Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Clearing snow with the FEL?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Clearing snow with the FEL?

This is my first winter with the JD, and although we don't normally get a lot of snow like some of you, getting a couple of 12" snowfalls in a row, with some 2" to 4's in between, is normal. I have a walk-behind 2 stage snow blower than my SIL gave me, abut now that I have FEL, I'm thinking 'yes', that will be the better option. But I have a few questions.

Should I paint and then wax the inside of the bucket, or is snow sticking not a problem?

Should I add some sort of a heavy duty wear edge to the FEL bucket? Does anyone make something that would hold up? Horse-stall rubber mat at TSC? How to attach? Any links or pics?

My drive and parking lot are blacktop paved. None flat; all sloped. Rear wheels are filled, and I have an 800 lb ballast box. Should I use it? Do I need chains?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JD-4100 For This Useful Post:

bcampbell (12-29-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Visit one of our supporting vendor's WEB site.....https://r2manufacturing.com/
    ColonyPark, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    The loader & tractor sitting in the back of my shop I used to clean the barnyard of the farm we lived on when I was 7-8 years old till I went off to college when I was 18. It's now my #2 snow mover. My #1 snow mover is 3 years newer, and a little smaller in size & HP, and no power steering, but moves snow with an 80 inch wide by 16 inch high blade.

My driveway is all concrete, chains are an absolute must have, drive slopes uphill to the road. Chains do scratch concrete and blacktop unless you are extremely careful. I've tried using my #2 snow mover without chains, although I have chains, it gets stuck on flat ground in a half inch of snow. Sad actually for an 8000+# tractor with 50 HP to be so helpless. With chains it can push through 2 ft deep snow with no problem. Same situation with my #1 snow mover.

Bucket wear edges will wear. They can be replaced. Same with scraper edges on blades. Yes, snow will stick to loader buckets and blades. PAM cooking spray helps. Best to keep the bucket/blade as cold as possible, if it's above freezing temp, like just driven out of your shop/garage that's heated to 60 degrees snow will melt on contact and stick. Even aiming hot exhaust or heated air after it's passed through the radiator towards the bucket/blade will make snow stick and ice to build up.

And put your loaded ballast box on. Use 4wd and diff lock as required. If you still have insufficient traction, chains will be needed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POWERSTROKE For This Useful Post:

JD-4100 (12-12-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,611 Posts
    You will need the rear ballast and yes you will need chains.

Forget the other items if anything maybe cheapest Pam like product.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

JD-4100 (12-12-2016)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    My opinion.
    Asphalt is slick, chains or not. From my experience, if the asphalt is coated, it's worse.

Pick a point to attack your slopes that will create the least amount of resistance, i.e., downhill for a pass or two. You can change direction to uphill if you commit to doing a half a bucket width going back uphill and also dependent on the amount of snow. Use diff lock when you can. As others have said, ballast will help.

Looks like your bucket covers your wheel tracks from the picture in your avatar. That's key in my opinion.

I use the FEL and a 72 inch rear blade on mine. Sometimes I wish I had chains and the for them but I only plow gravel and concrete surfaces.

I've read posts that stated that they preferred turfs over other tires when not using chains. Can't comment on that. I have R4's and used KennyD's grooving which helped immensely.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gbnpp05 For This Useful Post:

JD-4100 (12-12-2016)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. OK, so the ballast box will stay on, and yes, I planned on using 4WD, and diff lock. Don't have chains, and hesitant to buy them unless/until I realize that the FEL is useless without them.

I don't have much of a choice of where to start plowing. The tractor lives in my above-freeing, insulated and sometimes heated barn shop. The barn is near the bottom of the sloped driveway, and the house, garage and parking area are halfway up the slope, toward the road. So the first plowing will be uphill all the way to the road.

I do have the turf tires, so I'm surprised to hear that they should do half-decent on snow. They have the finest tread, for driving on lawns. Always wished that it had the R4, or whatever they're called, as I thought they had better traction, and I definitely didn't want Ag tires. But I bought this tractor early this year, with the tires that are on it.

Worst case scenerio is I either buy chains the the rear, or just keep using the walk-behind snow thrower that I've actually thought about selling.

Maybe it won't snow this winter.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    Will

JD 4100 HST, MFWD; JD 410 w/61" bucket, Ken's BoltOn hooks & shackles; Titan ballast box; modified quick hitch; 6' landscape rake & wheel kit; TS subsoiler; Woods Mowin'Machine; 61" mower deck, vac & hopper.

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks
    Your tractor is similar to my JD 650,,, identical size front tires,,,

There is ZERO chance the tractor will successfully move any snow with turf tires.

If you have any grades, add a rear blade,, you will need it as a boat anchor during your first out of control slide.

Being able to stop the tractor is more important than getting the tractor to go,,,,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (12-12-2016)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD-4100 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. OK, so the ballast box will stay on, and yes, I planned on using 4WD, and diff lock. Don't have chains, and hesitant to buy them unless/until I realize that the FEL is useless without them.

I don't have much of a choice of where to start plowing. The tractor lives in my above-freeing, insulated and sometimes heated barn shop. The barn is near the bottom of the sloped driveway, and the house, garage and parking area are halfway up the slope, toward the road. So the first plowing will be uphill all the way to the road.

I do have the turf tires, so I'm surprised to hear that they should do half-decent on snow. They have the finest tread, for driving on lawns. Always wished that it had the R4, or whatever they're called, as I thought they had better traction, and I definitely didn't want Ag tires. But I bought this tractor early this year, with the tires that are on it.

Worst case scenerio is I either buy chains the the rear, or just keep using the walk-behind snow thrower that I've actually thought about selling.

Maybe it won't snow this winter.
    Why? My barn where my tractor is stored is at the low spot of my driveway. I simply drive to the top of the driveway (bucket up), turn around, and plow downhill.

Rinse and repeat.

Just did that today -

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post1387793
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I don't get much snow here so I use the FEL. I have the BXpanded tooth bar on mine and don't plan on taking it off for any reason. I level the FEL, tip it up just a bit, put in float mode and go. With the FEL you can shake off any snow that might want to stick to it. I also have R4's which in snow and any type of grade is not a good thing. They like to slide, especially sideways. No grip at all on the sides and not much going forward and backwards. Chains keep this from happening. I have gravel and it still is a problem with sliding without chains. BXpanded also has a flat bar you can put on your FEL so you can scrape all the way down if you so choose. It will protect your FEL edge. And should any of the snow turn to ice, you will need chains. I came close to not making it back up my drive the first time I used my tractor with the FEL. And that was using 4x4 and rear diff. locked in. On gravel! Where someone had driven on my drive had turned to ice. They had driven up my drive and back down/out, once. And after I drove on it clearing the snow out it turned to ice before I started back up it. That's when I knew I needed chains. Get a set. It will protect you and everything around you. Except maybe your asphalt/cement driveway.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Why? My barn where my tractor is stored is at the low spot of my driveway. I simply drive to the top of the driveway (bucket up), turn around, and plow downhill.

Rinse and repeat.

Just did that today -

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post1387793
    Stan, I'm not certain of this, but you only got 3" of snow, and if I'm non mistaken, you have a stone driveway? I think under those condx, you have enough traction. If we get 6-12 on blacktop, not sure I could drive through unplowed snow, up the grade, with turf tires. Do you have turf tires on your tractor? Do you ever use chains?
    Gizmo2, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Will

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast