Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: JD 790 sand spreader

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks

JD 790 sand spreader

Looking for recommendations on a spreader. I've been quoted by a JD dealer for a Frontier poly cone PTO bin while others are telling me a Herd 550 or 5.5 is the way to go. Other farmers tell me a 300$-500$ fertilizer, seed spreader will do a good job for the cost/life expectancy.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to spend the 1700$ if I don't have to, but want real advice from people not trying to sell me something or people who have enough money to buy 2-4 cheap spreaders every couple years.

I've got a '05 790 with a 419 loader and bucket. Since I plow with the bucket, my preference is to have a PTO vs. towable spreader. Thanks in advance,

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have any personal experience with using a PTO driven fertilizer/sand spreader but here a few to check out

Tractor 3 Point, PTO Cone Type, Broadcast Spreaders Fertilizer Seed Spreaders
    BigJim55 and em14 like this.
    2016 1025r TLB, H120 loader with 53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar, Ken's hooks, 54" mechanical lift deck/auto connect & mulching kit, 260 backhoe with 12" bucket, Titan pallet forks, County line post hole auger
    1987 318, 50" deck

Reluctant member of hitting the Rops on the garage door TWICE
    (Gone but not forgotten) 1947 John Deere D, 1984 318, 1985 430
    Stihl MS290 20" bar
    Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    Stihl BR350 Backpack blower

99 Honda Foreman S

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    I have a poly KingKutter and it appears to be well built. Just doing a google search and looking at the Frontier vs Rural King vs the King Kutter there doesn't seem to be much difference in any of them, I'd go with which ever was the best priced and closest to you.

If spreading something corrosive you may want to consider the KK as it has a stainless spinner, not sure of the others.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joshn3448 View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with using a PTO driven fertilizer/sand spreader but here a few to check out

Tractor 3 Point, PTO Cone Type, Broadcast Spreaders Fertilizer Seed Spreaders
    Not bad looking equipment, the sand control add-on is reasonably priced too

BigJim55 and joshn3448 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    I have a poly KingKutter and it appears to be well built. Just doing a google search and looking at the Frontier vs Rural King vs the King Kutter there doesn't seem to be much difference in any of them, I'd go with which ever was the best priced and closest to you.

If spreading something corrosive you may want to consider the KK as it has a stainless spinner, not sure of the others.
    I do like some of the hoppers have spinner arms that extend up into the bucket, sort of like an auger.

BigJim55 and joshn3448 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    I run an electric Buyers unit that has an auger that goes up into the hopper as well as a stainless spinner. Works great for spreading sand and rock salt, but anticipate replacing the electric motor every 2-3 years if using straight salt. It inserts into my Heavy Hitch and then I have a dual wire plug that it's connected to. I run it off a rocker switch on the dash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0204 (1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	292906
    DeereNC, tj1, Drifterbike and 3 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Hitch View Post
    I run an electric Buyers unit that has an auger that goes up into the hopper as well as a stainless spinner. Works great for spreading sand and rock salt, but anticipate replacing the electric motor every 2-3 years if using straight salt. It inserts into my Heavy Hitch and then I have a dual wire plug that it's connected to. I run it off a rocker switch on the dash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0204 (1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	292906
    That's a nice setup with the plow. How was wiring that in? DIY rocker install? Can you control the swath or how wide the spreader drops material?

Since my tractor is diesel, cold/winter starts are a concern esp if I'm running an accessory like a spreader. Do you monitor the battery amperage at all?

Drifterbike likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    Install was pretty simple, I put the rocker switch in the cutout for the power deck lift switch on the left lower side dash, then brought a hot wire straight from the battery using a fused circuit. I used a sheathed 2 wire 12 gauge and ran it under the floor board to the rear of the tractor. I just coil it up in the summer and zip tie it under my toolbox when not in use. My 1026R is diesel as well and I've never had an issue with voltage or battery drain. I like the electric unit because I can "pulse" the spreader to control how far I want to throw the material. I would go through 2 times the amount of salt if I just turned the unit on and left it on down the drive and it would also kill the grass in the spring putting too much on. I've been running this set up for over 7 years and have run over 5 tons of salt through it. Beware, using rock salt or any of the corrosive deicers can and will completely rust out the back of your tractor in time. I spray a special oil all over the back of my tractor and spreader about 2-3 times throughout the season to help protect it from rusting.
    Last edited by Heavy Hitch; 01-05-2017 at 05:50 AM.
    Drifterbike and joshn3448 like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Hitch For This Useful Post:

69project (01-12-2017)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Hitch View Post
    Install was pretty simple, I put the rocker switch in the cutout for the power deck lift switch on the left lower side dash, then brought a hot wire straight from the battery using a fused circuit. I used a sheathed 2 wire 12 gauge and ran it under the floor board to the rear of the tractor. I just coil it up in the summer and zip tie it under my toolbox when not in use. My 1026R is diesel as well and I've never had an issue with voltage or battery drain. I like the electric unit because I can "pulse" the spreader to control how far I want to throw the material. I would go through 2 times the amount of salt if I just turned the unit on and left it on down the drive and it would also kill the grass in the spring putting too much on. I've been running this set up for over 7 years and have run over 5 tons of salt through it. Beware, using rock salt or any of the corrosive deicers can and will completely rust out the back of your tractor in time. I spray a special oil all over the back of my tractor and spreader about 2-3 times throughout the season to help protect it from rusting.
    Electric controls sound a lot nicer than some of the manual levers for pto driven spreaders look... I might not have a precut rocker switch panel but I'm all for diy. Thanks for idea and sharing details

Drifterbike likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    I went with the Meyer BL240. Electronic control, 8 speeds, comes with 2" receiver mount, very easy to install. I just used heavy duty Velcro to mount control on left fender,easy to remove if I want to come spring. It has a guard to keep salt off tractor, I've only used twice but see no salt on tractor. Before my I park it I use a long tipped blow gun aand blow salt off the spinner. With multiple speeds you can put the salt where you want to I found speed 3 throws it the width of my drive. Holds 240lbs at once with rock salt never had jams. The salt I bought has a blue tint so you can see where it goes. Cost between $750-900 depending when you buy it. Like I say I have only used it twice but it does a super job, there is no ice or snow in my whole yard. (Maybe the 55 degrees last week had something to do with that)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    keane, nicksteck, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifterbike For This Useful Post:

69project (01-12-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast