Green Tractor Talk banner

Okay to grind down top link?

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  JamesCE 
#1 ·
So I'm putting on my 3pt hitch for the first time ....evvvaaaa! Noticed my top link doesn't fit. Just want to confirm that grinding both ends of the top link is not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is that the top link that came with the 1025r? I don't have a bushing like that on my top link? I just have the rounded ball not the "tubing" hanging out on each side.

See my corrected post below. Ignore this post.

#7 ·
Same on both ends? If it is the top link isn't right. Have your dealer swap it out for the correct one.

#8 ·
I stand corrected. I went out to the shed to get some firewood and took a look at my tractor. I do have a "bushing flare on each side of the ball and top link. It is 1 3/4" wide total width. My wife is now wondering why her kitchen counter has become my photo workbench. :lolol:

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks for asking the question.... I went out to the garage to measure and realized the tractor end of my top link was very stiff. I had to break out the PB blaster to free it up, then lubed it up good..

And, 96PSD is correct, both ends of mine are just under 1.75"...

#12 ·
Grind it slowly and carefully, making sure to shave equal amounts off each side and keep the faces parallel.

However, your dealer should have given you the correct one in the first place. As long as it isn't out of your way, I'd go back and make them replace it with the correct part.

#19 ·
Grind it slowly and carefully, making sure to shave equal amounts off each side and keep the faces parallel.
The top-link connection does not require close tolerance. On most tractors the top-link has room to slide back and forth a bit.

Reactions: pcabe5
#15 ·
If the dealer is close have them address the issue. You should not have to bang it into place. There must be a manufacturing issue with where the top link needs to seat. At least report it to the dealer so that it can be noted the next you do bring it in for service so they don't think you have done something to it later that leaves you on the hook to make the repair if necessary.

#20 ·
Okay imma give JD a call tomorrow,I'm sure I know what they will say... However here's pics post install. Notice both measure the same , rear and front. However, before I put the link in it was about 1/16th off.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.