• 1 Post By JimR
  • 3 Post By Tom N OH

Thread: John Deere 60" broom spinning on shaft

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-15-2018 @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 60" broom spinning on shaft

I have a broom on my 1565. I was brushing too much snow yesterday and I broke something. Everything works great until I get to the broom itself. The driveshafts, drive gears, chain, etc all turn and work as they should. The problem is that the shaft turns inside the broom.
    Is there some sort of key that welds into one of these holes? The broom spins on the shaft on the drive side. The other side it spins with the shaft. You can see a keyway in the shaft in the middle of the hole.
    There are no holes that go all the way through for a shear bolt.
    The opposite side of these holes has a plug welded in it, so the hole doesn't go all the way through the broom either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broom 1.jpg   Broom 2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT.

I'd say you broke a shear bolt, which is designed to protect the expensive parts of the implement. Shear bolts are usually just garden variety Grade 2 bolts one gets at the hardware store.
    etcallhome and em14 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    Looking at JDParts, it looks like there is supposed to be a key on the shaft. If you are standing in front of it, the keyed end should be on the right. The key should be on the end of the shaft right at the drive gear.
    Last edited by JimR; 12-12-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
    I have a broom on my 1565. I was brushing too much snow yesterday and I broke something. Everything works great until I get to the broom itself. The driveshafts, drive gears, chain, etc all turn and work as they should. The problem is that the shaft turns inside the broom.
    Is there some sort of key that welds into one of these holes? The broom spins on the shaft on the drive side. The other side it spins with the shaft. You can see a keyway in the shaft in the middle of the hole.
    There are no holes that go all the way through for a shear bolt.
    The opposite side of these holes has a plug welded in it, so the hole doesn't go all the way through the broom either.
    I am confused, the brush has two halves and a through shaft? I am not seeing any of this on JDParts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broom one.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	279801
    Last edited by RandyM; 12-12-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add diagram
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Welcome to GTT.

I'd say you broke a shear bolt, which is designed to protect the expensive parts of the implement. Shear bolts are usually just garden variety Grade 2 bolts one gets at the hardware store.
    From what I can tell there are no shear bolts on the broom itself. There is no hole for a shear bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Looking at JDParts, it looks like there is supposed to be a key on the shaft. If you are standing in front of it, the keyed end should be on the right. The key should be on the end of the shaft right at the drive gear.
    I looked at the same diagram, it is my belief that the key is for the gear, #40. It looks to me like they show the key going on the end of the shaft, and the gear going over the key.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    I am confused, the brush has two halves and a through shaft? I am not seeing any of this on JDParts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broom one.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	279801
    The brush that I have is one piece, we will call it #35 according to that diagram, of course with a lot of #34's on it. There is a shaft that is going through it, but maybe that is supposed to be a permanent part of the broom. My broom is turning on that shaft. So maybe it's as easy as welding it where the hole that I picture is. Maybe those holes are there just for that reason, to weld the shaft to the broom.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am going to check it later tonight and see if I can find evidence of a weld on the shaft.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Is #36 a key for the shaft. ?
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    Is #36 a key for the shaft. ?
    Yes it is. That's the key I was referring to in my earlier post.
    etcallhome likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 08:49 PM
    Thanks
    OMM175491 Refer to this manual, especially Section 31, "Shear Bolts" & "Replacing Brush Sections 60 Broom". http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMM1.../MXT014937.gif In this picture, you can just make out a shear bolt going through the shaft right where the letter "A" is at. This is on the drive end. I'm thinking this is where you'll find your problem.
    Last edited by Tom N OH; 12-12-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    mjncad, RandyM and joshn3448 like this.
    2014 5045E, H240 Loader, Speeco Cat. 2 Quick Hitch, Woods SB84C Snow blower, King Kutter 72" Back Blade converted to Cat. 2, Unknown Antique 72" Disc Converted to Cat. 2.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements