Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Trac Vac Repair Help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks

Trac Vac Repair Help

I have a Trav Vac 880 which has been wonderful, but has started to burn quite a bit of oil. I am planning on pulling the engine off and going through it to find the culprit.
    First I have to get the impeller off which is where I am having an issue.
    The following pictures show the impeller, the impeller mounted to the engine shaft and the hex screw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0405.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	289794

Name:	IMG_0406.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	289802

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	289810

I have not been able to get the impeller off the shaft. The hex screw appears to be locking the key into the key seat. Off course I stripped the hex screw. Couple of questions. First how best to remove the damaged flush hex screw (screw extractor)? Second any thoughts on this set up and how to remove the impeller?

I am guessing that the shaft might be tapered, but I am thinking the hex screw needs to be removed first.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Greg
    pcabe5 likes this.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    I don't believe the shaft is tapered. If it was tapered, it probably would not have a key.
    Getting the rounded out set screw out will definitely be a challenge. Since set screws are hardened, they are pretty hard to drill out although this it probably going to be your best bet. Sometimes heating the set screw red hot and then letting it cool off slow takes some of the heat treat out of them. This may help to drill the hole through it. Easy outs are most likely not going to work. Most times when a set screw rounds out, it is rusted fast so easy outs are most likely not going to work either.
    Good quality drill bits (you will need several), start with a small bit, probably about 1/8", run at high RPM, lots of lube and don't try to take too much at a time. Once you get the first small hole through the set screw, then step up in small increments.
    Once you get enough of the set screw drill out, you will probably need a two jaw puller to pull the impeller off the shaft.
    Spray lots of rust penetrant on it during the drilling process.
    Good luck!!

When you reassemble, use never-seize on the set screw.
    RandyM, pcabe5 and keane like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Gebada22 (01-01-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Before you drill it out its would be worth trying to heat it up and then try tapping a slightly larger torx into the stripped allen key hole. It might bite and save drilling.
    pcabe5, Levi, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clayh For This Useful Post:

Gebada22 (01-01-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. Do you think a gear puller could remove the impeller while the nut is still holding the key down. The reason I ask is because with the impeller in the housing it will be all most impossible to get a drill on the screw. Just curious on your thoughts before I move forward. Thanks.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebada22 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Do you think a gear puller could remove the impeller while the nut is still holding the key down. The reason I ask is because with the impeller in the housing it will be all most impossible to get a drill on the screw. Just curious on your thoughts before I move forward. Thanks.
    It's probably worth a shot!! Honestly, that is probably what I would try. The set screw is just a secondary method of securing the impeller to the crankshaft.
    If pulling the impeller off does not work, clayh, in another post, suggested heating the set screw and then driving a torx bit in it and try to turn it out. This may also be worth a shot.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    I think a two-jaw puller set around the outer hub flange will pull that fan / impeller right off the shaft.

Name:	Puller.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	290218

Once off you can heat the set screw, apply some penetrant and attempt to remove it.
    Levi and Ray_PA like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I will go that route and report back. First tool purchase of the new year 👍. Thanks
    Ray_PA likes this.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebada22 View Post
    Thanks guys. I will go that route and report back. First tool purchase of the new year 👍. Thanks
    Buying tools is always fun!!!
    FYI....from looking at one of your posted pictures, it looks like you can hook the puller jaws right at the impeller hub. It would be best if you can hook the puller jaws close to the hub if possible. Pulling on the outside edge will cause the impeller to flex possibly bending it. GOOD LUCK!!! Getting these types of things apart is always a challenge and there isn't always one right answer as to how to get the desired results!! I have already resorted to cutting the piece off the shaft with a reciprocating saw. Hopefully you will not get to that level!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impeller_Ink_LI.jpg  
    RandyM likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Gebada22 (01-01-2017)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    You might be better off with a 3 jaw puller to prevent breaking the flange on the hub, if the flute spacing allow a 3 jaw.

I'd still try the heat and torx first.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all the help. I played with both a two and three puller, but no luck. The rib on the flange is so narrow you can't get any purchase on it. I wonder if the Trac Vac dealers have a collar (special tool) that fits around it allowing them to grab it. I purchased a Craftsman 2 and 3 way puller, but as I mentioned could not get ahold of it securely. I was tempted to grind the fingers to see if the would fit better. Instead I went to HF and purchased one of theirs and ground the fingers down. Much less expensive. I knew this would be risky as I weakened the fingers, but just had to try. I ended up breaking a couple of small pieces off the flange ring. At this point, I concluded that I would stop and just feed oil into the machine as needed.

Fun project non the less and I learned about pullers. Thanks again for all the help. I am going to ring the manufacturer next week and pick their brain. Cheers and Happy New Year.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast