Green Tractor Talk banner

Question about painting implement.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rowdy*rodney 
#1 ·
I just ordered a pine needle rake from everything attachments. I would like to paint it JD Green. I don't want to strip it, prime it and shoot it. I'm wondering if anyone has light sanded, wiped it down with thinner and shot an implement with JD rattle cans. Wondering if it would hold up.

#2 ·
I have used Rustoleum "Farm" spray paint in JD green for touch up work on my equipment. The color match's the original paint perfectly and has help up very well.

#4 ·
Should work

It should be ok unless there's too much grease/oil on it. If you have a pressure washer you might give it a good cleaning to get rid of any of that.

Treefarmer

#5 · (Edited)
If it is new,,,
spray it with undiluted SuperClean,, (I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer to apply the stuff)

let is set 15-30 minutes (much longer if it is cold outside)

The SuperClean will etch the paint, and the result will look like it was sanded,
perfect for paint adherence.

I cleaned my first tractor with the stuff back in 1982,,,
a week later, I had to paint the tractor,,, :laugh:
There is nothing special about this stuff,,, any of the "purple" cleaners will do the same thing. :bigthumb:

#6 ·
I have the same EA rake and I had been thinking about painting it, too. I was thinking maybe of going with JD yellow instead of green. My reasoning was that if there were any minor scratches that went through to the original paint (caterpillar yellow) they would be less noticeable. But if I prime it, that's usually red or gray. So maybe it doesn't really matter.

My plan was to disassemble it, sand it, prime over the old paint, then paint it jd yellow. I haven't had trouble in the past when I prime over old paint (with sanding). But maybe I shouldn't do this. Any experts out there?

I don't think the paint on the EA rake will take a lot of abuse in normal use. I'm amazed at how well the paint holds up in my loader bucket.

#7 ·
Everything Attachments

Can't believe how quick the turn around time was for the Pine Needle rake. I ordered it Wednesday afternoon and it arrived today 48 hours later!!!

And yes Kean, John Deere Yellow is not a bad Idea!

Reactions: DRobinson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.