• 5 Post By coaltrain
  • 4 Post By ky_shawn

Thread: Brush Hog for 2032r questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks

Brush Hog for 2032r questions

It's getting close to that time of year. Most of you know I recently purchased 7.5 acres. The property is by far not flat, has rocks, brush, small trees and is in need of some clearing some old and dead trees. Once I get the dead trees on the ground cleared up and the hedge apple saplings removed I will need to brush hog once in a while to keep the grounds cleaned up. The 2032r has a 3 pt hitch lift capacity of 1250 lbs. quite impressive for a smaller tractor. But the question I need answered is, how are those of you with the 2 series or 2032r that has a 5 foot BH handling the 5'r? Have you seen any issues yet? Or should I go with the 4'r so I can navigate the hills and rock? I have searched here and there for this answer but cannot seem to find out how the 2 series does with the 5'r. Any input? Oh, My rear tires are flipped and filled.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    I have a 4' that I use with my 2520. Only reason is I already had it from when I had a 2210.

The 4' does not cover the tire tracks.

Now with that said, I use mine exclusevily in the woods and it works just fine. But if I were cutting open areas I would sell it and get a 5'.

As far as side hills I think a 5' would still be fine as long as you have some front ballast. Even with my 4' I won't run it without either the loader on or suitcase weights on the front. I use the weights more often because with the loader on it is much more difficult to negotiate in the woods.

If you are buying now I would just go ahead with a 5'. Just remeber to always have front balast.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

John Deere 1025R TLB (01-25-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    ME-I would buy the 5 foot one. i have a 4 footer, not wide enough, but jd at the time, said it was the one, buy the 5 and don't look back.
    pcabe5, Levi, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    ME-I would buy the 5 foot one. i have a 4 footer, not wide enough, but jd at the time, said it was the one, buy the 5 and don't look back.
    Looks like we are in the same spot Big Jim. We need to find a couple folks that have a 5' and want a 4' and be willing to trade.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I have a 5 ft brush cutter and the 2032 has more than enough power and lift capacity for one. So your tractor will run it with no problem.

IMHO the other factor that is just important is the areas that you are going to be cutting. Open area or tight quarters? A 5 ft is not an issue for open fields but can be a challenge if the area is tight with trees. A 4 ft would be more maneuverable in those close quarters because of the size difference, width and length.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Ok so it seems the 5' would be great for what I want to do. PCABE made a good point. However, I think that once I get the major junk trees cleared there should be enough room for the 5'r. I will start looking for a 5'r. I just wanted to make sure my tractor would be ok with pulling and lifting on hills. I will have to look into weights for on the front. Never had to have any before. Thank you much for the input.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Ok so it seems the 5' would be great for what I want to do. PCABE made a good point. However, I think that once I get the major junk trees cleared there should be enough room for the 5'r. I will start looking for a 5'r. I just wanted to make sure my tractor would be ok with pulling and lifting on hills. I will have to look into weights for on the front. Never had to have any before. Thank you much for the input.
    I have the extended weight bracket on the front of mine which holds 7 weights - this seems about just right for me. I have a lot of hills in the woods and can't always avoid being on a side hill. With the 7 weights I feel comfortable - a lot more comfortable than when I have the loader on as the suitcase weights are concentrated at the front of the tractor and down low compared to the loader.

Another thing to remember - you don't always have to lift the mower. When you lift it is when you might have issues on a hill. When the mower is down most of the weight is on the tail wheel. A lot of times I will just turn the PTO off and leave the mower down to move around.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I once owned a Kubota that was a close comparison to the 2 series. I ran a 5' cutter on it that weighed around 950lbs and the biggest issues I had with it was loading onto a trailer or trying to cross ditches with the cutter raised. I put all the weights I could hang onto the front of the tractor and it helped tremendously but I still had the headlights pointed to the sky when going up the ramps onto trailer. It soon became second nature to have my hand on the control lever and simply lower the cutter in situations I knew the front end would come off the ground before it even happened. I personally would much rather deal with occasionally lowering the cutter to get through certain sitatuons than deal with a cutter that isn't wide enough to cut out my tire tracks.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 01-26-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements