwards with the back curve of the blade. This allows me to scrape the driveway bare without collecting a lot of gravel.
    Last edited by jgayman; 11-25-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, moontree and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    I also have a CTA 60" blade. This is my first year with it. We are doing the change over this weekend. It seems well built and I don't think you could wrong with it. I don't think I'd go with the 66".
    pcabe5 and TJR345 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    I have one of the little yellow JD blades and if I had known about this blade when I bought mine, I would have bought the JD hitch and a 60" blade. I think you will find a couple more threads on here about the blade that you are looking at.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5 and TJR345 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Ran a 66" blade on our JD650 for many years. Been running a 72" on the 2320 since 2008.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...html#post22106
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and TJR345 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    j. white, A similar post here on GTT http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-compacts.html
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and TJR345 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (11-26-2016)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast