Adding Skid Steer brush cutter to my 4720
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding Skid Steer brush cutter to my 4720

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks

Adding Skid Steer brush cutter to my 4720

Good rainy Saturday morning from SW Florida!!!

I've spent a lot of time recently reflecting on 2016 and making my plans for the farm in 2017. One of the untackled 2016 chores was attaching the ancient Bush Hog and clearing/re-clearing some brushy areas in the bottom land. This got me to dreaming about skid steer front mounted brush cutters with hydraulic motors; The principle advantage that I can see is having the mower in front of the operator- very useful for re-clearing brush, less safe if any obstacles remain, suck as stumps, rocks, logs, etc.

This got me to further wonder if any of the more knowledgeable members of the forum have added a front-mount hydraulic brush cutter to a 4- series Deere. If so, I could sure use some guidance, especially in the following areas:

1. How to mount mower to the bucket quick attach?
    2. How to attach the hydraulics?
    3. The current loader joystick controls both the up/down movement of the loader frame, but also the bucket curl feature. Would this stick need to be replaced with a joystick that switches the hydraulic motor on/off and raises/ lowers the motor frame?
    4. I think that my 4720 generates about 12 gpm flow rate through the hydraulics, and I assume that the hydraulic ports have both a flow and return line, though I'm not completely sure about this. Any thoughts?
    5. I've seen some of these mowers on CL, but am wondering which brand(s) have worked best for the forum members and why?

This project may be a no-go if I would have to buy a lot of ancillary equipment to make it feasible. So before I discuss this with my Mrs., who has much fewer budgetary restrictions than I do, I want to know exactly what I am biting off.

Your guidance is welcome and appreciated,

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    I have never seen this done, but am familiar with running brush cutters and mulchers on skid steers. I don't think your hydraulic flow will be sufficient to run one on your tractor hydraulics. The brush cutter type I am familiar with need at least 17 gpm. Also that much weight out front will mean you will need to carry enough ballast to offset and take weight off the front axle. The Solesby 66" brush cutter weighs 1300 lbs. You might be able to get the flow you need with a pto pump. Most require at least 2500 psi and many require more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253.PNG 
Views:	129 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	294146
    The mulching head types generally run about 1000 lbs. heavier for the same cutting width. Initial expense of the mulched type is much higher, with higher maintenance costs too.
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Your tractors hydraulic system will not support that, you'd have to run a rear PTO driven pump with it's own tank, cooler, lines, ect.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    The others are right. Your tractor lacks the flow rate and hydraulic horse power. I've run one on my skid steer that gets around 20 gpm and it worked ok but it sure made it work.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    It's been done by a member here, but I can't find the post. I believe he used a PTO driven pump system though.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Like tho others stated not enough flow.

My NH tractor has a Pronovost front mounted hydo blower that is run off the PTO. The PTO powers a 1:4 speed increaser that has a hydro pump attached to it. The pump obviously has suction and discharge ports that run to a tank that hangs off the 3PH. 1" hydro lines run under the tractor then up the loader arms and down to the quick attach blower. Takes under an hour to set up and strap the lines securely.

I have a McConnel boom flail mower (PA 92) that has a hydro system that is extremely close to the same thing.

I know that Quick Attach sells what they call a Power Pack for just under 5K with flows up to 24GPM. If you already own the cutter head that could be an option. Many advantages to having the mower up front but I'd make sure to have a HD screen to protect the front of the machine from flying debris that could take out the cooling systems not to mention protecting the operator.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    The others are right. Your tractor lacks the flow rate and hydraulic horse power. I've run one on my skid steer that gets around 20 gpm and it worked ok but it sure made it work.
    Many thanks to all who have read and commented on my idea. My dirt work guy attached one to his mini-excavator last summer; I'll pick his brain in the spring and maybe I'll start looking for a skid-steer for the farm. More toys!!!

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-21-2018 @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks

skid steer brush cutter

Are you still looking for a front end mount brush cutter. I have build one that works great. It will attach to any prime mover with a quick attach system. It is hydraulic driven and can use the hydraulic system of the prime mover. If you are interested I can send photos.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lwc4446 View Post
    Are you still looking for a front end mount brush cutter. I have build one that works great. It will attach to any prime mover with a quick attach system. It is hydraulic driven and can use the hydraulic system of the prime mover. If you are interested I can send photos.
    what’s a “prime mover”?
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    what’s a “prime mover”?
    A motor.

He must be talking about a power unit
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast