Box blade vs grader blade with hydraulic angle?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Box blade vs grader blade with hydraulic angle?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    Any opinions appreciated....not sure which one to get for grading driveway and spreading various materials.
    Last edited by Maineguy77; 01-06-2017 at 06:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    A landplane is far better than either.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

BlueridgeBob (01-19-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks
    I have a box blade, hyd angle rear blade, landscape rake and harrow. I use all of them except for the box blade. I think I have only used it once or twice and only quickly. For a driveway, I use the front end loader to move the material around, then I use the landscape rake to smooth it out. Then if I feel it is necessary, I will use the harrow for a final finish. The box blade does have an advantage with it's scarifiers that allow you to dig up some material, so it does have it's own usage, such as renovating an old driveway where you need to dig up some of the material. If it was a dirt driveway, I might even use my disk to work the soil, before smoothing it out. Different situations require different tools. That is all your tractor attachments are, tools.

Dave
    pcabe5, OxPath and blue87fj60 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguy77 View Post
    Any opinions appreciated....not sure which one to get for grading driveway and spreading various materials.
    To better advise, we need a bit more info.

How long? Straight and flat or curves and banks to deal with? What type of materia<script id="gpt-impl-0.8788165588897838" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>l? Do you get a lot of rain and snow, probably being in Maine?

Most important, what tractor. Size can make a difference as to what implement-s are recommended.
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Thanks

I use my 60" box blade all the time for spreading gravel along my drive and parking area

as well as "grading" the area for the grandkids park.
    mjncad, pcabe5, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok some info. I have a sloped driveway so it washes out so I want to be able to grade it back. My driveway is processed material, it's like half inch size gravel and down mixed with stone dust and it's 175 ft long. I have used a box grader in the past, and I am just looking for something to give me a similar finish. I thought maybe the rear blade would be best for crowning. I also want to make some miner ditches for water flow so I figured the blade would work well for that. I have a 1025r, (ill attach a pic).

questions- Is it as easy to grade flat with a blade as a box blade? Also, should I just get both...lol
    Last edited by Maineguy77; 01-07-2017 at 01:49 PM.

10. Top | #7
    Fit Rite Hydraulics MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguy77 View Post
    Ok some info. I have a sloped driveway so it washes out so I want to be able to grade it back. My driveway is processed material, it's like half inch size gravel and down mixed with stone dust and it's 175 ft long. I have used a box grader in the past, and I am just looking for something to give me a similar finish. I thought maybe the rear blade would be best for crowning. I also want to make some miner ditches for water flow so I figured the blade would work well for that. I have a 1025r, (ill attach a pic).

questions- Is it as easy to grade flat with a blade as a box blade? Also, should I just get both...lol
    Here is why I asked for tractor size. Some of the implements are basically worthless because they have to be so light for the tractor to be able to use.

To start with a LPGS (land plane grading scraper)will be your best friend. Simply great for all around road maintenance. If you had a bit larger tractor I would be recommending a rear blade. But because of the size of your tractor, I feel that a box blade will better serve you. Without actually seeing the ground that you have to work, I just don't see a rear blade that weighs a couple of hundred lbs working all that well, but then I may very well be completely wrong. A rear blade would be great for the crowning and the ditching, but with all the 5 footers being so light weight and not really made for your tractor size, I just don't see them working for you very well.

Good luck.
    Ray_PA and ky_shawn like this.
    Brian

Manufacturer of Fit Rite Hydraulics

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think im going with the 48 inch frontier, the heavy one. I do have some ditching work but once its done I feel i will strictly be using the box blade to touch up the driveway. I think ill buy the 48 from my dealer and get a good one and buy a used blade to do the little ditching I have to do. Maybe the 54 not sure
    Last edited by Maineguy77; 01-07-2017 at 05:09 PM.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Can box blades be angled at all?

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 990 Posts
    This is a homemade rig I made for my old Ford 6 foot blade pulling a heavy walkway grating behind it.
    Use it for dirt and grading the driveway gravel.
    With the blade slightly lifted grating smoothes things out pretty good, have a high spot or want to
    work things, I just drop the blade all the way down.

Example of smoothing part of my backyard that was accidently plowed like the fields behind it.
    May not be the best, but gets it done on the cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blade grader 1.jpg   blade grader 2.jpg   blade grader 3.jpg   grader 4.jpg  
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 01-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast