Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Green fever strikes again...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

Green fever strikes again...

This time, it's not green- rather it is orange. I was killing time on the woods site and ran across the BW12 12 foot batwing. I do a ton of mowing every year and it takes a lot of time- 2 and a half days to mow a 60 acre farm. Of course, I'm not getting anything this expensive for a while, so any discussion is purely pictorial, but I was wondering if 1) anyone has a 12 footer like this, and 2), the 4510 has 33 pto HP, just 2 less than spec calls for. Would the 4510 work?
    pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnH123 For This Useful Post:

ky_shawn (01-28-2017), ltbenji (01-28-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    We used to pull the 12 foot batwing with a 90HP tractor,,
    the 60HP was not enough,,,

I just got a 32 PTO HP tractor,, I would not even consider a 12 foot,,,

I think, for me,, 8 foot would be a stretch,,,
    Gizmo2, pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I forgot to say I almost never mow heavy weeds and grass. Just grazed grass and sedge.
    pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I did look at those when looking to purchase a rotary cutter but after they told me the price I quickly decided on the JD MX8. I am not familiar with your model tractor but I would think that you would want to stay well within your tractors capability
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks

Weight matters

If I'm reading the specs right, that mower weighs 4,900 lbs and calls for a minimum of 55 hp. We run a 15' Bushhog with an IH 90 hp tractor that weighs quite a bit more than the mower. I wouldn't want to lessen either the hp or tractor/mower weight ratio. It's not all about the horsepower, it's also about having enough weight and traction to handle the implement. If you only run the mower on very flat ground with thin, short grass you might possibly make it work. In a real world, I think it's asking for trouble and you would soon be looking to trade either the tractor or the mower.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 988 Posts
    I turn a regular 5' Woods Billy Goat with 27.4 PTO HP in high range 2nd normally, don't think I could turn a 6' except maybe in low range 3rd or 4th.

I'm guessing you'd be beyond your 33 HP capability trying to turn a 12' batwing.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks

bat-wing finish mower

I will start this off saying I would be lost without my frontier FM2017. I do use a 2014 4720 cab tractor which has 58 PTO HP. I do have a 72" MMM for it, but it became obvious that it just added to many tractor hrs, time, and fuel to keep using it to mow what I mow, that is why I got the 2012 FM2017. Used of course. I bought it from a JD dealer in OH for 11,500. Less than half of new. It was in great shape, but almost all of the tires needed tubes. I watched it sit on his lot for almost a year before he accepted my offer. I have been more than happy with it. I do wish that it had the larger tires on the decks. the bigger tires are MUCH better for flotation, and non compaction. Something to keep in mind is that 15ft and up mowers are heavy. Also know that DEERE doesn't make these mowers. 12 & 15 footers are made by WOODS, the 17 & 21 footers by Befco. If you find a good deal on a Frontier buy it but get the parts from the original manufacture. It will much cheaper and quicker than going thru DEERE, Trust me I know, but that is another story. These types of mowers are NOT in large demand, so JD dealers don't stock many if any parts for them, which leads to a minimum 2 week waiting period. For the smaller units go to any Woods dealer, for larger units Frontier/Befco I use www.germanbliss.com/befco. Great prices, super fast well priced shipping direct from Befco if not in there stock, and they stock a lot of parts for them.

Now. How does it mow? One of the best mowers I've used. It's 17' Frontier(Befco), (3-72" decks) FM2017. I routinely cut 4-6", some times 7-8" lawn at 4-5 mph with no problems. Great cut quality. Key word here is LAWN, NOT hay. Will it cut 12-18" grass with a 4720? Yes but the max speed is about 1-2 mph, and forget about running over what you just cut with another pass. Better off slowing down to a crawl on the first pass, as the clippings are even harder to cut than the original grass. The key to these mowers are sharp blades that are kept that way, the larger front anti-scalp roller on the decks, proper belt tension, overall deck/ machine set-up, and rear chain guards. I cut around edges of hay fields, large gas meter station in field, and sides of roads, along with about 6-7 acres of lawn. One great advantage of the bat-wing set up is quick and easy blade removal to replace or sharpen, plus cleaning of decks. I do mow on quit a few hillsides and the cabbed 4720 handles it going across the hills very well. Does the mower dog-track going across hillsides? Yes, but the Frontier/Befco outside decks can be slid left or right to increase/decrease overlap as needed depending on how steep of ground you are mowing. I should mention that I have both R4'S and turfs that are loaded, but now, because of hillsides usually have R4'S on. I also have suitcase weights for the front if needed. I haven't needed them yet. would I run a 17 footer on anything less than a 4720? NO. would I run a 15 footer with a 3720, I don't know, but I know guys that do, and are happy with it. I can guarantee that is fairly flat, and the grass isn't over 6" high. It all depends on YOUR land that you cut, how often its cut, and how fast you want to go. Cutting 5-6" grass at 5-5 1/2 mph on fairly level ground is a quick pace, which my 4720 pulling a 17' bat wing finish mower handles quite well. I should add that another option that I would not be without is the hydraulic release for the decks, weather you have a cab or open station. I added it after running mine after a while. I couldn't stand having to turn around and yank on the rope every time I had to drop the decks from transport mode. It did cost 500.00 bucks, but well worth it for me.

To summarize. Would I spend that amount of money, even on a used one. You bet. Any regrets? Yes. Wish I could have waited to find a used 2014-15 yr one as they have the larger deck tires on those years. That wasn't an option given mine is a 2012 model yr that was only 1 1/2 yrs old at the time I bought it. I needed and wanted one and got it at my price and pounced at the opportunity when it came up. Even made a trip out of picking it up in OH. Me, the wife, and two of our friends jumped in the 3500 with the the trailer drove to the village of Sugar Creek OH, spent the next day walking around the shops, eating, taking in the sights, and libations, laid over, got up early, left the girls at the hotel, drove to the dealer loaded it up, picked the girls up, got breakfast, and headed home. A Great time. I get my a$$ busted a lot that the family homestead looks like a golf course where the neighbor doesn't cut the hay, but after spending 5-6 days straight in a rig there is only two other places I'd rather be than in the cab, AC and tunes cranked, ice cold beer in the cup holder, de-stressing/relaxing "cutting the lawn"! Putt Putting around on the 530 or spending time with the wife and kids. That's why guys buy what they buy, serving many purposes at one time/expense.

Just my POV. Hope this helps. Allen.

P.S. To answer your question directly. At 33-35 hp the MAX width I would go is 12' more like 10', and you might be hard pressed to run that. It really depends on your land, grass height, moisture, and speed. from what you've stated it won't be that thick which will take less power, just can't have a mower that weighs more than tractor or you could be in real trouble . All I can tell you is if you can run one safely, you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.
    Last edited by jasper04; 01-27-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jasper04 For This Useful Post:

johnH123 (08-19-2017)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    This time, it's not green- rather it is orange. I was killing time on the woods site and ran across the BW12 12 foot batwing. I do a ton of mowing every year and it takes a lot of time- 2 and a half days to mow a 60 acre farm. Of course, I'm not getting anything this expensive for a while, so any discussion is purely pictorial, but I was wondering if 1) anyone has a 12 footer like this, and 2), the 4510 has 33 pto HP, just 2 less than spec calls for. Would the 4510 work?

Sorry, just realized you were talking about a bat-wing brush-hog. I wouldn't run that with your tractor. I was speaking of bat wing FINISH(lawn) mower. finish mowers take less power to run. Still hope this helps. At least you have another option, depending on grass conditions.

Allen.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

fwiw...

the specs call for 35 HP, and says its 2400 pounds/750 pound tongue weight.

-Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    I think the video guys estimate for acreage per hour was WAY off,,,
    Not including turns,, he would have to have been going 10MPH
    allow 30% for turns, and overlap,, he would have to go 13MPH,,,

He probably, realistically did more like 5 acres per hour,,,
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast