Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: HELP! Jacked up my 54" plow.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks

HELP! Jacked up my 54" plow.

So we got a little snow here this morning. Went out to plow as always and jacked up my plow. So I need some help at this point in troubleshooting.

The basics: It's the standard Deer 54" plow on my 2032R but I have it mounted on the Artillian fork frame. It still uses all of the QuickHitch parts with the exception of the lift cylinder. To use the angle function, I disconnect the loader curl lines at the SCV and connect the angle lines in their place.

So I was out plowing with the plow straight (not angled). I was pushing a mound of snow off the side of the driveway and the right-hand corner of the plow mashed into an iceberg. Instead of the plow tipping forward, the moldboard angled to the right. But after doing that, it won't angle back to the left. In playing with it, it would go farther to the right, but not swing back left. (The angle cylinder is on the left-hand side of the plow and is fully extended.)

I finished plowing with it like that and then parked it in the garage. I just went out and did some tinkering trying to narrow down my problem.

I disconnected the angle cylinder lines at the SCV and connected up the bucket curl lines as if I had the bucket on. I started up the machine and played with the controls. The loader curl function seems to work fine so I assume that means my SCV is good to go.

I reconnected the angle cylinder lines to the SCV again. Same problem with not swinging left. The angle cylinder won't retract.

I swapped the angle cylinder left/right lines at the SCV. No bueno. Same problem still. Blade is fully angled right and will not swing left. Both lines do "jump" when I move the SCV lever so they are getting pressurized. It just won't retract the cylinder.

As it turns out, the lift and angle cylinders are the exact same part. Since I'm not using my lift cylinder, I have it as a "spare part". My plan it to go out tomorrow and swap the cylinder itself and see if that fixes it.

So what am I missing here? Did I mess up the angle cylinder? Is there something else I should be looking at?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts

HELP! Jacked up my 54" plow.

Jim, Any chance your quick hitch is bound up with a chunk of ice? Maybe remove the swing cylinder and make sure the blade will swing left to right. If it will you may have jammed the cylinder.

Last thing I'd check is the poppets on the swing hydraulic quick disconnects. One may have jammed due to the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 02-07-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Does this setup have a crossover relief valve?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Most likely not. The stock quick hitch uses a single, double-acting swing cylinder.
    Gizmo2, 56FordGuy, rydplrs and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Jim, Any chance your quick hitch is bound up with a chunk of ice? Maybe remove the swing cylinder and make sure the blade will swing left to right. If it will you may have jammed the cylinder.

Last thing I'd check is the poppets on the swing hydraulic quick disconnects. One may have jammed due to the impact.

I'd probably put the left side of the moldboard up against a tree, put pressure on it and try to angle the moldboard.

Could it be this? http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...s-54-plow.html
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 02-07-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    I have the exact same setup as you. It sounds like you may have blown the seal in the hydraulic cylinder, or you jammed it up tight against the wall with the cylinder piston. I bet you put the extra cylinder on it will work. If it does, you may want do want to do what someone else said here and see if you can jam the cylinder the opposite way and see if you can break it lose. If you break it lose and it still does not work I say you blew the seals and the piston is frozen at the top of the cylinder. That is one thing nice with artillian setup you gain an extra cylinder with it.
    etcallhome, rydplrs, Levi and 3 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Jim,

If you find you've got a bad swing cylinder let me know. I have one on the shelf doing nothing. You can have it if it will get you going or you can replace it when you get around to it. It's new with hoses and quick connects. Just down the street in Littleton.
    John Deere 3320
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

It is clear of any ice. When I got it in the garage I swept all the ice/snow out of it. There is a connection downstream in the lines with quick connects so maybe one of those jammed? I'll have to try disconnecting/reconnecting those tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    No. Booooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

I'd probably put the left side of the moldboard up against a tree, put pressure on it and try to angle the moldboard.

Could it be this? http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...s-54-plow.html
    I pushed the left side of the blade up against a snow bank. The blade straightened out but then as soon as I backed up and took pressure off the blade it went back to angling to the right.

I'll have to check out that thread and see if I can learn anything that might help!
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jim,

If you find you've got a bad swing cylinder let me know. I have one on the shelf doing nothing. You can have it if it will get you going or you can replace it when you get around to it. It's new with hoses and quick connects. Just down the street in Littleton.
    Thanks for the offer. I have the spare cylinder so I'm good to go. I just didn't feel like doing it today out in the driveway with the sleet coming down. It's supposed to be sunny and 55 tomorrow. I'll wait!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Superglidesport (02-07-2017)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    I'm willing to bet the cylinder is wrecked. The piston's in these are just pressed onto the rod.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast