Green Tractor Talk banner

Pulverizer or tiller

13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  636mullet 
#1 ·
What's the best 3PH attachment for breaking up grass in NC hard red clay to prepare for reseeding or sod installation? I want to go about 3-4 inches deep and end up with looser soil to mix in lime and encourage root growth. I've been looking at soil pulverizers and roto tillers, in the 48" width. to pull behind my 1025R SCUT.

#3 ·
How much area do you need to do?

If more than a half acre, rent a skid steer and a Harley Rake or a Rock Hound, you can use your tractor to help, but let them do the heavy work. If under a half acre, a tiller would be OK but you'll still need something to smooth/level the dirt, like a drag harrow type thing (easy to make).

#4 ·
I've got about 12500 sq ft to do - NC red clay with spotty fescue and weeds to take care of. Need to mix in some lime, etc. as well. The clay is really hard in the August sun - I tried back and forward with my Ratchet Rake, both floating and with down force, and only scratched about 1" deep.

I'm concerned about getting a tiller or pulverizer for this use, then having it sit.

#5 ·
I bought a 48" Hawkline tiller for a garden, but it worked great for high spots in my yard. I used the tiller to break up the soil and then my 318 with blade to push the loose soil into the low spots. Once I had it the way I wanted I added some seed and tilled the top inch or so under and then used my lawn roller to smooth everything out. Worked VERY well. The tiller leaves everything pretty smooth and then the roller just finished it up. Grass was back to 100% in no time. Your area my be different, but our tractors are flying off the shelves and implements are selling pretty high on Craigslist around here. I bet you could buy a new tiller and not take much of a loss if you sell it. Personally I'd keep an eye on Craigslist and buy a used one. I bet you can use it for free if not make a profit if you are quick enough..... Just my $.02

Maybe these photos will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.