• 1 Post By cheesetrain
  • 1 Post By Earthling

Thread: Front-Mounted Snow Blower for Compact Tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks

Front-Mounted Snow Blower for Compact Tractor

I'm considering the purchase of a front-mounted snow blower for my JD 2720. I'm considering the following:

Any pros / cons (other than cost), along with other vendors / models, are welcomed.

P.S. I'm not able to use rear-mounted snow throwers due to the distance (> 1/2 mile) and aging back / neck.
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Just curious, you have ruled out the Deere unit?
    pcabe5, ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post
    I'm considering the purchase of a front-mounted snow blower for my JD 2720. I'm considering the following:

Any pros / cons (other than cost), along with other vendors / models, are welcomed.

P.S. I'm not able to use rear-mounted snow throwers due to the distance (> 1/2 mile) and aging back / neck.
    That Sheyenne blower is unique. Not sure I like the exposed chain drives for the auger and fan. Upon first glance I thought it was a single stage unit and was going to recommend against. Looked closer and then saw the fan. Quite unusual.

The Erskine looks like a rugged unit as well. Full subframe with integral driveshaft running off the rear 540 RPM PTO.

Price of third party VS Deere would be interesting as well.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 12-16-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks

Is the Sheyenne Black Max fluid driven and not PTO driven. If so I find that interesting. For all the "E" series tractors with no mid mount pto it would be ideal.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Is the Sheyenne Black Max fluid driven and not PTO driven. If so I find that interesting. For all the "E" series tractors with no mid mount pto it would be ideal.
    It is hydraulically driven so it could be used on any machine with a PTO (they have setups to run it off of either a mid- or rear PTO.)

I would have more questions for them though, They say it taps into your loader's hydro circuit and uses the tractor's hydro tank but runs it with their own pump. But I've seen several hydro implements that use fluids that aren't compatible with the JD Hydro fluid so I'd want to make sure that that thing is truly compatible.

I ran into this with my dump trailer. It came with a hydro cylinder for lift and was setup to run off of a tractor for the controls/feed but they warned to only use DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid with it and specifically stated that any other fluid was unacceptable. So I ended up having to mount my own tank and pump with controls directly on the trailer to get it to work.
    RandyM, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 970 Posts
    10 years ago I looked at the Kioti CK series. A front mount blower was a must and they didn't offer one at that time. The dealer mentioned a unit that ran off the 540 rear PTO. It's price was about twice what we paid for our complete front mount setup from Deere. Those 2 linked blowers are real beasts!
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 10:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Just curious, you have ruled out the Deere unit?
    Thanks for the heads-up. The JD website only lists rear-mounted PTO units for the 2000 series compact tractors; the Canadian JD website lists the 54" front-mounted unit. I called my local dealer (Virginia) who reported it is still available / supported and would be delivered to them in 2-3 weeks.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    John Deere 2720 with 200CX Loader and 62D Belly Mower
    Attachments: Frontier LR1060 Landscape Rake, John Deere 54" Front-Mounted Snowblower, Frontier RB 1060 Rear Blade, Frontier PM1001 Middlebuster, Howse DLHT168 Tandem Disc Harrow

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads-up. The JD website only lists rear-mounted PTO units for the 2000 series compact tractors; the Canadian JD website lists the 54" front-mounted unit. I called my local dealer (Virginia) who reported it is still available / supported and would be delivered to them in 2-3 weeks.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
    http://m.deere.com/en_US/docs/html/b...id=729db26d#18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks

That Sheyenne unit is not something I would trust the design of, at least not where I live. The throat size for the auger seems to be limited (watching the video it cannot keep up with even the light fluffy snow they are blowing) and any snow that does not enter the throat of the auger is simply pitched out front. In heavy wet snow this will be a vicious cycle, quickly overwhelming the throat opening. The second part is the exposed chain, where we live we often have to deal with ice, having ice run through that chain is going to be problematic sooner or later. Also the design seems to be optimized for relatively modest snow conditions, if you were prone to large dumps of snow I would look for something more like the Erskine or a traditional single auger, multi-stage design like the JD.

The Erskine is a completely different beast from a design perspective but if I were looking at light fluffy/deep stuff I would probably lean towards the Zagg, or if I had to deal with more heavy slushy snow I might opt for a more traditional design (single auger).

Have no experience with either of the above models, just looking at the design.
    pcabe5 likes this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements