Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: western snow plow on 3039R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks

western snow plow on 3039R

I have an opportunity to purchase a complete 7' western snow plow from a buddy. Its in great shape. I am wondering, has anyone else converted one to fit and work properly on the loader. Or is it just better to buy the snow plow from the dealer?
    pcabe5 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    A guy down the road has a western plow he converted to his 3720 front end loader. He's an old school farmer and very talented in fabrication. I once saw him laying on his back stick welding the bottom of his grain bin over his head. I think any plow could be converted if you have the talent..
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    I agree with Drifterbike,
    I think any plow could be converted if you have the talent..
    It may be easier to make a frame for the tractor and forget the loader arms.
    pcabe5, BigJim55, johnH123 and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (12-30-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    First thing that comes to mind is the weight of a 7' Western plow. I have no idea but I would think it would be much heavier than the Deere plow made for the tractor.

With the proper lift setup I don't think it would be a problem lifting it - but when plowing - especially if you have a gravel or dirt driveway - a heavy plow is going to cause some damage to the road quickly.
    pcabe5 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is the weight of a 7' Western plow. I have no idea but I would think it would be much heavier than the Deere plow made for the tractor.

With the proper lift setup I don't think it would be a problem lifting it - but when plowing - especially if you have a gravel or dirt driveway - a heavy plow is going to cause some damage to the road quickly.
    I was thinking weight also but not for the same reason.
    pcabe5 and johnH123 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I have about 900 feet of gravel drive to my house. The plow has shoes that i think will keep it up and out of the gravel. Just wondering about all this as the plows i have seen available from the dealers seem on the light side.
    pcabe5 likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    There is a traction issue here. This is the way I look at it -

The Western plow is designed mostly for 3/4 ton pickups and 1 ton+ dump trucks. Those trucks weigh a minimum of 7k# (just guessing). Now what is the weight of your tractor?

Your gravel drive when not yet frozen will be a challenge no matter what you use. The heavier the plow the more of a challenge it will be. Skid shoes are not going to stop the plow from digging in. Once frozen however it will be fine.

The weather has changed over the years. I used to do my first plowing on an un-frozen driveway, then it would usually freeze and be fine the rest of the season. The past couple years however it seems I am plowing an un-frozen driveway more than when it is frozen - it keeps warming up during the winter.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Western plow - just hoping you can be aware of any possible pitfalls. Imagine doing all the work to modify it for your tractor only to be a nightmare to use.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I think it could work, but what all is included in the complete system he has? You won't need any of the truck side parts, the pump, controller, etc so it's not worth paying for. All you'll be able to use is the blade, cylinders and possibly part of the mounting system. At a minimum you'll need one rear SCV on your tractor if you want to hydraulically angle the blade, unless you already have a diverter valve plumbed to the front of your loader. That goes for any plow though, even the ones made for your tractor.

There will be some welding and custom fitting required to put loader mounts on it, it shouldn't be too hard to do if you're handy with welding and light fabricating. Weight may be an issue, but it may not. Your tractor can certainly lift it, though like others have said it will try to dig in on soft ground. Skid shoes will help, the bigger the better. You may still need to keep an eye on it because if it's soft enough the shoes will sink a little. No big deal, worst case you don't have to put the loader into float mode. You can lower it to an inch or so off the ground and let the tractor hold it up instead of digging in.

I'd try it for the right price.
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    Are you getting the whole western system or just the blade? I had a Western plow on my pickup and what it basically was a self contained unit. The pump hung on a A frame mounted in front of the grilland only the controls were inside the cab. If you got the whole setup it would not be to bad to mount a frame on the front of the tractor for the electric pump and not even need the tractors hydrolics.
    pcabe5, BigJim55 and em14 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Made one for my 790. 7' western I got for $50. Works good although I chain up when it get slippery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0285.JPG  
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast