Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Ballast Alternative

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-16-2017 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks

Ballast Alternative

The thread about weights vs ballast box triggered a question. Has anyone considered using Olympic weight plates as ballast? Used 45 lb. plates are plentiful and run about .50 - .60 per lb. on Craigslist.
    etcallhome likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Thanks
    They work,, but,, do not look "right"

Then, you are trying to figure out a mount that does not break after 10 hours,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Omni actually makes a barbell weight rack for their hitch. Price is reasonable

OMNI Barbell Counter Weight Rack - OMNI Mfg LLC
    mjncad, RandyM, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Weights weight. It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty. It just has to be heavy. I can't remember right now where I saw it but someone bought a tsc drawbar, slid it through a small barrel and filled it with concrete. If I remember right the barrel was laid down on its side so it didn't need a top link. Just backed up with a quick hitch and picked it up. He said it worked great. In a pinch I have a tsc carry all platform. I hooked it up and put the weight I carry in the back of my truck in the winter on it. I have a Heavy Hitch I use when I clean out a livestock shelter I have. It doesn't stick out very far and I need all the room I can get in there. I get what I can with a skid steer but the roof is to short to get it in very far.
    Heavy Hitch, Levi, jdmich and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    They work,, but,, do not look "right"

Then, you are trying to figure out a mount that does not break after 10 hours,,,
    LOL, yeah they wouldn't look quite as nice but maybe if they were painted JD green.

Seems the durability of the mount would be the challenge.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    Omni actually makes a barbell weight rack for their hitch. Price is reasonable

OMNI Barbell Counter Weight Rack - OMNI Mfg LLC
    Thanks for the link. I was sure someone had thought about it and had a solution. The images on the site show 1 inch weights. I may contact them to see if they could do one to accommodate the 2 inch Olympic style weights.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    Weights weight. It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty. It just has to be heavy. I can't remember right now where I saw it but someone bought a tsc drawbar, slid it through a small barrel and filled it with concrete. If I remember right the barrel was laid down on its side so it didn't need a top link. Just backed up with a quick hitch and picked it up. He said it worked great. In a pinch I have a tsc carry all platform. I hooked it up and put the weight I carry in the back of my truck in the winter on it. I have a Heavy Hitch I use when I clean out a livestock shelter I have. It doesn't stick out very far and I need all the room I can get in there. I get what I can with a skid steer but the roof is to short to get it in very far.
    I remember seeing that thread. Wish I was that handy!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    I have 12 one inch plates. They weigh 52lbs. each so 624lbs total, right at the 3 point. I have had no problems with hauling a full bucket of sand. I also hauled my chicken coop which was apparently the weight limit for my 1025 with fork's. I do not have a good picture of weights on the tractor but you can see them in pic of my wife hauling pallets. They attach very quickly and store easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160825_191447206_HDR_1486345506283.jpg  
    etcallhome, fdmars, Levi and 2 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TD1025 For This Useful Post:

Minuteman17 (02-06-2017)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1025 View Post
    I have 12 one inch plates. They weigh 52lbs. each so 624lbs total, right at the 3 point. I have had no problems with hauling a full bucket of sand. I also hauled my chicken coop which was apparently the weight limit for my 1025 with fork's. I do not have a good picture of weights on the tractor but you can see them in pic of my wife hauling pallets. They attach very quickly and store easy.
    I like it. It looks as though it is simply a bar connected to the 2 lower points on the 3 point hitch. Is that correct? I struggle with spending a thousand bucks for a ballast solution.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 10:33 AM
    Thanks
    You are correct. I Took a 7/8" rod and drilled a hold in each end for the pins. I drilled a 15/16" hole in the center of each plate. I used a piece of pipe cut into sections to keep everything tight together. I took a piece of plywood and screwed a 2 x 2" board on each side to keep them put when not in use. Works well and easy to hook up. It was a cheap alternative to other options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170119_175454275_1486518696571.jpg  
    etcallhome and Levi like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast