Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Another "what to do"

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks

Another "what to do"

Was just informed by family that I need to tell them today what I want for Christmas. I'm not one to really specify what gift I want to receive but I'm going to seize the opportunity now. I'm really torn between a hydraulic top link or a quick hitch. Which of the two makes most sense and will be of most use?
    Superglidesport, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    Was just informed by family that I need to tell them today what I want for Christmas. I'm not one to really specify what gift I want to receive but I'm going to seize the opportunity now. I'm really torn between a hydraulic top link or a quick hitch. Which of the two makes most sense and will be of most use?
    Quick hitch IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, give them the option and see which one shows up under the tree.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    I'd vote quick hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Just glancing over your signature with your equipment list, I would say -

You can use the quick hitch on just about all (or all) of them.

The hydralic top link would only be useful with 2 of them.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Just glancing over your signature with your equipment list, I would say -

You can use the quick hitch on just about all (or all) of them.

The hydralic top link would only be useful with 2 of them.
    You are spot on, the one implement I use a lot and causes me the most grief in constant adjustment is the box blade. I do a lot of gravel driveways, small parking lots, and dirt work on new constructions for the public and man I would like a hydraulic top link for it. But like you said, the quick hitch has constant uses as evident from the paint being gone on the lift arms from my boot kicking the ever living sh*t out of them every time I unhook or hook to implements.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Thanks
    And that's the only implements that I ever install a hydraulic too link on. Blade and sometimes tiller and post hole digger I think I cant remember. That and down force kit as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    You are spot on, the one implement I use a lot and causes me the most grief in constant adjustment is the box blade. I do a lot of gravel driveways, small parking lots, and dirt work on new constructions for the public and man I would like a hydraulic top link for it. But like you said, the quick hitch has constant uses as evident from the paint being gone on the lift arms from my boot kicking the ever living sh*t out of them every time I unhook or hook to implements.
    Since you use your box blade that much, better get both!

As far as a top link for the box blade - I think I would wait to save up enough to do it right and get a top 'n tilt (top link and side link). That would make running a box blade a dream!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Since you use your box blade that much, better get both!

As far as a top link for the box blade - I think I would wait to save up enough to do it right and get a top 'n tilt (top link and side link). That would make running a box blade a dream!
    That would be fantastic but I only have one rear remote. So far (and things can always change) most everything I do with the box blade is done with it being level side to side. I'm constantly changing the pitch of it though hence wanting the top link. I worry though that connecting the hydraulic top link could be a real pain in the a$$ by itself but would be fantastic with use of a quick hitch but I may be very wrong. Have been around equipment my entire life and never once used a quick hitch and never have used a hydraulic top link either. All I know is I'm ready for one of the other and hopefully soon be able to add whichever I don't decide upon this go around. I've been poking around on fit rite hydraulics page and they definitely seem to be able to hook me up at a better price than I first assumed while looking at other sources. I have read a lot of threads on here about quick hitches as well but haven't found a definite answer as to which brand quick hitch would be the one I'd most likely be happy with.

I've also been kicking around the ideal of letting family spend their money on the top link and go cheap out of my own pocket to buy the harbor freight quick hitch, not sure if that's a good path to travel down but it is inticing
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 12-15-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    That would be fantastic but I only have one rear remote. So far (and things can always change) most everything I do with the box blade is done with it being level side to side. I'm constantly changing the pitch of it though hence wanting the top link. I worry though that connecting the hydraulic top link could be a real pain in the a$$ by itself but would be fantastic with use of a quick hitch but I may be very wrong. Have been around equipment my entire life and never once used a quick hitch and never have used a hydraulic top link either. All I know is I'm ready for one of the other and hopefully soon be able to add whichever I don't decide upon this go around. I've been poking around on fit rite hydraulics page and they definitely seem to be able to hook me up at a better price than I first assumed while looking at other sources. I have read a lot of threads on here about quick hitches as well but haven't found a definite answer as to which brand quick hitch would be the one I'd most likely be happy with.

I've also been kicking around the ideal of letting family spend their money on the top link and go cheap out of my own pocket to buy the harbor freight quick hitch, not sure if that's a good path to travel down but it is inticing
    I have the JD iMatch quick hitch with the fixed top hook. I also have the FitRite hyd top link. I would not be without either one. The Imatch makes it so easy to switch implements and I have several that I switch with. The hyd top link allows me to vary the way the implements work. For example, I have wheels on my 8ft rake that I can vary how much the tines dig by instantly changing the hyd top link. I have a 8ft hyd rear blade with runners that I can change instantly how much the blade digs. Really great in the snow. I can instantly change how much the box blade digs. I pretty much use the hyd top link every time I use the 3pt.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast