Green Tractor Talk banner

Augers on 54 inch snowblower

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  genesusie 
#1 ·
Here is question, on the end of each auger on 54 inch blower (also 47 inch) where it pushes the snow to impeller I see there are slots on the ends what these slots for? My first thought was jd used to have paddles mounted so the snow gets push to impellers faster.

#5 · (Edited)
That's odd. I wasn't aware of any changes to the augers. JD Parts only shows one part number. Can you post a photo of yours? Every image I can find on-line has the same slots that I show in my photo.

#4 ·
I just checked the service manual...
Page 14 states that you are to insert a $20 bill (some of you can substitute $50s) in each slot when the equipment is not being used.
This serves the purpose to remind you how much you have invested and cannot use the said equipment.
Furthermore, if you wish to leave the bills in place, you will see green when you blow the snow too!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!:lolol:
I hope everyone has a safe and very MERRY CHRISTMAS! (and yes I meant to shout it).

#9 ·
They might be a byproduct of manufacturing, or a way to relieve surface tension (water) so that the snow doesn't stick as much. I doubt they are for paddles as I would expect some other form of mounting to go with them (threaded holes) but I could always be wrong.

Reactions: RandyM and mjncad
#11 · (Edited)
I would agree with your deduction. Generally a hole and a short slot are used for fixturing parts to take up tolerance in part and still accurately position parts. Long slots require custom punches and dies or multi hits that is not in the bean counters cross hairs. But not everything JD does makes sense...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.