Like Tree230Likes

Thread: PTO Mid Shaft rattling noise when in float for my Snowblower

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks

PTO Mid Shaft rattling noise when in float for my Snowblower

1025R with a 47" Blower

I read all the various threads about noise and shaking, but Ive not seen a lot of feedback of what was found to fix the issue. Ive changed the two bearings ( one was bad) and realigned the drive shaft and inspected all the joints for slop etc. and found nothing. It seems to go away if I pull it out of float and elevate the blower about a 1/2 inch (?) and the rattling goes away. I've tried RPM up and down but all that does is change the frequency of the rattle. I disconnected the mid mount shaft and ran it and that seem to make the noise go away or not as there's no load on the system.

What is going on that just moving the blower up slightly would affect the issue? Is there a chance the drive shaft is too long and riding into the mid mount pto output spline? Even though the drive shaft floats back and forth.

Dealer says bring it in and wait about 2 weeks for the current backlog before it can be looked at. This is not really an option I'd like to do as I like to fix what I use
    pcabe5 likes this.
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Any chance the chain is slack and it's slapping around? Raising the blower may put some tension on the PTO to load the chain and keep it tight.....? Just a SWAG.......
    pcabe5 and tj1 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Try loosening all 6 bolts and nuts securing the drive shaft hex bearings, let the bearings with the shaft in place take a new set position. Maybe if the bearings find a spot slightly higher than where they are, it may give a better alignment condition. Move the assembly to force movement.
    pcabe5 and Drifterbike like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Thanks
    lowering or lifting the snowblower shouldn't do anything to the midshaft from the pto to the bearing carrier, it's in a fixed position. I'd check the small driveshaft connected to the blower intself for anything weird.
    pcabe5, tj1 and Drifterbike like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:53 PM
    Thanks
    I guess it's time to start checking everything. Skid shoe bolts tight? I had some loosen up and make a heck of a racket. All the shear bolts in place? Drive chain adjusted and lubed? U-joints tight and lubed?
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-07-2017 @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    lowering or lifting the snowblower shouldn't do anything to the midshaft from the pto to the bearing carrier, it's in a fixed position. I'd check the small driveshaft connected to the blower intself for anything weird.
    The bearing carrier is in a fixed position when the weight of hitch+blower are on it.
    But when the blower is floated (ie. weight's on the ground), there's some slop in it.
    At least on mine... it's easy to see, with just the carrier installed on the tractor.

Hmm, thinking about it just gave me the idea how to easily test this: just float the
    running blower while stopped atop an incline (steep enough that the blower doesn't
    touch the ground, so the full weight is still on the hitch assembly). I'll give that a
    try later (mine is behaving the same as FB's) & report back.
    pcabe5, rydplrs, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    '13 1025r (375hrs), psrumors' seat springs, h120 fel & 52" ratchet rake, 54d mmm (autoconnect & mechanical lift), imatch, wood-decked countyline carry-all
    ballast box, artillian fronthoe & 42x3" forks w/backrest, jd 47" front snowblower w/chute actuator, everythingattachments 48" box blade & 60" scrape blade

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 PM
    Thanks
    My brand new 54" blower on my 1026r did the same thing the first year I got it. I checked everything and could never find the source of the horrendous rattling the first year. SO last year, I also noticed I had the same annoying rattling when using the #52 broom. So I determined it wasn't related to the snowblower but of course had to be somewhere in the drive line. So last fall when I put the blower on I let it run at full throttle and found the source of the rattle. It was the rod that hold the first bracket that the quick hitch attaches to.

As an experiment, I replaced the rod with 2 grade 8 bolts, one on each side, and the noise went away. However, because the bracket is attached so securely to the tractor there was a tremendous amount of vibration which I didn't like. I went back to the solid rod and of course the annoying rattling came back. There is a little "slop" built into the hole in the tractor frame where this bracket attaches probably to allow easier insertion so I haven't figured out what to do yet. But I was relieved that it was mostly annoyance and not the drive line ready to come apart. I'm surprised that this issue hasn't surfaced on the tractor chat sites before. It sounds like it could be more than just an isolated problem.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tweivoda View Post
    My brand new 54" blower on my 1026r did the same thing the first year I got it. I checked everything and could never find the source of the horrendous rattling the first year. SO last year, I also noticed I had the same annoying rattling when using the #52 broom. So I determined it wasn't related to the snowblower but of course had to be somewhere in the drive line. So last fall when I put the blower on I let it run at full throttle and found the source of the rattle. It was the rod that hold the first bracket that the quick hitch attaches to.

As an experiment, I replaced the rod with 2 grade 8 bolts, one on each side, and the noise went away. However, because the bracket is attached so securely to the tractor there was a tremendous amount of vibration which I didn't like. I went back to the solid rod and of course the annoying rattling came back. There is a little "slop" built into the hole in the tractor frame where this bracket attaches probably to allow easier insertion so I haven't figured out what to do yet. But I was relieved that it was mostly annoyance and not the drive line ready to come apart. I'm surprised that this issue hasn't surfaced on the tractor chat sites before. It sounds like it could be more than just an isolated problem.

This rattle subject has come up a few times now.... Mine does and I have done what others have done to find or fix the issue with no success. Although I have pondered over the quick hitch itself but, the light bulb just didn't click with me on that one. Thanks for the fix and posting it.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    If you still want to use bolts versus the quick hitch pin you could try to use nylon or rubber washers in conjunction with locknuts and see if that would dampen the vibration. Something like an elastomer ring would probably work better as it could be thicker.
    pcabe5, tj1 and Drifterbike like this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks
    "Sparkle" I'll try hanging the blower tomorrow as I just came in from playing with the rattle issue. The Noise sounds like its coming from under the tractor, but it could be elsewhere.

I did the following today:
    1.Disconnected all the different drive shafts and turned the mid PTO on and still heard the noise, but a very low frequency so I believe it might be in the drive train yet and not the blower unit. (Noise is still there when disconnected)

2. Double checked the chain tension in the blower unit. (It was per spec)

3. Pulled, twisted and pressed on all the universals to check for bad bearings (all OK. I was surprised to see a very strange universal that hooks the blower unit to the tractor. Hard to describe you need to look at yours)

4. Checked all linkage (all firmly attached and bolts torqued)

During all this laying on the garage floor in 19 degree weather (Dog is licking my face as well) I did note during my press and pull inspection the output shaft from the Mid mount PTO has what I though an excessive amount of side to side play when pulling on the quick disconnect. I'm going to say 0.100 of play. Now if the bearing in the housing were bad this would/could cause the rattle noise? Can anyone crawl under their tractor and give theirs a tug side to side or from wheel to wheel direction and give me the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1966.jpg  
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast