260 backhoe*users with a thumb, a few questions!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 260 backhoe*users with a thumb, a few questions!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

260 backhoe*users with a thumb, a few questions!

Looking into a thumb for our backhoe, but I'm wondering just how useful it really is. What sort of camping force do you think you get? And just how much can it lift? If I was to use it for logs for firewood, how long and thick of a log can the 260 and a*thumb manage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    That is a complicated question. I have the 260 but no thumb so I can't really state what it would lift. The specs only give a boom lifting capacity at full dipper arm and boom extension ( 285lbs ). Certainly much greater with both retracted somewhat. Also wood log weight will vary dramatically at the same diameters depending on specie and condition. I will be interested as well to hear from someone with experience using a thumb because firewood processing with the tractor is my idea of a good day.
    BigJim55, Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    I am curious about this thread and the use of a thumb as well. I've been looking at the BX thumb since I bought my tractor but my wish list keeps growing and the thumb keeps getting moved down the list for now.
    2016 1025r TLB, H120 loader with 53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar, Ken's hooks, 54" mechanical lift deck/auto connect & mulching kit, 260 backhoe with 12" bucket, Titan pallet forks, County line post hole auger
    1987 318, 50" deck

Reluctant member of hitting the Rops on the garage door TWICE
    (Gone but not forgotten) 1947 John Deere D, 1984 318, 1985 430
    Stihl MS290 20" bar
    Stihl FS110 Trimmer
    Stihl BR350 Backpack blower

99 Honda Foreman S

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 05:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joshn3448 View Post
    I am curious about this thread and the use of a thumb as well. I've been looking at the BX thumb since I bought my tractor but my wish list keeps growing and the thumb keeps getting moved down the list for now.
    The lift capacity is dynamic and depends on how far the boom is extended. It will easily grapple stumps and large concrete sections heavy enough to tilt the wheels of a 1025 off the ground if you swing the elevated boom side ways to load refuse into a dump trailer. After changing your shorts you will learn to curl your load straight back and lift it into a trailer backed straight up to it from the rear. Generally speaking, you can lift a load way too heavy for a wheelbarrow.

Ken Richmond
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks

Backhoe thumb

I purchased the thumb right away when I got my tractor. All the capacities of your backhoe, remain the same with the addition of the ability to grab.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisc1985 View Post
    Looking into a thumb for our backhoe, but I'm wondering just how useful it really is. What sort of camping force do you think you get? And just how much can it lift? If I was to use it for logs for firewood, how long and thick of a log can the 260 and a*thumb manage?
    I know my tractor is a 2032r but here is mine:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tek-thumb.html

I use it to clean the stream out on my property, have used it to pick up rocks that I could/would not lift and of course lifting large logs as you will see in the thread. I am sure there are other uses just have not had it that long to find out.
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    I discovered that the thumb is a very effective tool for removing barberry bushes including the roots. Barberry is an invasive species that is also a favorite haven for deer ticks here in the Northeast.

Because barberry grows in clumps, my method is to dig/loosen the root clump with the backhoe bucket then grasp the whole shebang with the bucket-thumb and yank it out of the ground. You may have to try several positions of the thumb to find the most effective one. I find that this method removes the entire root ball to prevent regrowth.

I pile up the bushes in huge piles and grab the pile with the Artillian grapple which handles it with ease for moving to a burn pile.
    RandyM, Jep, Drifterbike and 2 others like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I purchased the thumb right away when I got my tractor. All the capacities of your backhoe, remain the same with the addition of the ability to grab.
    That's great but I think the OP was trying to figure out if it was worth getting so that he could lift logs for cutting into firewood lengths. Do you have any recollection of diameter and lengths that you found the 260 could pick up and grip for this type of activity?
    lewisc1985, joshn3448 and Robnik like this.
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    The first post in the thread Shown in BillieS's reply shows exactly what you can do regarding logs with a thumb.

I've had a 2305 TLB and now have a 1026 TLB and have lifted slightly larger than that (but not much)... same thumb even
    Robnik likes this.
    1026R TLB (53", Artillian diverter, Ken's Hooks), 260BH (thumb, step), 60D MMM, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, land plane, tiller, aerator, Artillian forks, 50" wicked grapple
    IS700z (27HP B&S commercial, 61” deck)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterWare View Post
    The first post in the thread Shown in BillieS's reply shows exactly what you can do regarding logs with a thumb.

I've had a 2305 TLB and now have a 1026 TLB and have lifted slightly larger than that (but not much)... same thumb even
    That link showed a different backhoe I think, although a very small one like the 260. I was just wondering if a guy could state that he could generally pick up a log of x diameter and y length reliably. Just to get some idea.I know these machines are small.
    Robnik likes this.
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Artillian 36" forks
    Husky log splitter

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast